Has Smart Lock been removed from the new Galaxy S7 Edge?

S_Kinison

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
I have a new S7 Edge (purchased December '16) and the option for Smart Lock features appears to have been completely removed. All of the instructions I can find say to open:

- Settings
- Lock screen and Security
- Secure Lock Settings
- Smart Lock

...and then go on from there. In my own S7 Edge the "Secure lock settings" simply isn't listed at all under Lock screen and security. I did a search on my phone for "smart lock" and "secure lock" with zero results.

Have they just removed the option completely? Too bad... I really could have used that for work and home. I'm using Android 6.0.1

S_Kinison

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I don't have that option at all. "Smart lock" and "Secure lock settings" are nowhere to be found on my G7 Edge from Verizon.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Security>Trust Agents, and make sure Smart Lock is turned on (if you see it there). Then go back and look for the Smart Lock menu.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings>Security>Trust Agents, and make sure Smart Lock is turned on (if you see it there). Then go back and look for the Smart Lock menu.

On my Phone, that setting is under Lockscreen and Security>Other Security Settings>Trust Agents. It may be the same for the OP.

S_Kinison

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Trust Agents is simply nowhere to be found. I also have the "Lockscreen and security" option (as opposed to just "Security"). Trust Agents isn't there.

In "Other security settings" there is nothing for Trust Agents there either.

Looks like, for whatever reason, its just been removed completely.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Looks like it's there, just hidden. I have an S7E on Verizon, purchased around the same time as the OP.

Best way to get to it seems to be to go into Settings then use the Search (upper right corner) to look for Smart Lock. It was at the bottom of the list for me.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Looks like it's there, just hidden. I have an S7E on Verizon, purchased around the same time as the OP.

Best way to get to it seems to be to go into Settings then use the Search (upper right corner) to look for Smart Lock. It was at the bottom of the list for me.
The OP already said he searched fir Smart Lock using the search box and it didn't come up with anything.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I don't have that option at all. "Smart lock" and "Secure lock settings" are nowhere to be found on my G7 Edge from Verizon.
I have Verizon coral blue. Bought Nov 24th. Lock screen is there. Take your phone to VZ store, it should be there.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is your phone tied to a corporate account of any sort? Exchange Server email, corporate network / VPN?

If so, it is possible that SmartLock has been disabled by corporate/MDM policy.

S_Kinison

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
"Lock screen and security" is in settings, but "Smart lock" and/or "Secure lock settings" simply aren't to be found.

It's a personal phone, no corp account or business phone, should be a regular deal.

I'll stop in to a store I guess. I'm hesitant to even try... when I ordered my original Note 7 I spent a total of 13 (yes, -13-) hours on the phone or in person at a store trying to get the original phone, then first exchanged Note 7, then my replacement G7 Edge. Every-single-step was screwed up with bad information and missteps. Horrible. If it isn't a quick fix, I'll cut my losses and just live without it, even though the Smart Lock sure would be nice to have.

S_Kinison

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
Yep, did specific searches for "smart lock", "secure lock", "lock", "smart", and even "secure". Only a few hits ever came up, none related to what we're looking for.