06-22-2018 03:50 PM
63 123
tools
    As you can see from my picture my Android System Usage is very high and is accounting for 37% of the battery drain. I'm working shifts until Thursday so will leave the phone as is until then, if there's no improvement by then I'll factory reset it.

Things worth noting is that I use the app GSam Battery Monitor and it lists Combined App CPU as being 60% of the battery drain. But when you click on this for more info it says that Android N has changed permits to the app and as such it can't distinguish which app is responsible for the CPU utilization so it just chucks everything it can't distinguish into this bracket. It could theoretically be down to Android N OS. You can enable the app to get more detail of whats causing the drain but it involves using ADB to enable access to it.
    04-25-2017 03:32 AM
    I had the same problem. After 3 days reading the forums and testing "solutions" I decided to go for RESET.
    Before doing complete wipe I started with RESET SETTINGS - try it. It worked for me!
    No more battery drain. All apps and data saved. Took 1 min to restore my ringtone and theme.
    Pastorhss likes this.
    04-27-2017 10:28 AM
    I had the same problem. After 3 days reading the forums and testing "solutions" I decided to go for RESET.
    Before doing complete wipe I started with RESET SETTINGS - try it. It worked for me!
    No more battery drain. All apps and data saved. Took 1 min to restore my ringtone and theme.
    Thanks to all who continue to post and share their thoughts. I appreciate it.

God bless you all.

John 3.16
    04-27-2017 10:36 AM
    Can't complain about Nougat
    Attached Thumbnails Nougat battery drain awful - need help-4596.jpg  
    04-27-2017 12:27 PM
    2nd
    Attached Thumbnails Nougat battery drain awful - need help-4595.jpg  
    04-27-2017 12:27 PM
    I am unable to do a cache reset. When I push volume up, power and home I either end up changing my volume or activating google now. I don't know why I can't get to the cache menu. I used to be able to do it on marshmallow no problem.
    04-28-2017 08:00 AM
    I am unable to do a cache reset. When I push volume up, power and home I either end up changing my volume or activating google now. I don't know why I can't get to the cache menu. I used to be able to do it on marshmallow no problem.
    I think it is power, volume up and Bixby.
    04-28-2017 08:14 AM
    I have the S7 Edge and on marshmallow it was power, volume up and home but I can't get it to work on Nougat no matter how I press the buttons. Ultimately it activates the functionality of the button rather than the cache menu. Getting frustrated because I am definitely experiencing worse battery life.
    04-28-2017 08:40 AM
    I have the S7 Edge and on marshmallow it was power, volume up and home but I can't get it to work on Nougat no matter how I press the buttons. Ultimately it activates the functionality of the button rather than the cache menu. Getting frustrated because I am definitely experiencing worse battery life.
    Oh, I am sorry, I was in the S8 forum and then I saw your message. You have to do it with the unit powered offツ
    French likes this.
    04-28-2017 08:49 AM
    To do a cache reset you have to power down the device first, then hold the keys down while it is off (it will then power on).
    French likes this.
    04-28-2017 11:37 AM
    OMG THANK YOU LineKill and Gary_Berg! I was tearing my hair out/going nuts trying to figure out how to clear the cache.
    LineKill likes this.
    04-29-2017 09:26 AM
    I've Reset Settings, hopefully it'll do the trick!
    04-29-2017 12:27 PM
    Unfortunately this didn't work for me. I'm going to have to do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it i'm going to contact Samsung because this isn't really on.
    04-30-2017 11:44 AM
    Finally bit the bullet and factory reset last night. Current battery stats for today are below, note I have been messing around a lot with my phone today trying to get it setup correctly following the factory reset. Also note how Android System drain has gone from 36% to 6%!!:

Nougat battery drain awful - need help-bat-stats.png
    05-18-2017 06:18 AM
    Finally bit the bullet and factory reset last night. Current battery stats for today are below, note I have been messing around a lot with my phone today trying to get it setup correctly following the factory reset. Also note how Android System drain has gone from 36% to 6%!!:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat stats.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	260351
    I'd like to see how your numbers look in Gsam over say an 8 hour period.. i've never been able to see android system that low, not even on a bare/wiped phone for some reason. My phone is the tmobile s7 edge.. maybe its something about this phone i dunno, but the best it can muster is about 2% loss when off when at work (poor signal), often more like 5 or 6%/hr.. and at night i've managed to get it to 1.2%/hr at home loss when off.. a typical 1 hour of SOT over 7 hours is about 5.7%/hr for me.. as good as i can get it, despite trying everything.

Under android system IMSservice is usually the biggest culprit
    05-18-2017 01:28 PM
    GSM is pretty worthless after Android 7 update. It can't differentiate as to what apps are causing drain anymore and just lumps everything under Combined App CPU. I ended up uninstalling it because of this.
    05-20-2017 05:24 PM
    I updated and 2 % the os it's night and 50 left I think it could be better nougat
    08-10-2017 05:34 AM
    GSM is pretty worthless after Android 7 update. It can't differentiate as to what apps are causing drain anymore and just lumps everything under Combined App CPU. I ended up uninstalling it because of this.
    Do this (I did, works great):

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hon...ns-to-t3528453
    08-12-2017 04:29 PM
    If it helps at all as a base number(Android) mine runs at 3%, but I'm not what you young guys would call a power user. I have pretty much experienced all Android updates and have never had one make my phone worse. One thing I suggest is to make sure you're using wifi with a strong download/upload speed of at least 10mb. Mine is usually 50mb or more. Don't do it at a Starbucks with 2mb, or whatever it is they have.
    08-13-2017 04:08 AM
    I have this same problem. I bought the phone (SGS7E) 4 months ago, it was on OS version 7 from the start, or it updated itself during initial setup, I'm not sure.

I am getting between 28-36% Android System battery drain! My phone could last 50% longer without this BS!

I have Factory Reset it twice. The second time, after causing a boot loop with Package Disabler - I was trying to disable some of the 82 apps running under the "Android System" identifier, and I disabled one too many. Doesn't matter, disabling them does not decrease their drain one bit! (Even tho they do stop working...)

I'm at my wit's end. No matter what I do, "Android System" eats up a third of my battery! This is going to ruin my non-replacable battery in about a year, for no good reason.

Samsung tech support does not acknowledge the problem, or they send me to the repair shop, which tells me this is normal... BS!

Any help would be highly appreciated!

P.S. What does "Factory Reset without Restore" mean?
    If I'm supposed to do a factory reset, how am I supposed to get my data back, without triggering this problem?
    08-29-2017 07:13 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat stats.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	260351

I wouldn't celebrate just yet...

This version of Android reports battery usage differently than older ones.

What you're seeing is not the total percentage (what % of battery is being used) but rather think of it this way:

Your battery percentage is 59
    You're missing 41
    Of that 41, 6 has gone on Android System and 6 on Screen. NOT 6% of what is missing! Get it?

This means, when your battery drains further, this number will increase further.

To make an educated guess, your Android System is consuming 14.63% of your battery. (6 / 41 = 0.1463).

When your battery is almost empty, you will see the Android System drain at about 14% at least....

If you're lucky, that is!

Unfortunatelly, this could just be temporary, and it'll climb back up.

I don't know why they stupified the battery consumption percentages, but if you want better stats, one of the very best apps (IMHO) is System Panel 2.

You have to give it Usage Data Access and enable it in Accessibility, as well as use ADB to further enable it's monitoring abilities, but they've made this very easy - you just connect it to PC via USB and run their PC app, and suddenly the Android app can track exactly how much current an app or piece of hardware is using!

Here's a screenshot of mine.

I may be having more, than just one problem. In one of the attachments, the Android System battery consumption is absurd (28%). In another, 38.3% of total consumption is unaccounted for - the app can't determine what is draining the battery!

The third attachment shows the system's own battery consumption tracker, and "Android System" is at 31% with 10% of battery left to go. If I drained the battery to zero, "Android System" would have consumed 34%!

This is unacceptable, and the problem is obviously widespread. How could Samsung have overlooked something like that?
    Attached Thumbnails Nougat battery drain awful - need help-screenshot_20170829-144135.jpg   Nougat battery drain awful - need help-screenshot_20170829-143917.jpg   Nougat battery drain awful - need help-screenshot_20170828-192418.jpg  
    08-29-2017 08:07 AM
    Girlfriend you have my phone running like new thank you !!!!!!!!!
    08-29-2017 05:31 PM
    i decided to add GSAM to the mix, surprisingly it shows even more detail for the elusive "Android System" category...

Still doesn't tell me which of the 83 apps is doing what, but I does list the wakelocks and the sensors used, which can give you an idea.

But I still don't know, how to solve the problem...
    Attached Thumbnails Nougat battery drain awful - need help-20170830_074824.png   Nougat battery drain awful - need help-20170830_074738.jpg  
    08-30-2017 12:54 AM
    I know this forum is for the S7, but I am facing the same issue with a different phone and I believe the knowledgeable people in this forum might be able to help me. I have a LG LG X venture H700, when I got this phone (about 6 weeks ago), its battery lasted the whole day with heavy use and I still got to the end of the day with 40%+ left. Without changing anything at all, about 2 weeks ago (as I said, without changing anything at all) it started burning about 7%/hour in idle state. When I go to battery usage details, it shows Android System with high %. When I get to the details of Android, it shows "keep awake" with about the same time the phone has been unplugged from the charger. It looks like my phone doesn't go to sleep at all. Phone already came with nougat. Appreciate any help or suggestions. Emerson.
    09-18-2017 09:09 AM
    2 weeks ago (as I said, without changing anything at all) it started burning about 7%/hour in idle state. When I go to battery usage details, it shows Android System with high %. When I get to the details of Android, it shows "keep awake" with about the same time the phone has been unplugged from the charger. It looks like my phone doesn't go to sleep at all.
    Well, we haven't even solved the S7 problem, altho yours sounds even worse.

You should definitely install Gsam and perhaps Systempanel2, and use ADB to enable them to monitor this usage.

Maybe then you can pinpoint what the cause is, altho it sounds as if "Android System" is the main culprit. But you didn't mention the percentages it consumes...

I'm still at 30%, altho somehow this gets piled on top of everything else, when the phone IS in use. I managed to at least get it sleeping properly.
    09-18-2017 09:22 AM
63 123