06-03-2017 02:21 AM
75 123
tools
    I know the firmware is different. Reset your phone without a sim...put the sim in and see what it says. I can't remember exactly but it starts setting up T-Mobile Software or something like that. And I know for a fact the updates have said "T-Mobile Has Sent an Update"
    Sorry, not sure what model you have, but for the SM-G935U that's just not the case. You can call Tmobile and ask them yourself. They have nothing to do with pushing updates for unlocked phones.

As for that screen when you first put the SIM in, that's just the phone telling you it's getting the correct APN settings for Tmobile since you're now using one of its sim cards. Doesn't change the software at all other than the configuraiton.
    02-24-2017 07:49 PM
    Yeah good luck getting anything worthwhile from a Samsung rep.

I'm not saying T-Mobile is sending the update. I'm saying with a T-Mobile sim (post paid, if that makes a diff) , the phone is basically a t-mobile phone, because, again, I can't remember exactly, but when I bought it, I remember putting in the sim and the phone started doing something to make me think, it's turning it into a t-mobile version. Like installing t-mobile software or setting up t-mobile..again..not sure exactly what. Also any updates that have come in have said, T-Mobile Has Sent you an Update...OR you have an update for your T-Mobile phone...one of the two...again..not typical of a pure unlocked phone...The T-Mobile term WAS in there somewhere in the update screen.
    02-24-2017 08:01 PM
    Yeah good luck getting anything worthwhile from a Samsung rep.

I'm not saying T-Mobile is sending the update. I'm saying with a T-Mobile sim (post paid, if that makes a diff) , the phone is basically a t-mobile phone, because, again, I can't remember exactly, but when I bought it, I remember putting in the sim and the phone started doing something to make me think, it's turning it into a t-mobile version. Like installing t-mobile software or setting up t-mobile..again..not sure exactly what. Also any updates that have come in have said, T-Mobile Has Sent you an Update...OR you have an update for your T-Mobile phone...one of the two...again..not typical of a pure unlocked phone...The T-Mobile term WAS in there somewhere in the update screen.
    I have a Tmobile postpaid SIM in my phone. It is not turned into a Tmobile phone. AGain, what you saw when you put the SIM in was the screen telling you the phone was setting up the Tmobile APNs. That's just it's way of saying it's configuring the network settings to work with Tmobile. It doesn't change anything about the software though to make it a Tmobile phone. As far as Tmobile is concerned, you still just have some unlocked phone on their network. You can use it, but that's the entirety of the support they provide for it. All software updates are done by the manufacturer.
    02-24-2017 08:05 PM
    Is it out for the unlocked phones?
    ...Is it out for the unlocked model?
    02-24-2017 09:51 PM
    ...Is it out for the unlocked model?
    No it has not been released for the US unlocked models yet.
    02-24-2017 10:13 PM
    No it has not been released for the US unlocked models yet.
    ...So there's nothing for Samsung to push at this time...
    02-25-2017 10:58 AM
    ...So there's nothing for Samsung to push at this time...
    Who suggested there was? The question has been WHY it hasn't been released. I (sort of) finally got an answer from Samsung. Read above.
    02-25-2017 12:37 PM
    Who suggested there was? The question has been WHY it hasn't been released. I (sort of) finally got an answer from Samsung. Read above.
    Why?

Because Samsung decided to do updates for the other models first.

It's that simple.
    02-25-2017 12:51 PM
    Why?

Because Samsung decided to do updates for the other models first.

It's that simple.
    No, it's actually NOT that simple. In fact, there IS an answer if you'd bother to read it. For whatever reason, you've just chosen to be rude throughout this entire thread, which is rather odd for a moderator of these forums.
    02-25-2017 12:52 PM
    We've been hoodwinked. We spent the most and receiving the least. I'll never buy a Samsung unlocked phone again. There's no advantage. I was a big advocate for Samsung phones since the six series but now I'm considering other phones.
    ...You assumed there would be an advantage when it comes to updates.

It doesn't matter if it's an unlocked-carrier free model. The OEM will update based on their priorities.
    02-25-2017 12:55 PM
    Ok. Got somewhere, maybe? Another person from Samsung called me back, apologized for all the confusion and seemed to at least make sense with the explanation. She sold the holdup is with the Smart Switch program, that they still need T-mobile and AT&T to sign off on it despite it being an unlocked phone, and that they're expecting that to be done within the next two weeks. As soon as that's done the update is ready to roll.

True? Who knows, but it at least makes more sense than the other runaround answers I've gotten so far.
    ..Is Samsung Smart Switch included in the AT&T and T-Mobile variants?

And if so, is Nougat available for those models?
    02-25-2017 12:57 PM
    No, it's actually NOT that simple. In fact, there IS an answer if you'd bother to read it. For whatever reason, you've just chosen to be rude throughout this entire thread, which is rather odd for a moderator of these forums.
    You incorrectly assumed that the unlocked model would get updates first.
    02-25-2017 12:58 PM
    ..Is Samsung Smart Switch included in the AT&T and T-Mobile variants?

And if so, is Nougat available for those models?
    You know the answer to both of those questions. Again, your attitude is unnecessary.

AT&T and Tmobile signed off on the software for their variants first. Samsung explained they're still waiting on them to sign off on it for the unlocked version. So, it's not Samsung that prioritized things, it's the carriers (which is understandable why they would). I could make an argument that Samsung can and should rework the software so it doesn't need carrier signoff for a small feature within the larger picture, but it is what it is. Samsung's update is ready to push as soon as they get the ok from both carriers, which again, was explained to me to be expected within 2 weeks.

See, I got an actual answer to my original question, unlike your dismissal of the question to begin with.
    02-25-2017 01:01 PM
    You know the answer to both of those questions. Again, your attitude is unnecessary.

AT&T and Tmobile signed off on the software for their variants first. Samsung explained they're still waiting on them to sign off on it for the unlocked version. So, it's not Samsung that prioritized things, it's the carriers (which is understandable why they would). I could make an argument that Samsung can and should rework the software so it doesn't need carrier signoff for a small feature within the larger picture, but it is what it is. Samsung's update is ready to push as soon as they get the ok from both carriers, which again, was explained to me to be expected within 2 weeks.

See, I got an actual answer to my original question, unlike your dismissal of the question to begin with.
    Going by simple history, where you know, the carrier models were getting security updates before the unlocked model, common sense would tell me that an OS update would probably come to those carrier models before the unlocked model.

Assuming that the unlocked model would.get the updates first is an incorrect assumption when there's other things in play.

Also - I think you're assuming Samsung submitted the update for the unlocked model at the same time (or before) Samsung submitted the carrier versions for carrier testing. Do you know that for sure? Or are you not assuming that? Which means, it's still entirely possible that Samsung worked on updates for the carrier models before the unlocked model.
    02-25-2017 01:09 PM
    Going by simple history, where you know, the carrier models were getting security updates before the unlocked model, common sense would tell me that an OS update would probably come to those carrier models before the unlocked model.

Assuming that the unlocked model would.get the updates first is an incorrect assumption when there's other things in play.

Also - I think you're assuming Samsung submitted the update for the unlocked model at the same time (or before) Samsung submitted the carrier versions for carrier testing. Do you know that for sure? Or are you not assuming that? Which means, it's still entirely possible that Samsung worked on updates for the carrier models before the unlocked model.
    I'm telling you what Samsung told me. Yes, they submitted the updates at the same time and got signoff from Verizon and Sprint quickly. They've been waiting on AT&T and Tmobile.

I'm done with this thread. I got my own answer. You added nothing to the discussion other than being rude. So, thanks for that.
    02-25-2017 01:12 PM
    I'm telling you what Samsung told me. Yes, they submitted the updates at the same time and got signoff from Verizon and Sprint quickly. They've been waiting on AT&T and Tmobile.

I'm done with this thread. I got my own answer. You added nothing to the discussion other than being rude. So, thanks for that.
    Still doesn't change that fact that the unlocked models are not guaranteed to get updates first.
    02-25-2017 01:14 PM
    Here are the facts we know
    1. Samsung will only push the update out not carriers
    2. Unlocked phones supposed to get update first most definitely, did it No
    Look at other unlocked phones in other countries they get it before their carriers
    3. Does it suck ummmm Yes
    4. We wait until one of us receives it
    02-25-2017 02:19 PM
    Here are the facts we know
    1. Samsung will only push the update out not carriers
    2. Unlocked phones supposed to get update first most definitely, did it No
    Look at other unlocked phones in other countries they get it before their carriers
    3. Does it suck ummmm Yes
    4. We wait until one of us receives it
    Updates to unlocked models before carrier models is not a fact.

Updates are not guaranteed to come first to the unlocked model. Are they supposed to? No one here can say that for sure.
    02-25-2017 02:24 PM
    You right it's not a fact for US version
    But around the world it is a fact
    02-25-2017 02:30 PM
    You right it's not a fact for US version
    But around the world it is a fact
    So all I'd need to do is find a single case where a carrier model got an update before an unlocked model to make that "fact" not a fact.
    02-25-2017 02:35 PM
    You can do whatever your heart desires ....if you have facts please share them , do you know which phone was first to receive nougat ? Was it a carrier phone or unlocked ?
    Meaning Samsung phones
    02-25-2017 02:41 PM
    I've got an unlocked S7e in the Uk on XEU with no update to nougat, yet some carriers in the uk have started to push out nougat, same for what I've read of the international unlocked versions, carriers are pushing updates ahead of Samsung.
    Samsung have really dropped the ball on this, its put me of them for life.
    Just to clarify I mean unlocked ones not purchased direct from Samsung.
    02-26-2017 02:08 AM
    I'm in the Uk and bought a sim free Unbranded s7 edge.

Its CsC is XEU.

I'm still awaiting the N update.

There are owners over here that have received the Nougat Update who are using Uk Carrier Branded phones before me.

Personally I buy sim free Unbranded phones because they have no network bloat ware on them , and the network has no intervention on what's removed or tweaked, and I do not have to go through any process of unlocking them to be able to use another Network SIM card in it.

In the past it has been the case or indeed assumption that Unbranded phones received an update faster than a network Branded variant which imo is no longer the case.

My opinion is that a leaf should be taken out of Apples book where iOS is pushed out only by Apple and available on a certain date to all the iPhones / IPads that are eligible to accept it.
    02-26-2017 02:11 AM
    You can do whatever your heart desires ....if you have facts please share them , do you know which phone was first to receive nougat ? Was it a carrier phone or unlocked ?
    Meaning Samsung phones
    The two posts before this one.
    02-26-2017 03:15 AM
    Thats quite pathetic samsung is slower than carriers atm unless they are gonna do the os update quartely like security patches. And yes, common sense tells unlocked usually gets updates first, hence the HTC 10 getting nougat in like November while my verizon version still doesnt have it and no sign of it. Just like the verizon nexus 6 was slower to get updates than unlocked. Whatz the point in buying an unlocked phone then? Surely i could almost care less to buy an unlocked phone full price, just to get rid of a couple apps of bloatware and delayed updates that i couldve gotten quicker being stuck on an inconsistent carrier
    02-26-2017 03:31 AM
75 123