s7 edge and nougat heads up notifications

widget2k13

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
hi ,
im new to the forum but not to samsung phones, my s7 edge has been faultless until today when i updated it to 7.0

now i cannot receive a message without it displaying it in the top heads up which is no good to me as my phone is usually always on in the car etc and everyone in there can now see my messages.
there is no option to stop this except for turning off everything so you get no sound,vibration or preview where before you could just select to hide preview messages.
if there is no way to hide these then 7.0 is useless to me as i need my privacy and i also like to be notified of a message etc.
it is crazy if they leave it like this, how can i go back to 6.0 after updating ?

thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to Settings>Notifications, select your messaging app, and manually set the "Importance" to "No full screen interruption or peeking." (This is on my Nexus 6P -- the menu setup might be a little different on your phone.)

When you have a chance, head over to the Intros forum and tell us something about yourself! http://forums.androidcentral.com/introductions/

widget2k13

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
that heads up app worked great until nougat, it doesnt work with it on the s7

and there is no options anymore in the s7 with nougat to turn off heads up peeking you got to turn it all off or nothing, they have ruined it doing that

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

and there is no options anymore in the s7 with nougat to turn off heads up peeking you got to turn it all off or nothing, they have ruined it doing that
Did not know that, hopefully the developer will actually update to work on nougat if possible at all.

One of the reasons I hate updates, or I should say updates are a double edge sword, get some nice improvements, but at the price of losing other features and possible performance issues.

Well, guess headsoff isn't an option on nougat.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I was looking at the headsoff description, and there is a nougat note as you see below. Have you tried that, does it work after doing that?

eb47cd1b51f42da4642a9015d0be861c.jpg

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
If you just want to tweak your text messages notifications you can do that by downloading a third party messaging app like Textra. Whatsapp and messenger let you hide preview through the app. What other messages do you want to hide?

widget2k13

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
whatsapp hidden preview has never worked on the s7 edge that's why i had to use heads up software in the first place, its actually whatsapp that i need to hide it for mainly. it has the feature built into it yes but it actually doesn't work

widget2k13

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
seems like the solution is unlocking the hidden System UI Tuner - which seems to be available for every phone but the S7.

unless anyone knows any different ?

mayjas

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Finally found the solution on S7 Edge running Android Nougat, tried and testing, its working.

1.Follow the instructions here to install and use ADB

How to Install and Use ADB, the Android Debug Bridge Utility

2.Once it is installed and you have verified that it works (verification step is also given in the above page), just type the below command in the command (cmd.exe) window on the PC (phone should be connected by USB)

adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0

Basically its connecting your phone to the PC and sending a command through the PC emulator window to your phone system and disabling the heads up notifications.

If working for you all, lets spread the word to other forums too.

tnx
rgds
Mayur

widget2k13

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes on lock screen you can but not on home screen which is what I need, my phones normally on my holder in the car so I can listen to my music but every message now pops up showing everyone in my car my messages, very annoying

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
You can check out whatsapp plus. It's a whatsapp client on steroids. Maybe you'll find this feature in that app. It works and looks just like the whatsapp app. But it has so many extra features too.

bi Teme me

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the same exact issue that was not there before until the update, I guess we have to wait for Whatsapp to release a new update, I searched everywhere, and definitely I won't install a 3rd party app for that matter, it should be native and working like it was always before.

widget2k13

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
i just installed the latest whatsapp beta that is supposed to work on nougat but its still the same, i think its the actual phone software that's causing this and needs to be resolved by samsung

susan wheeler

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
i just installed the latest whatsapp beta that is supposed to work on nougat but its still the same, i think its the actual phone software that's causing this and needs to be resolved by samsung

I agree , this heads up pop up is rubbish. I even tried live chat with samsung and they tried saying it was whatsapp problem, which is rubbish as it was working fine before the update to nougat. I have been in to developer mode and the system ui tuner isn't even there either to try to fix it. This is a definite step backwards...not happy :( do you think they might fix this on the next patch/update. Does anyone know how to report and get an answer?

Last edited by a moderator: