Well done Samsung the most expensive phone with the last nougat (almost) for a top smart phone

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Over six months since announced... And we are treated like idiots... At least keep us informed about the delay.. What other countries have it for months now.. Not carrier faults as I'm unlocked and paid nearly 1000 dollars. We at the forum and other forums are influencers e.g when friends and families ask us what phone to buy I always recommend high end Samsung.. Especially in the old days Replaceable batteries, easy to repair screens, hdmi, infra red all made these key differences to iPhone and blew away iPhone users when they saw these features (who in the last quarter outsold Samsung.. Once there is a real advantage with Samsung. But the final straw is there pathetic update policy and not keeping up informed... What other phones have all the bells and whistles and good update policy.
Samsung should issue an update statement saying what's going on... I feel disgusted with there view of us suckeres. Sorry to go on so long.. But we should all have updates by now. Look after your loyal customer base first.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Early Nougat was a mess when I was using my Nexus 6P. So waiting for them to get it right works for me. I just hope it's bug free.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung always drops the ball with updates you gotta know that by now. Google devices are the best, followed by LG, then HTC, then Samsung at the bottom

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Over six months since announced... And we are treated like idiots... At least keep us informed about the delay.. What other countries have it for months now.. Not carrier faults as I'm unlocked and paid nearly 1000 dollars. We at the forum and other forums are influencers e.g when friends and families ask us what phone to buy I always recommend high end Samsung.. Especially in the old days Replaceable batteries, easy to repair screens, hdmi, infra red all made these key differences to iPhone and blew away iPhone users when they saw these features (who in the last quarter outsold Samsung.. Once there is a real advantage with Samsung. But the final straw is there pathetic update policy and not keeping up informed... What other phones have all the bells and whistles and good update policy.
Samsung should issue an update statement saying what's going on... I feel disgusted with there view of us suckeres. Sorry to go on so long.. But we should all have updates by now. Look after your loyal customer base first.

Nougat is available in India since few days... Working great on my S7 edge

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Nice rant but instead of blaming Samsung how about the real source of the problem...the carriers. They tweak, delete, customize and add apps...then roll it out when it's ready, in their view.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Nice rant but instead of blaming Samsung how about the real source of the problem...the carriers. They tweak, delete, customize and add apps...then roll it out when it's ready, in their view.
Nope Samsung is to blame. My 100% unlocked S7 has not been updated yet. Samsung has suspended the rollout of Nougat for some unknown reason.

luis_banda

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Carriers are the worst thing about updating to a new Android version (and also with the security updates). But in this case, not only the S7/S7 edge with carriers don't have nougat. The unlocked (full price) s7 don't have nougat yet, just less than 10 countries have the update. The worst thing is that there are no news from Samsung about it. It's really a shame.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I agree that typically we can blame carriers (*cough, *cough, Verizon). But ultimately it is Samsung that pushes the update (with carrier approval).

I could be right or I could be wrong. But after the N7 debacle, I think Samsung is being extra cautious (perhaps overly cautious) so that their top of the line phone (which became the replacement for N7 users on the recall) seamlessly transitions and offers a bug free OS.

Every morning, before I rise out of bed, I manually check for an update. Every morning I'm met with disappointment but in this case, I can rationalize an explanation as to why we keep getting back-burnered.

I think the update isn't far away, but in the meantime, I'll happily use version 6.x.x until 7.0.0 is been tested 50 times over, ensuring we, the consumer, are given a clean update. Samsung's reputation regarding the N7 is far more popular than the OS it's not running, and I'm sure Samsung recognizes that. But I'm on the same impatient train everyone else is riding on. I'd like the update too!

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Geez. Just install the Nougat Beta if you're in such a hurry to have it. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint all participated in the official Samsung beta program (to various degrees) and it's so easy to instal it and revert back to MM if you want. I've been on it since November and enjoying 7.0 on my DD with no issues. Everything works except VR that I don't use anyway.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I would love to get into the beta program but there is no way to sign up now, you had to do it months ago. They even removed the app from the store.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has provided the versions to carriers, it's up to them to release to customers. In addition the Nougat version for the S7 and S7E is a very significant update. I addition to updated OS, all the core apps are updated. Not surprising it would take while.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Are you sure it's been "suspended"

See here;

Galaxy S7 - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G930F/

Galaxy S7 edge - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G935F/

After initially updating BTU unlocked S7s in the U.K. (important to note that BTU only covers unlocked devices bought direct from Samsung, not from official third party retailers for SIM-free unlocked devices like Carphone Warehouse which have XEU code), Samsung then rolled out the update to the UAE. Then a grand total of 4 carriers started pushing out updates; Vodafone in Germany, Orange in France, O2 in the Czech Republic and Meteor in Ireland. That's it.

So the total number of countries where unlocked phones have been updated is 1.5; the UAE and half of U.K. handsets.

It's evidently clear that the rollout for unlocked handsets has been suspended as the last unlocked devices to receive Nougat were in mid-January.

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Funny I was just mentioning this in the Samsung GS7edge - Verizon Users Thread:

"My only concern about using a beta firmware is using 3rd-party software to install it. That being said, I understand it is a necessary evil.

But I think the underlying statement about Nougat rolling out to carrier branded phones is that it is taking a ridiculous amount of time, users are left in the dark as to when and why they are being made to wait, they are tired of BS generic answers from carriers AND Samsung, and to top it all off, pretty much the rest of the world has it, but the USA doesn't.

If Nougat is such an improvement over Marshmallow, and Samsung's new UI is so damned awesome...why make users wait? While everyone else is enjoying a better experience, Samsung and the carriers (whomever is to blame) are actually upsetting users that don't have it - not making them want it more - making them want to jump to a Pixel C, Pixel XL, or god forbid an iPhone because their updates aren't up to the carrier..."

Was the "rant" justified? Perhaps... Is it going to be worth the wait if at all? Perhaps... Time will tell. If Samsung and the carriers are going to step up to provide better customer experiences, especially when it comes to upgrades...

Last edited:

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Definitely Samsung's fault, my phone was purchased unlocked. Plus carrier variants are getting security patches faster than me. I'm still on November.

jazz70

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Definitely Samsung's fault, my phone was purchased unlocked. Plus carrier variants are getting security patches faster than me. I'm still on November.

I can name one carrier that is behind you, Verizon

I'm on October 1st security patch with the last update from Big Red for the s7e was November 2016

My first guess when the Nougat OTA would drop for VZ was February/April but at the glacial pace Samsung and VZ are moving that first guess might have been too optimistic

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
From what I can gather Verizon is well Verizon. My point being was that how can carriers get the software out quicker than Samsung, when its Samsung who provide them with it in the first place.
I'm big on customer service and to be honest this has put me off Samsung for life and it's not just the phone, I have Samsung Tv's as well as Samsung fridge & freezer.
It's not just my sales they have lost, it's me all my friends and family go to for recommendations for all things tech.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

Don't blame the carriers. Samsung let's all these carriers on their phones. They sell more phones then Apple does and Apple doesn't let the carriers touch their phones

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the update runs out when it can - I suppose they want to really ensure that is has as few bugs as possible; especially given the Note 8 fiasco.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
See here;

Galaxy S7 - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G930F/

Galaxy S7 edge - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G935F/

After initially updating BTU unlocked S7s in the U.K. (important to note that BTU only covers unlocked devices bought direct from Samsung, not from official third party retailers for SIM-free unlocked devices like Carphone Warehouse which have XEU code), Samsung then rolled out the update to the UAE. Then a grand total of 4 carriers started pushing out updates; Vodafone in Germany, Orange in France, O2 in the Czech Republic and Meteor in Ireland. That's it.

So the total number of countries where unlocked phones have been updated is 1.5; the UAE and half of U.K. handsets.

It's evidently clear that the rollout for unlocked handsets has been suspended as the last unlocked devices to receive Nougat were in mid-January.

Other OEMs including HTC, Moto and Sony have also delayed Nougat on some devices. There must have been an issue found.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance