New S7 Edge came with dead battery. Should I worry?

A

AC Question

Hi Everybody, I need your help and knowledge on an issue I encountered when I bought my s7 edge last week.

I bought the International version on Amazon for 579$. I get the new phone (box was definitely unopened), I try and turn it on but it does not start. I connect it to the charger and it seems like the battery was at 0%. I charge it to 100% and everything works fine.

Now usually whenever I buy new phones the battery has always some charge in it and the fact that this had none made me worry about a faulty battery.

It's hard for me to understand if the battery is draining to fast or not. The only info I could give you is that now I'm at 86% and the estimated battery life is around 13 h and 58 min. Is this a good parameter? should it be better?

I have the possibility to return it for a refund so then I could buy another one but it's kind of a pain so I would want to do it only if it's really necessary.

What are you guys thoughts on it? any suggestion?

Thanks a lot in advance

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Take into account that it can take a few cycles of recharging and discharging the battery before it'll reach its optimum output.

The battery also takes a bit of pounding at first with all the setting up and customisation you go through.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned over the battery being at low charge.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I will say, it's not normal in my experience for a phone to come with a dead battery usually there is the factory charge, but maybe yours was sitting in the warehouse for very long hence the battery eventually went out.

The phones battery estimation won't help for the 1st few days mate, its still learning how you use the phone so don't worry about that estimate number.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung preaches about keeping their battery above 20%. I would have serious reservations abou keeping this phone. I do not agree with any of the any of the above responses.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Samsung preaches about keeping their battery above 20%. I would have serious reservations abou keeping this phone. I do not agree with any of the any of the above responses.

I've never heard Samsung say this.

I always discharge use my phones till the battery reaches about 5% before recharging and have for years. I still have all of them in use today going back as far as five years and they still work perfectly well today.

I would not be worried about the OPs phone. The only time I would worry if it starts shutting off at say 30% or some other % which is obviously not normal.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. If the phone takes and holds a charge, then you should be OK.

Keep in mind that you'll likely have to charge it multiple times per day while you get it set to your liking. You'll have a better idea of battery life after the first week or so, after you've done all the setup and you get past the "gee whiz, look at what this thing can do" phase and just leave it on the desk when you're not using it.

It may put your mind at ease to grab Phone INFO *Samsung* from the Play store http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo. It will give you all sorts of info about your phone, including the manufacture date. That should let you know if the device has been sitting in a warehouse for a while.

Ipse_Tase

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I've never heard Samsung say this.

I always discharge use my phones till the battery reaches about 5% before recharging and have for years. I still have all of them in use today going back as far as five years and they still work perfectly well today.

I would not be worried about the OPs phone. The only time I would worry if it starts shutting off at say 30% or some other % which is obviously not normal.
I recommend a trip to Battery University to read about battery life and the discharge cycles.
Don't overcharge beyond 80% and don't drop below 20-25% and you will consume a LOT less battery cycles ( finite number as you know).
Get Accubattery to tell you the same thing....

If the phone was not ON in the box ( don't see how would it turn on automagically) I would at least keep track of charge /discharge cycles to see if there is an anomaly.
I had an ancient Galaxy S that sat in a drawer for 2 years and when I turned it on, it was still at 50% battery.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I recommend a trip to Battery University to read about battery life and the discharge cycles.
Don't overcharge beyond 80% and don't drop below 20-25% and you will consume a LOT less battery cycles ( finite number as you know).
Get Accubattery to tell you the same thing....

If the phone was not ON in the box ( don't see how would it turn on automagically) I would at least keep track of charge /discharge cycles to see if there is an anomaly.
I had an ancient Galaxy S that sat in a drawer for 2 years and when I turned it on, it was still at 50% battery.

I know about all of these recommendations and I just think they are silly. I always charge when my phones get to 5% and charge them too 100%. It works for me and always has. My oldest phone is an iPhone 6+ with 203 cycles and health of 98.8%. This is with discharging to 5% and charging to 100%.

People obsess too much about battery life. Just use the phone how you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888