Unlocked SM-G935U Nougat Update???

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm telling you what Samsung told me. Yes, they submitted the updates at the same time and got signoff from Verizon and Sprint quickly. They've been waiting on AT&T and Tmobile.

I'm done with this thread. I got my own answer. You added nothing to the discussion other than being rude. So, thanks for that.

Still doesn't change that fact that the unlocked models are not guaranteed to get updates first.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Here are the facts we know
1. Samsung will only push the update out not carriers
2. Unlocked phones supposed to get update first most definitely, did it No
Look at other unlocked phones in other countries they get it before their carriers
3. Does it suck ummmm Yes
4. We wait until one of us receives it

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Here are the facts we know
1. Samsung will only push the update out not carriers
2. Unlocked phones supposed to get update first most definitely, did it No
Look at other unlocked phones in other countries they get it before their carriers
3. Does it suck ummmm Yes
4. We wait until one of us receives it
Updates to unlocked models before carrier models is not a fact.

Updates are not guaranteed to come first to the unlocked model. Are they supposed to? No one here can say that for sure.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You right it's not a fact for US version
But around the world it is a fact

So all I'd need to do is find a single case where a carrier model got an update before an unlocked model to make that "fact" not a fact.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You can do whatever your heart desires ....if you have facts please share them , do you know which phone was first to receive nougat ? Was it a carrier phone or unlocked ?
Meaning Samsung phones

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I've got an unlocked S7e in the Uk on XEU with no update to nougat, yet some carriers in the uk have started to push out nougat, same for what I've read of the international unlocked versions, carriers are pushing updates ahead of Samsung.
Samsung have really dropped the ball on this, its put me of them for life.
Just to clarify I mean unlocked ones not purchased direct from Samsung.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the Uk and bought a sim free Unbranded s7 edge.

Its CsC is XEU.

I'm still awaiting the N update.

There are owners over here that have received the Nougat Update who are using Uk Carrier Branded phones before me.

Personally I buy sim free Unbranded phones because they have no network bloat ware on them , and the network has no intervention on what's removed or tweaked, and I do not have to go through any process of unlocking them to be able to use another Network SIM card in it.

In the past it has been the case or indeed assumption that Unbranded phones received an update faster than a network Branded variant which imo is no longer the case.

My opinion is that a leaf should be taken out of Apples book where iOS is pushed out only by Apple and available on a certain date to all the iPhones / IPads that are eligible to accept it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You can do whatever your heart desires ....if you have facts please share them , do you know which phone was first to receive nougat ? Was it a carrier phone or unlocked ?
Meaning Samsung phones

The two posts before this one.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thats quite pathetic samsung is slower than carriers atm unless they are gonna do the os update quartely like security patches. And yes, common sense tells unlocked usually gets updates first, hence the HTC 10 getting nougat in like November while my verizon version still doesnt have it and no sign of it. Just like the verizon nexus 6 was slower to get updates than unlocked. Whatz the point in buying an unlocked phone then? Surely i could almost care less to buy an unlocked phone full price, just to get rid of a couple apps of bloatware and delayed updates that i couldve gotten quicker being stuck on an inconsistent carrier

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ry
Why the unlocked Samsung device got the roll out first...then went to carriers?

Attachments

• 518.jpg
    518.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 127

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Samsung in the uk did indeed push it out to unlocked phones but this was on BTU purchased direct from Samsung, all other unlocked phones purchased from elsewhere(including phones purchased from the Samsung experience store) got shafted.

phatinum

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation here in the UK. I purchased a sim-free carrier unbranded/unlocked S7 edge and I am still without the Nougat update, even though the carrier branded/locked devices have received it here. It's so frustrating. I have always gone sim-free and always received updates before carriers. This is my first experience with it being the other way around. I just don't understand it. Obviously Nougat is ready for unlocked devices as carriers have had it, modified it and released it.

Joao de Souza

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
A bit frustrated here as well. Bought an unlocked phone so I could travel, and not be locked to a carrier.

I suspect the update won't come out for a while. My prediction is they'll try to push the S8 out first before updating unlocked S7e's in the US.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A bit frustrated here as well. Bought an unlocked phone so I could travel, and not be locked to a carrier.

I suspect the update won't come out for a while. My prediction is they'll try to push the S8 out first before updating unlocked S7e's in the US.

..to be fair - you're still free to travel and you're not locked to a carrier.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That is kind of irrelevant.

..How so? The poster I quoted said that they bought the phone for the reasons they listed. While "frustrated" about the lack of an update, the phone still does what they bought it for.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
..How so? The poster I quoted said that they bought the phone for the reasons they listed. While "frustrated" about the lack of an update, the phone still does what they bought it for.
I stand corrected. Although I didn't see where they listed the other reasons I do understand what you are saying. My apologies. Edit: Now I see exactly what they had bought it for and you are 100% right and I do agree with you. I hope you will not hold my stupidity against me. I am still trying to figure out how everything works here.

Last edited: