How to change between keyboards S7 Edge Android N

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For the life of me I cant figure out how to change between keyboards on Nougat. Its like there's a missing window/popup to select input method that used to be there in Android M.

This is what ive been doing.
Settings> General Management> Language and Input> Virtual Keyboard> There I can see all my keyboards installed, but cant change which one I want to use.

Thanks in advance.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I just figured this out this morning. In the settings, general settings, click language, then click on virtual keyboard. It lets you change the input method in there...nevermind I didn't read all the way duh. It's letting me change mine that way though

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had to install swiftkey, then enable it, just to get the select keyboard popup to show. after I selected swiftkey, no I can no longer get it to come back. Had to uninstall, then reinstall, just to select a different keyboard. What am I missing here.

Robert Austin2

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
For the life of me I cant figure out how to change between keyboards on Nougat. Its like there's a missing window/popup to select input method that used to be there in Android M.

Settings> General Management> Language and Input> Virtual Keyboard> There I can see all my keyboards installed, but cant change which one I want to use.

Thanks in advance.

Same here.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I just tried it and it worked fine. If you tap a field where the keyboard would typically pop up, and the swipe down the notification bar, the input option is still there, it let me switch between SwiftKey and Samsung keyboard without issue.
c654ffc5577a7d86b1d6b5f27af7e33e.jpg

4c68a11e59cca828d4e9e447ebc18740.jpg

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
OK. I see what you did. I didn't know that. The other way that I used to on M or any other version of Android was via the language and input settings menu.

Thank you tho.

BBrown2018

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
They didn't change it. That thing on the notification bar to change keyboards has been present since Jellybean. My Tab 4 still runs Jellybean and it has that when I have a keyboard open.

Here's a screenshot from my Tab

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170820/b484283edb8d6fb0831ddebc44362dce.jpg

Plus I can select the input in the language and input section. Just tap the default keyboard option. The guys in the previous posts have been missing that and going into the wrong menu.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170820/3e7259ad4048b6a7da6f623ed1eae33a.jpg
There is no defult keyboard option in Android N on Galaxy S7 edge. Or am I just missing it also.
0466b60b1885eb29ce5d3401480198e7.jpg

BBrown2018

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Uh no. They didn't. Not on my phone. I still have it. I already posted a screen shot.

Here's a video
https://youtu.be/JsYHUzAp9pU

I found out why you have it and we don't. Because we are in the US. Samsung hasn't been sued here by forcing users to use their software so they still make it as hard as they can to change it. Where as in other countries (mostly EU countries) they have been going after tech giants that don't make it easy to change stuff like that.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I found out why you have it and we don't. Because we are in the US. Samsung hasn't been sued here by forcing users to use their software so they still make it as hard as they can to change it. Where as in other countries (mostly EU countries) they have been going after tech giants that don't make it easy to change stuff like that.
It's actually easier to do from the drop down but hey I dunno. Mostly it's your carriers doing shady stuff. I mean AT&T did disable the mobile data toggle.

BBrown2018

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
It's actually easier to do from the drop down but hey I dunno. Mostly it's your carriers doing shady stuff. I mean AT&T did disable the mobile data toggle.

wow. I would for sure go after them if I used them cause I average about 30GB a month on usage. lol. and i guess added setting gives me more of a reason to get the international version next time. Just usually don't have that kind of money to pay all at once.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about "default", but it was really easy to set up GBoard on my AT&T S7 Edge on Nougat. The menus were buried a bit deep, admittedly, but it was there (disclaimer: I only have the AT&T edition, other carriers might have done other things):

Settings / General Management / Language and Input / Virtual Keyboard / Manage Keyboards

Turned Gboard ON
Turned Samsung keyboard OFF

Hope this helps....

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
wow. I would for sure go after them if I used them cause I average about 30GB a month on usage. lol. and i guess added setting gives me more of a reason to get the international version next time. Just usually don't have that kind of money to pay all at once.

They disabled the toggle, but you can still go into settings, or if you have a launcher like Nova you can make a settings toggle on your desktop. Admittedly is stinks that they turned off the toggle, which is very convenient. AT&T did the same thing on several of my phones with the Mobile Hotspot over the years. I was paying for it, but had to scour 5 menu options deep to turn it on (until I discovered that I could create a launcher straight to Hotspot setup on my desktop with Nova, or make a toggle in Power Toggles). Same thing with the flashlight (if anything deserves to be a toggle, it'd be the flashlight, right? AT&T disagrees apparently on some phones).

Ping Chan

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
Had the same problem but found out that you may go to play store, then installed apps, find the keyboard to switch to, click "open". The switch will be there.

Jonathan Dinsmore

Dec 23, 2018
Visit site

Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same issue, hoping for a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan Dinsmore

Dec 23, 2018
Visit site
Hey I got it, Ping Chan down there was right, you have to go into the app store, open the actual app, and it allows you to select it as a default keyboard (at least on Gboard, which is my preference). Totally stupid that they took away the toggle and made us do it that way (may have been the carrier, not Samsung), but anyway that worked for me, hope it works for you. Cheers, and Merry Christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo