My S7 Edge was working perfectly when I went to sleep. This morning, none of the apps are detecting the (very strong) wi-fi connection. Anything I try to open (Google, Google Play, Facebook, games, news, etc.) gives me a message that says the device is not connected to the internet. But it is.

I have powered off and back on three times. I have turned the wi-fi off and back on. It reconnects with no problem, strong signal. I am not in airplane mode. No other changes to settings. Any help is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Never mind. Just picked it up and all is normal again. I spent an hour trying to get it to work before posting. Erg.
    01-24-2017 07:03 AM
    Probably a problem with your ISP. Apps dont care if your wifi connection is strong. LOL all they care about is if its stable and passes data.
    Your device is at the end of a very long chain. At any point that chain can be broken. So more then likely its not your phone but somewhere down the line with your ISP.
    01-24-2017 11:36 AM
    Clearly my understanding of the relationships among device, ISP, apps has its boundaries. I appreciate your taking the time to respond and explain. Cheers.
    01-24-2017 12:21 PM
    NO worries. Happened to me as well. Had strong wifi (stable connection), my cable modem was synced up, but no data. Most of the time wifi fails the cable modem looses sync with its connection and its more obvious. But its happened where everything on my end should have worked but it didint.
    Theres an app called PING.
    I use it sometimes to see if im having wifi problems. it can send a ping to a server and if you have high packet loss it will show that as failed pings.
    This can be helpful when wifi gets weaker, you can have higher packet loss. Or if your ISP is having issues.
    01-24-2017 01:28 PM
    Thanks for the tip on PING. I'll check it out. I just don't understand having wi-fi but no data, but I have a feeling if someone explained it to me, I still wouldn't get it. Just thankful it's working now.
    01-24-2017 05:45 PM
    Your device is connected to a WiFi. YOur Wifi is connected to a modem of some kind. That goes to your internet service provider, who connects to something else who connects to a node that is linked to the internet. I know this explanation is super generic but bare with me. LOL
    At any point in the link a problem can occur. A DNS server could be malfunctioning, a router could be blocking data accidently. A DDOS attack could be happening. So many issues can creep up.
    Your phone is connected to the WiFi and its trusting its having access to data.
    Years ago some of the Nexus devices would have WiFi greyed out IF it didnt have an established connection to google servers. If you DID have a connection the WiFi icon would be blue. I actually liked that feature and wish they would being something like that back. BUT its rare when i have a network connection, either using cellular or WiFi and data fails. Especially if its a failure of all the data. More often then not its just an individual service that has a problem.
    Often times to get to a server like ebay or google or cnn you may have 10-15 hops. Those are links in the chain to get from your phone to the website your using.
    01-25-2017 08:14 AM