01-27-2017 01:44 PM
44 12
tools
    I have a Samsung wireless charger at home and today, I forgot my S7 Edge on it. After 4 hours, I realized it was there and immediately removed it. I have disabled fast wireless charging and the phone was charging on normal speed only and it wasn't hot, nor even warm. Do you think it was damaged?

Thank you and appreciated.
    01-25-2017 01:59 PM
    It stops charging when it reaches 100%
    pankaj981, ToddK, Annharma and 2 others like this.
    01-25-2017 02:20 PM
    It was not damaged. Many people (including me) leave their phone on charger overnight since it automatically stops charging at 100% as justin points out.
    01-25-2017 02:30 PM
    I charge my phones overnight every night, and I've been doing that since I've been using smartphones. I've never had any issues.
    01-25-2017 02:33 PM
    IT'S GONNA BLOW!

No, really, the phone is smart enough to stop charging the battery once it reaches 100%, even if you have wireless fast charging enabled.

That's why they call it a smart phone.

(No that's not really why they call it smart phone)
    01-25-2017 02:36 PM
    I have a Samsung wireless charger at home and today, I forgot my S7 Edge on it. After 4 hours, I realized it was there and immediately removed it. I have disabled fast wireless charging and the phone was charging on normal speed only and it wasn't hot, nor even warm. Do you think it was damaged?

Thank you and appreciated.
    Lol. Better throw it out.

Seriously , is this your first piece of electronics ever? Is this a troll post?
    ToddK likes this.
    01-25-2017 06:18 PM
    It's nothing to worry about.

It can stay in the charger for days...

It stops charging at 100%, then uses the AC power to power the device, which will sleep peacefully. 😃
    01-25-2017 06:57 PM
    Actually I specialize in testing phones subjected to dangerous wireless overcharging. Please send it to me immediately for your own safety! I will test it thoroughly for a few months then send it back... honest. LOL

J/K It's fine. But you can send it to me just in case!
    01-25-2017 07:26 PM
    Lol epic
    01-26-2017 03:20 AM
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Appreciated.

And no, it wasn't a troll post, I just care about my tech.
    Aquila likes this.
    01-26-2017 05:10 AM
    I think we all care about our tech. But this is one not to worry about. Leave it on the charger, it won't hurt it.
    01-26-2017 06:38 AM
    Lol. Better throw it out.

Seriously , is this your first piece of electronics ever? Is this a troll post?
    What was that one Forest Gump quote?
    01-26-2017 09:36 AM
    I have the Samsung fast wireless charger. Sometimes when I remove the phone, the green charged LED on the charger stays lit. Other times it goes off. I am assuming it is supposed to be off. Is this a problem? Also when I leave the phone on the charger after charging, the battery temp stays at about 30C. This seems high,

Pat
    01-26-2017 10:17 AM
    The reason the OP was worried about leaving his phone in the charger is because of false information being spread on this forum.

I try to catch it and refute it when I see it, but there are still people in this community that insist, insist I tell you! ... that leaving the phone on the charger at 100% is bad. That is simply not true.

What will degrade your battery is discharging down to zero or close to, and constantly charging and discharging in the same manner.

In fact, when I am at a computer I just keep it on the charger at 100% all the time. My battery life and longevity is excellent when off the charger. Always has been with every device I've owned.

In conclusion, this was not a troll post, as I looked at his past posts and he does have the thought mentality I outlined above. I just think it's important to let people know the truth - leaving the phone on the charger is not a bad thing (with any modern smartphone, of course).
    01-26-2017 01:56 PM
    The reason the OP was worried about leaving his phone in the charger is because of false information being spread on this forum.

I try to catch it and refute it when I see it, but there are still people in this community that insist, insist I tell you! ... that leaving the phone on the charger at 100% is bad. That is simply not true.

What will degrade your battery is discharging down to zero or close to, and constantly charging and discharging in the same manner.

In fact, when I am at a computer I just keep it on the charger at 100% all the time. My battery life and longevity is excellent when off the charger. Always has been with every device I've owned.

In conclusion, this was not a troll post, as I looked at his past posts and he does have the thought mentality I outlined above. I just think it's important to let people know the truth - leaving the phone on the charger is not a bad thing (with any modern smartphone, of course).
    Boy, they could use you over here....

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=764386
    01-26-2017 05:17 PM
    Guys -- Let's all take a step back. There isn't anything wrong with someone asking a simple question (or as some like to refer to it as... "troll") -- The OP had a legit question / concern and wanted to know. No reason to belittle them for it.

Remember to be helpful -- not rude. No real reason for it -- If you want rude just turn the news on. I am sure something will pop up somewhere within a few minutes .
    01-26-2017 05:50 PM
    Don't worry, OP! Everything will be fine! The phone's battery is designed to stop charging once its 100% capacity is reached.
    01-26-2017 06:22 PM

That's me... And you can't refute what is fact. Making a habit of holding lithium ion batteries at their saturation voltage reduces their lifespan. Anyone telling you otherwise are the ones giving bad information.

Now, some devices limit their peak charge point, which, in turn, mitigates the degradation. But most current phones crank up the peak voltage up closer to the cells maximum safe charging limit in order to maximize the amount of stored charge... They figure you'll get rid of the thing before it degrades to the point of annoyance.

Oh, since everything has safety circuitry, leaving a fully charged phone in the charger won't cause a fault.. I.e. booms. But safety and longevity are two different things.

In fact, there are several laptop manufacturers that now include charging features that will allow the laptop to drain down to a much more gentle zone, only allowing the laptop to charge up 100% based on a schedule (such as if you expect to take it off the charger or dock every day at 9am).
    01-26-2017 06:28 PM
    That's me... And you can't refute what is fact. Making a habit of holding lithium ion batteries at their saturation voltage reduces their lifespan. Anyone telling you otherwise are the ones giving bad information.

Now, some devices limit their peak charge point, which, in turn, mitigates the degradation. But most current phones crank up the peak voltage up closer to the cells maximum safe charging limit in order to maximize the amount of stored charge... They figure you'll get rid of the thing before it degrades to the point of annoyance.

Oh, since everything has safety circuitry, leaving a fully charged phone in the charger won't cause a fault.. I.e. booms. But safety and longevity are two different things.

In fact, there are several laptop manufacturers that now include charging features that will allow the laptop to drain down to a much more gentle zone, only allowing the laptop to charge up 100% based on a schedule (such as if you expect to take it off the charger or dock every day at 9am).
    Exactly. Go over to laptop forums and see this exact same discussion and the argument for limiting charging in BIOS settings, e.g.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...althy_battery/
    01-26-2017 09:04 PM
    Another way to look at it... What's one thing that's pretty well known about storing batteries? Don't store them long them fully charged. Even if the battery was completely disconnected from the power when it hits 100% (it doesn't), if you leave it on overnight, 6 or 8 hours, over the course of a year, that means the battery was held at full charge for 3 to 4 months total.

Now, this might not bother you... Under normal usage patterns, charge to full once a day, etc, a battery will generally lose 10% - 15% of its capacity over the course of a year. If you limit that to 80% or even 90%, you'll lose less of that capacity. But then, even sealed batteries can be replaced.... So preserving that capacity might not be worth the trouble of dealing with losing some of the full charge. I certainly don't bother limiting a full charge (but I don't let it sit).

But whether or not I follow best practices doesn't mean they aren't best practices.
    01-26-2017 09:53 PM

This is true, but not pertinent to OP's question. This is what causes confusion. Yes, leaving a lithium ion battery or lithium polymer battery at 100% for an extended period is harmful to the battery (causes reduced the number of charge cycles). So leaving the computer to plugged at 100% all the time (as mountainman does) is not good for battery life unless your PC has software that automatically detects that pattern and discharges to lower charge level and limits the maximum charge level, as you state. However that is not the same as charging a phone overnight to 100% and then taking off the charger and using the phone during day (the scenario pertinent to OP's question). In that case, the average charge level of the phone is less than 100%. Keep in mind that max charging voltage is less than 100% of the battery's capacity on purpose given that charging overnight is a common practice with cell phones.
    01-26-2017 09:58 PM
    That's me... And you can't refute what is fact. Making a habit of holding lithium ion batteries at their saturation voltage reduces their lifespan.
    Yup, you are one of them.

And I have, currently, perfectly workable:

Blackberry Bold 9930
    Apple iPhone 4
    Moro Droid Razr M
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Samsung Tab

... that are in conflict to what you keep spreading like a virus around here. The people must know the truth.. I can't stop you from spreading the lie, but I can (and will) correct you when I see it. It's confusing to the community as a whole.
    01-26-2017 11:23 PM
    Boy, they could use you over here....

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=764386
    Wow. LOL not touching that one.

[Sarcasm]

Ok. Instead of just putting my phone on the charger when I go to bed -- EASY

Let's do it this way......

1). Never let my phone go below 50%, or above 80%. If I do, then I am apparently damaging my battery, voiding my insurance plan, sleeping with my neighbors wife, and kicking a pony.

2). When I do decide to charge my phone, I must allow ample time to charge it, because fast- charging is the DEVIL!!!! Fast charging will degrade my battery faster, which I am obviously against because I set aside time in my calendar to charge my phone and show me as "busy". My FaceTube friends "like" it when I check in at the bedside charging station.

3). Now that I have "me time" with just me and my smartphone, I am going to watch it charge from 51% to 80%. I'll check it every 5 minutes, and calculate the time remaining to my idea of a full charge using my TI-85.

4). During the charging process, I got the urge to purge. I can't take my phone off the charger and interrupt the electron party that is happening in there, so I find the most recent copy of Maximum PC and knock one into the cheap seats.

5). At 79%, I decide that enough is enough. I slip my precious off the charger, and I actually unplug the charger from the wall as well. That little LED light uses power you know.

6). I lay my head down, and I gently, softly, lovingly caress my precious as I check my twitter feed, which only includes @wolfpupy.

7). Good thing I have eked out every last % of battery life on this phone. Because I'm upgrading to the HTC Evo 5G Maxx Edge Plus this year. Someone on Swappa is going to be happy.

[/Sarcasm]

I hope this brought you a chuckle, and made you realize how ridiculous this whole battery debate is.
    01-27-2017 12:14 AM
    I had a good chuckle from #1 lol
    01-27-2017 07:17 AM
    ... that are in conflict to what you keep spreading like a virus around here. The people must know the truth.. I can't stop you from spreading the lie, but I can (and will) correct you when I see it. It's confusing to the community as a whole.
    I will admit to being conflicted on the issue--I have read/heard contradictory things about how best to protect the battery life of electronics. But it's worth pointing out two things: 1) just posting a Google search doesn't prove much, especially because some of the links that show up actually say precisely the stuff you are dismissing. Here's a battery expert saying to keep your phone between 50-80%, and it's link number 2(!) from your search. 2) The fact that your devices are still working is not proof of much. For one thing, it's a very small sample, and for another, who knows, maybe their battery life could be even better.

I would personally err on the side of caution, but at the very least your "virus" commentary is uncalled for.
    01-27-2017 08:20 AM
44 12