Nougat battery life testing

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Tomorrow I'm going to use Facebook Lite to see how much it's affecting the battery life. I know it's a bit of a hog generally, it'll be interesting to see how the lite version compares

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Just to show some WiFi use, this was the kind of result I was getting on mobile on MM. About 2hrs SOT per 30% battery.

Attachments

• 229087.jpg
    229087.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 51

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
App usage. Note the high usage of system, not shown on GSAM pre Nougat. I'm unsure if this is a more accurate reading as there was a mandatory use of ADB to be able to see (give permission) individual app usage.

Attachments

• 229088.jpg
    229088.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 123

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
And System info. The wakelocks are very low compared to me periodically checking yesterday. *alarm* would've had near 200 wakelocks by now, but it's not even listed in the wakelock detail sectikn. Unsure what I've changed, if anything.

Attachments

• 229089.jpg
    229089.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 121

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I just hate the Facebook app so much... I want an app for facebook that remembers where I left off so I can start reading there.

ToddK

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just hate the Facebook app so much... I want an app for facebook that remembers where I left off so I can start reading there.
That drives me crazy too... I'll be reading a post, put the phone down to do something, and when I return, the timeline is refreshed and the post I was reading is long gone... Nowhere to be found.

...And the way is positively -destroys- the battery...

I've tried to use a browser, but it's just so "clunky"... Sigh. 😑

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Still downloading Nougat now, but have any of you guys done a factory reset? I always found that after a major update a factory reset really helps battery life. Backing up on smart switch while nougat downloads as we speak.

Who884l5

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Gah sprint and verizon seem to be the only ones without an update! Hopefully when i do update it doesnt shaft my phone anymore. Iv lost 1hr sot since the last security patch.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Still downloading Nougat now, but have any of you guys done a factory reset? I always found that after a major update a factory reset really helps battery life. Backing up on smart switch while nougat downloads as we speak.

Haven't yet, done several cache wipes to no avail. Shame as I was expecting more from this update. As I stated, it's as if the system is pushing the processors into the higher end just to keep things smooth and fast. Limiting the CPU via the power saving helps this, I might just leave it running in that mode constantly

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Having ran in medium power saving mode for the weekend, I've achieved what I can without affecting performance. I kinda let it ran as is and didn't measure anything, so there's no screenshots or analytical data to look through unfortunately. But I feel the battery was holding up a bit better and it also didn't run as warm. I'd recommend for the time being to just run in this mode anyway. All it does is limited the CPU to 70%, restricts background data (toggle), reduces resolution etc. Minimal things, but just makes me wonder if the CPU load reduction was how MM was running as standard? I don't feel I'm particularly losing performance for what I use my phone for with this restriction, maybe suffers when gaming? Either way, great for daily use, so try it out and see why you think.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Running no power saving mode here for the first few days has been quite acceptable. At home, wifi and strong cell signal, 1-2% per hour when idling. Out and about with signals varying (no wifi) 3-4% per hour. Total screen on time per day runs about 2 hours for my average use, I don't play games or watch movies in my average day. Only a few days, but at least as good as MM and maybe better.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Running no power saving mode here for the first few days has been quite acceptable. At home, wifi and strong cell signal, 1-2% per hour when idling. Out and about with signals varying (no wifi) 3-4% per hour. Total screen on time per day runs about 2 hours for my average use, I don't play games or watch movies in my average day. Only a few days, but at least as good as MM and maybe better.

Any screenshots of battery usage for this? I usually have a drain of 0.5-1%/hour when at home and connected to WiFi

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
This is me yesterday
Overall
62976f09aaae12046b86c95df649b496.jpg

SOT and still had over 25% battery left
8d4ce1a9e6fd56a0ccebfe8ab64da645.jpg

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

Wow, pretty outstanding. Care to tell us you radio settings, internet usage type and other settings such as screen brightness?

GSAM data is welcome to, I'd like to see what your android system processes are like as I'm unsure if I'm getting a lot of wakelocks.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Wow, pretty outstanding. Care to tell us you radio settings, internet usage type and other settings such as screen brightness?

GSAM data is welcome to, I'd like to see what your android system processes are like as I'm unsure if I'm getting a lot of wakelocks.

Hi there,

Not much has gone into it, I currently have the phone set to 3G/2G (Auto Connect) as 4G is incredibly spotty where I am.

I am mostly on WiFi which helps A LOT. If you spend more time on 3G or 4G you simply have no chance of getting great results, the Modems in these phones eat through the battery at an alarming rate at times when signal is poor.

Brightness is around 45%
Here's what my bar is sitting at:
02117959505a420c01b667abe68b2939.jpg

Here are the apps I have disabled:
a58e9177de53ec8a5979cfb8f1a049cf.jpg

I hope this helps.

I fully believe being mostly on WiFi is really what helps, otherwise I don't use Power Saving and I set my Display to WQHD as FHD really didn't make a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC