Nougat battery drain awful - need help

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
GSM is pretty worthless after Android 7 update. It can't differentiate as to what apps are causing drain anymore and just lumps everything under Combined App CPU. I ended up uninstalling it because of this.

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If it helps at all as a base number(Android) mine runs at 3%, but I'm not what you young guys would call a power user. I have pretty much experienced all Android updates and have never had one make my phone worse. One thing I suggest is to make sure you're using wifi with a strong download/upload speed of at least 10mb. Mine is usually 50mb or more. Don't do it at a Starbucks with 2mb, or whatever it is they have.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I have this same problem. I bought the phone (SGS7E) 4 months ago, it was on OS version 7 from the start, or it updated itself during initial setup, I'm not sure.

I am getting between 28-36% Android System battery drain! My phone could last 50% longer without this BS!

I have Factory Reset it twice. The second time, after causing a boot loop with Package Disabler - I was trying to disable some of the 82 apps running under the "Android System" identifier, and I disabled one too many. Doesn't matter, disabling them does not decrease their drain one bit! (Even tho they do stop working...)

I'm at my wit's end. No matter what I do, "Android System" eats up a third of my battery! This is going to ruin my non-replacable battery in about a year, for no good reason.

Samsung tech support does not acknowledge the problem, or they send me to the repair shop, which tells me this is normal... BS!

Any help would be highly appreciated!

P.S. What does "Factory Reset without Restore" mean?
If I'm supposed to do a factory reset, how am I supposed to get my data back, without triggering this problem?

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Finally bit the bullet and factory reset last night. Current battery stats for today are below, note I have been messing around a lot with my phone today trying to get it setup correctly following the factory reset. Also note how Android System drain has gone from 36% to 6%!!:

View attachment 260351

I wouldn't celebrate just yet...

This version of Android reports battery usage differently than older ones.

What you're seeing is not the total percentage (what % of battery is being used) but rather think of it this way:

Your battery percentage is 59
You're missing 41
Of that 41, 6 has gone on Android System and 6 on Screen. NOT 6% of what is missing! Get it?

This means, when your battery drains further, this number will increase further.

To make an educated guess, your Android System is consuming 14.63% of your battery. (6 / 41 = 0.1463).

When your battery is almost empty, you will see the Android System drain at about 14% at least....

If you're lucky, that is!

Unfortunatelly, this could just be temporary, and it'll climb back up.

I don't know why they stupified the battery consumption percentages, but if you want better stats, one of the very best apps (IMHO) is System Panel 2.

You have to give it Usage Data Access and enable it in Accessibility, as well as use ADB to further enable it's monitoring abilities, but they've made this very easy - you just connect it to PC via USB and run their PC app, and suddenly the Android app can track exactly how much current an app or piece of hardware is using!

Here's a screenshot of mine.

I may be having more, than just one problem. In one of the attachments, the Android System battery consumption is absurd (28%). In another, 38.3% of total consumption is unaccounted for - the app can't determine what is draining the battery!

The third attachment shows the system's own battery consumption tracker, and "Android System" is at 31% with 10% of battery left to go. If I drained the battery to zero, "Android System" would have consumed 34%!

This is unacceptable, and the problem is obviously widespread. How could Samsung have overlooked something like that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170829-144135.jpg
    Screenshot_20170829-144135.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20170829-143917.jpg
    Screenshot_20170829-143917.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20170828-192418.jpg
    Screenshot_20170828-192418.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
i decided to add GSAM to the mix, surprisingly it shows even more detail for the elusive "Android System" category...

Still doesn't tell me which of the 83 apps is doing what, but I does list the wakelocks and the sensors used, which can give you an idea.

But I still don't know, how to solve the problem...

Attachments

• 20170830_074824.png
    20170830_074824.png
    178 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170830_074738.jpg
    20170830_074738.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
I know this forum is for the S7, but I am facing the same issue with a different phone and I believe the knowledgeable people in this forum might be able to help me. I have a LG LG X venture H700, when I got this phone (about 6 weeks ago), its battery lasted the whole day with heavy use and I still got to the end of the day with 40%+ left. Without changing anything at all, about 2 weeks ago (as I said, without changing anything at all) it started burning about 7%/hour in idle state. When I go to battery usage details, it shows Android System with high %. When I get to the details of Android, it shows "keep awake" with about the same time the phone has been unplugged from the charger. It looks like my phone doesn't go to sleep at all. Phone already came with nougat. Appreciate any help or suggestions. Emerson.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
2 weeks ago (as I said, without changing anything at all) it started burning about 7%/hour in idle state. When I go to battery usage details, it shows Android System with high %. When I get to the details of Android, it shows "keep awake" with about the same time the phone has been unplugged from the charger. It looks like my phone doesn't go to sleep at all.

Well, we haven't even solved the S7 problem, altho yours sounds even worse.

You should definitely install Gsam and perhaps Systempanel2, and use ADB to enable them to monitor this usage.

Maybe then you can pinpoint what the cause is, altho it sounds as if "Android System" is the main culprit. But you didn't mention the percentages it consumes...

I'm still at 30%, altho somehow this gets piled on top of everything else, when the phone IS in use. I managed to at least get it sleeping properly.

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you H8FKAndroid, it looks like i'm stuck with this for now. This is a company sponsored device, I can't change some settings, one of them is the "USB debugging" and as such I can't run Gsam or Systempanel2 at their fullest capabilities. I can't root the device either.

I will keep an eye at this conversation to see if someone will be able to com up with the solution, then maybe I will be able to apply it to LG as well.

debug off.jpg

Android.jpg

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Thank you H8FKAndroid, it looks like i'm stuck with this for now. This is a company sponsored device

Well maybe that's a good thing, because I assume someone at the company is responsible for them.

Perhaps you should turn to them with the problem?

But from your screenshots it seems Android System is only consuming 5%? If so, it's not the same problem.

Regardless, complain to the company about it not working properly...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you H8FKAndroid, it looks like i'm stuck with this for now. This is a company sponsored device, I can't change some settings, one of them is the "USB debugging" and as such I can't run Gsam or Systempanel2 at their fullest capabilities. I can't root the device either.

I will keep an eye at this conversation to see if someone will be able to com up with the solution, then maybe I will be able to apply it to LG as well.

View attachment 268861

View attachment 268862
Try clearing the system cache.

However since this is caused by an update, you may have to do a factory reset if a cache clearing doesn't help.

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
I have done factory reset twice already and installed only the very basic apps and disabled all apps that are not relevant. This is so frustrating, this phone's battery lasted the whole day, with heavy use, and still had 40%+ battery left at the end of the day. Now it's burning ~7%/hour sitting idle at my desk.

I also tried cleaning the cache, as instructed by LG support. No help as expected, since I had already done a factory default reset.

Really sorry for the dumb question, but how we can take this to Google in a way they will get back with an answer? Shouldn't they tell why Android started burning battery like crazy out of the blue? It seems this is not related to the device as my device is not the same for this thread and yet is presenting the same issue.

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
This screenshot was taken about 1 hour after I unplugged it. After few hours it gets to 40%+.

Even if I complain and they give me a new phone, if the problem is with the OS, it will show up again, I suspect.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This screenshot was taken about 1 hour after I unplugged it. After few hours it gets to 40%+.

Even if I complain and they give me a new phone, if the problem is with the OS, it will show up again, I suspect.
Honestly it would be better to ask LG users because LG's Android is different from Samsung's Android. They add different things which may cause your problems. On Samsungs the problem seems to be tied to Android System, whereas your problems come from somewhere else. So it would seem that it's not an Android problem but an LG problem. Without experience or access with a Nougat LG device, there's no way for most Samsung members to try and look at your case. Especially with the restriction where we can't properly see battery stats.

Google can't answer your question because as I said, LG modiefies Android to an extent that it's not entirely what Google produced.

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, surprisingly this morning my phone decided to go back to what it was before (at least so far, hopefully I'm not speaking too soon). With almost 2 hours of very light use, about 20 minutes with screen on, checked and replied few emails and few whatsapp messages, see how battery is holding on. I did NOT change anything, I only installed Systempanel2 to try to understand better what was killing the battery, yesterday the phone was still very hungry, so it cannot be that the Systempanel2 helped in anyway.

Fingers crossed it will stat this way. Usually by now, almost 2 hours after I unplugged it from the charger, at least 10% would have gone for sure.

battery back to normal.jpg

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Well, surprisingly this morning my phone decided to go back to what it was before (at least so far, hopefully I'm not speaking too soon). With almost 2 hours of very light use, about 20 minutes with screen on, checked and replied few emails and few whatsapp messages, see how battery is holding on. I did NOT change anything, I only installed Systempanel2 to try to understand better what was killing the battery, yesterday the phone was still very hungry, so it cannot be that the Systempanel2 helped in anyway.

Fingers crossed it will stat this way. Usually by now, almost 2 hours after I unplugged it from the charger, at least 10% would have gone for sure.

View attachment 269028

The first thing happened after i updated my phone to nougat was high Android System Usage...and i ended up using package disabler..disabled all at&t bloatware. Also try to disable all Gear VR background. Still my phone doesnt have the best battery life but atleast android system is now more stable.

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Wow my battery improved so much..i uninstall my messenger and facebook apps. replaced it with lite versions. And wow now my battery rocks. I posted also that my battery drains 1% per 5 minutes without doing anything with wifi on..1% per 4 minutes on messenger..After uninstalling those 2 apps and using lite. Now wifi on and im losing 1% per 13 minutes with messenger lite app running, poweramp uhq enabled, browsing internet.

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
My phone came originally with nougat. It worked great for few weeks, then for about one week it started training the battery like crazy, then out of the blue decided to go back to "normal". It has been working normally again for about a week, so I assume this will be my last post, I hope you guys can find a solution for the S7 and others as well. See below a recent screenshot. This is with light use. With heavy use I get to the end of the day with 40%+ left. I'm happy again with how the battery is holding on the whole day (or more).

Battery still full after whole day.jpg