How do I get an overview of new messages from all accounts?

A

AC Question

Hi, coming from windows phone, I'm used to seeing how many new mails have arrived in each of my mailaccounts at a glance, on the lockscreen.
It would simply have a mail icon for each account, with a number next to it.

On my new S7 Edge, I'm searching around for a way to do this. Even after opening the phone, I'm not getting there. Outlook is a 'dead' tile, and Samsung mail only displays total number of unread (147 or something). My WP would reset the number after opening the account, so it was super easy to keep up with incoming mail.

Please tell me there's a way to do this on the S7. I keep glancing at it every 5 minutes, wondering if I have new mail... There must be an 'account overview widget' or something? I don't need contents displayed, just if anything has arrived.

Thx in advance,
New Android user

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The unread badge count will only change when you've actually read the unread mail. It should still go up when new mail comes in, but it also depends on the sync interval for the email accounts. You can check those intervals by opening the Mail app, tap More>Settings, select the email account, and look for the sync interval setting.

Julian Topholm

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
Hi and thanks, even if I'm sorry to hear I can't get the mail number functionality i want.

Even more pressing question - How do I get an Icon for each account? As it is, I have to start the mail app, and then select the account I want to see - It's a major hassle. There must be a quick way of setting up seperate icons to start the app in each account?

Thanks.

StephaneM60

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Well, you will not be able to get exactly the same thing as with WP. Though if you're not using a Gmail account, you should try "Nine" as your email client. You'll be able to not only have an "All Folders / All Accounts" view (with corresponding icon with unread badge) but you can customize it as you want. I'm also coming from a Windows Phone, and for me Nine is really awsome (my favorite things are : all folder / all accounts view, the fact that swipe gesture allow multiple actions, that when you delete mail it also mark them as read)

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You can also use aquamail, it won't be a different icon but each account will display an icon. On the lock screen you can choose what is displayed. Mine is set up to see enough of the message to decide if I want to, leave untouched, mark read or delete... Which can also be done from the lock screen.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
The outlook mail app for android is pretty good. Coming from a windows phone, you may really like it. If you are using the Gmail app, you can put a widgets on your homescreen for each account. You can see at a glance what new messages you have in each widget.

Julian Topholm

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies... I'm improving things a bit by using Notifyer, and using 3 different mail apps. Only Gmail doesn't really work well, gotta find another one instead of that one. I'll check out Nine and Aquamail.
I generally can't get the Gmail app to do anything right.
Now I just need to fix the start screen, find a better app for texting, and figure out what I do with calendar.
The outlook app is fine for mails, and is a requirement for my company mail and calendar, only the calendar part is awful. I'm struggling with setting times for appointments, of which I add a lot.

I've been going around thinking android and IOS were way ahead of WP, it's been a tough wakeup call..

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been going around thinking android and IOS were way ahead of WP, it's been a tough wakeup call..

Most people would agree that Windows Phone's features are pretty good. (For example, WP seems to have superior handling of text messages while connected to Bluetooth while in a car.) But they would also agree that Android and iOS are still way way ahead of WP in terms of app availability, which will probably be most important to the majority of users.

Julian Topholm

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely agree - The app situation was bad, and getting worse every day.
I'm sure I'll find a good setup on the S7... Maybe someday, it will be possible to choose a predefined setup to save so many people the time of researching and setting up.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante