Forgot my S7E on the charger...

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That's me... And you can't refute what is fact. Making a habit of holding lithium ion batteries at their saturation voltage reduces their lifespan. Anyone telling you otherwise are the ones giving bad information.

Now, some devices limit their peak charge point, which, in turn, mitigates the degradation. But most current phones crank up the peak voltage up closer to the cells maximum safe charging limit in order to maximize the amount of stored charge... They figure you'll get rid of the thing before it degrades to the point of annoyance.

Oh, since everything has safety circuitry, leaving a fully charged phone in the charger won't cause a fault.. I.e. booms. But safety and longevity are two different things.

In fact, there are several laptop manufacturers that now include charging features that will allow the laptop to drain down to a much more gentle zone, only allowing the laptop to charge up 100% based on a schedule (such as if you expect to take it off the charger or dock every day at 9am).

This is true, but not pertinent to OP's question. This is what causes confusion. Yes, leaving a lithium ion battery or lithium polymer battery at 100% for an extended period is harmful to the battery (causes reduced the number of charge cycles). So leaving the computer to plugged at 100% all the time (as mountainman does) is not good for battery life unless your PC has software that automatically detects that pattern and discharges to lower charge level and limits the maximum charge level, as you state. However that is not the same as charging a phone overnight to 100% and then taking off the charger and using the phone during day (the scenario pertinent to OP's question). In that case, the average charge level of the phone is less than 100%. Keep in mind that max charging voltage is less than 100% of the battery's capacity on purpose given that charging overnight is a common practice with cell phones.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
That's me... And you can't refute what is fact. Making a habit of holding lithium ion batteries at their saturation voltage reduces their lifespan.

Yup, you are one of them.

And I have, currently, perfectly workable:

8e7123e0b8fed45401b869b30ed946cd.jpg

Blackberry Bold 9930
Apple iPhone 4
Moro Droid Razr M
iPhone 6s Plus
Samsung Tab

... that are in conflict to what you keep spreading like a virus around here. The people must know the truth.. I can't stop you from spreading the lie, but I can (and will) correct you when I see it. It's confusing to the community as a whole.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Wow. LOL not touching that one.

[Sarcasm]

Ok. Instead of just putting my phone on the charger when I go to bed -- EASY

Let's do it this way......

1). Never let my phone go below 50%, or above 80%. If I do, then I am apparently damaging my battery, voiding my insurance plan, sleeping with my neighbors wife, and kicking a pony.

2). When I do decide to charge my phone, I must allow ample time to charge it, because fast- charging is the DEVIL!!!! Fast charging will degrade my battery faster, which I am obviously against because I set aside time in my calendar to charge my phone and show me as "busy". My FaceTube friends "like" it when I check in at the bedside charging station.

3). Now that I have "me time" with just me and my smartphone, I am going to watch it charge from 51% to 80%. I'll check it every 5 minutes, and calculate the time remaining to my idea of a full charge using my TI-85.

4). During the charging process, I got the urge to purge. I can't take my phone off the charger and interrupt the electron party that is happening in there, so I find the most recent copy of Maximum PC and knock one into the cheap seats.

5). At 79%, I decide that enough is enough. I slip my precious off the charger, and I actually unplug the charger from the wall as well. That little LED light uses power you know.

6). I lay my head down, and I gently, softly, lovingly caress my precious as I check my twitter feed, which only includes @wolfpupy.

7). Good thing I have eked out every last % of battery life on this phone. Because I'm upgrading to the HTC Evo 5G Maxx Edge Plus this year. Someone on Swappa is going to be happy.

[/Sarcasm]

I hope this brought you a chuckle, and made you realize how ridiculous this whole battery debate is.

Davide Carozza

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
... that are in conflict to what you keep spreading like a virus around here. The people must know the truth.. I can't stop you from spreading the lie, but I can (and will) correct you when I see it. It's confusing to the community as a whole.

I will admit to being conflicted on the issue--I have read/heard contradictory things about how best to protect the battery life of electronics. But it's worth pointing out two things: 1) just posting a Google search doesn't prove much, especially because some of the links that show up actually say precisely the stuff you are dismissing. Here's a battery expert saying to keep your phone between 50-80%, and it's link number 2(!) from your search. 2) The fact that your devices are still working is not proof of much. For one thing, it's a very small sample, and for another, who knows, maybe their battery life could be even better.

I would personally err on the side of caution, but at the very least your "virus" commentary is uncalled for.

Last edited:

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
... that are in conflict to what you keep spreading like a virus around here. ...I can't stop you from spreading the lie, but I can (and will) correct you when I see it. It's confusing to the community as a whole.

Ease off the coffee :) I don't see anything LeoRex said that is not true. And it may useful information for someone who wants to maximize battery life. My comment just that in the context of OP's question and general lack of understanding of how batteries work, LeoRex's nuanced response could lead to to wrong conclusion. But he is correct: charging the battery to 80% instead of 100% WILL extend life of the battery. That said, I wouldn't call charging 80% a best practice because a best practice should optimize all relevant parameters (e.g., ease of use, time required, battery life etc.), not just one parameter (battery life).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/8e7123e0b8fed45401b869b30ed946cd.jpg

Blackberry Bold 9930
Apple iPhone 4
Moro Droid Razr M
iPhone 6s Plus
Samsung Tab

I'd like to know how you having devices that still power up refutes the fact that battery life has been reduced over the life of the device because of the charge/discharge cycles.

Even Apple specifies at what point they will cover battery replacement under normal or extended warranties based on how much it has degraded over time. They don't say "don't charge to 100%" but they know how many cycles you should get and how much it should degrade over those cycles.

Based on your logic something that is meant to be battery powered but is plugged in all the time should not suffer from loss of battery life should you choose to one day unplug it. I can tell you from experience that is not the case. I have a laptop that I basically used as a desktop for quite a while. It stayed plugged in 100% of the time. When I finally got an actual desktop I wanted to use the laptop as a laptop. Problem was the battery had degraded. It wouldn't charge to 100% anymore, the battery meter would jump around a bit, it would discharge very rapidly. (In hindsight I should have just removed the battery completely)

I ended up needing to replace the battery in the laptop. I have also noticed similar behavior in a tablet that one of my kids uses but keeps plugged in a lot of the time. Thankfully it's older and I'm not worried about the degradation, but it still happened.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170127/8e7123e0b8fed45401b869b30ed946cd.jpg

Blackberry Bold 9930
Apple iPhone 4
Moro Droid Razr M
iPhone 6s Plus
Samsung Tab

You're going to challenge a physicist who is backed up by nearly every data point available with accusations of lying and anecdotal accounts that don't even address his points ... Every time you see it? Interesting notion, but no... That's not going to happen. Despite your ad hominem attacks and venomous tone, your "facts" and logic are simply incorrect - and that's a problem for the forum because you are actually challenging the correct information with misinformation.

If you'd like to go get the same level of experience and expertise and come back as a subject matter expert, then anything you can add would be appreciated. If you're going to troll one of the actual experts, who is also coincidentally a moderator for this community, that's not going to be anywhere near as welcome.

dpham00 is right, time for a deep breath before going back into the fray.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A word from Huawei on new design in higher temperature performance batteries, that have longer life.

Huawei Achieves Major Breakthrough in Graphene-Assisted High Temperature Li-ion Batteries - huawei press center

Not to derail this any more... but until this shows up in an actual consumer product, I am going to toss it into the rather large landfill called "Amazing battery breakthroughs"... I think I've seen a story like this every month it seems for the past 20 years and not a single one has managed to become something tangible.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You're going to challenge a physicist who is backed up by nearly every data point available with accusations of lying and anecdotal accounts that don't even address his points ... Every time you see it? Interesting notion, but no... That's not going to happen. Despite your ad hominem attacks and venomous tone, your "facts" and logic are simply incorrect - and that's a problem for the forum because you are actually challenging the correct information with misinformation.

If you'd like to go get the same level of experience and expertise and come back as a subject matter expert, then anything you can add would be appreciated. If you're going to troll one of the actual experts, who is also coincidentally a moderator for this community, that's not going to be anywhere near as welcome.

dpham00 is right, time for a deep breath before going back into the fray.

And now I understand why people are confused on this forum.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes we forget that not all people are capable of critical thought.

...or really any thought. We are given 'facts' which we accept, internalize, and adhere to, even if/when completely disproven because we don't want to admit fallibility/fault.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung wireless charger at home and today, I forgot my S7 Edge on it. After 4 hours, I realized it was there and immediately removed it. I have disabled fast wireless charging and the phone was charging on normal speed only and it wasn't hot, nor even warm. Do you think it was damaged?

Thank you and appreciated.

My S7 edge is currently on a Samsung fast wireless charger....been there for about 3 days solid. Never gets warm...it will stop charging when it is at 100%.