Unlocked SM-G935U Nougat Update???

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok. Got somewhere, maybe? Another person from Samsung called me back, apologized for all the confusion and seemed to at least make sense with the explanation. She sold the holdup is with the Smart Switch program, that they still need T-mobile and AT&T to sign off on it despite it being an unlocked phone, and that they're expecting that to be done within the next two weeks. As soon as that's done the update is ready to roll.

True? Who knows, but it at least makes more sense than the other runaround answers I've gotten so far.

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
They don't understand it comes directly from Samsung, if it was from a carrier like t-mobile it would say t-mobile software update available or up to date
It actually does. If you pay attention to when you first use the phone with a T-Mobile SIM...the phone goes into sort of a "T-Mobile Phone" mode. Every update I have had on this phone, has said "T-Mobile Has Sent You An Update"
The phone is unlocked and the model # is different...but it is still acting as a T-Mobile Phone when it comes to updates. Just doesn't force T-Mobile bloatware on you.

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
It actually does. If you pay attention to when you first use the phone with a T-Mobile SIM...the phone goes into sort of a "T-Mobile Phone" mode. Every update I have had on this phone, has said "T-Mobile Has Sent You An Update"
The phone is unlocked and the model # is different...but it is still acting as a T-Mobile Phone when it comes to updates. Just doesn't force T-Mobile bloatware on you.

That is not correct. The firmware for T-mobile's version of the phone (which they push out themselves) and the unlocked version are entirely different. Tmobile has nothing to do with it.

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I know the firmware is different. Reset your phone without a sim...put the sim in and see what it says. I can't remember exactly but it starts setting up T-Mobile Software or something like that. And I know for a fact the updates have said "T-Mobile Has Sent an Update"

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
T-mobile does not send update to unlocked s7 edge device....the boot up animation is Samsung no t-mobile, put phone on recovery and your welcomed with a blue screen and Android bot.... these phones are only getting software updates from their manufacturer Samsung...
What t-mobile has the ability to change a software to bare Samsung and other for their t-mobile phones ?
That's what you trying to say?
You need to get hold of Samsung enginer team to find out.
If you call the customer care center of Samsung they can only help you with what to do with broken phone or sell u a phone they have no clue when Samsung will release a software update to unlocked phones

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I know the firmware is different. Reset your phone without a sim...put the sim in and see what it says. I can't remember exactly but it starts setting up T-Mobile Software or something like that. And I know for a fact the updates have said "T-Mobile Has Sent an Update"

Sorry, not sure what model you have, but for the SM-G935U that's just not the case. You can call Tmobile and ask them yourself. They have nothing to do with pushing updates for unlocked phones.

As for that screen when you first put the SIM in, that's just the phone telling you it's getting the correct APN settings for Tmobile since you're now using one of its sim cards. Doesn't change the software at all other than the configuraiton.

accordex#AC

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah good luck getting anything worthwhile from a Samsung rep.

I'm not saying T-Mobile is sending the update. I'm saying with a T-Mobile sim (post paid, if that makes a diff) , the phone is basically a t-mobile phone, because, again, I can't remember exactly, but when I bought it, I remember putting in the sim and the phone started doing something to make me think, it's turning it into a t-mobile version. Like installing t-mobile software or setting up t-mobile..again..not sure exactly what. Also any updates that have come in have said, T-Mobile Has Sent you an Update...OR you have an update for your T-Mobile phone...one of the two...again..not typical of a pure unlocked phone...The T-Mobile term WAS in there somewhere in the update screen.

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Yeah good luck getting anything worthwhile from a Samsung rep.

I'm not saying T-Mobile is sending the update. I'm saying with a T-Mobile sim (post paid, if that makes a diff) , the phone is basically a t-mobile phone, because, again, I can't remember exactly, but when I bought it, I remember putting in the sim and the phone started doing something to make me think, it's turning it into a t-mobile version. Like installing t-mobile software or setting up t-mobile..again..not sure exactly what. Also any updates that have come in have said, T-Mobile Has Sent you an Update...OR you have an update for your T-Mobile phone...one of the two...again..not typical of a pure unlocked phone...The T-Mobile term WAS in there somewhere in the update screen.

I have a Tmobile postpaid SIM in my phone. It is not turned into a Tmobile phone. AGain, what you saw when you put the SIM in was the screen telling you the phone was setting up the Tmobile APNs. That's just it's way of saying it's configuring the network settings to work with Tmobile. It doesn't change anything about the software though to make it a Tmobile phone. As far as Tmobile is concerned, you still just have some unlocked phone on their network. You can use it, but that's the entirety of the support they provide for it. All software updates are done by the manufacturer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Who suggested there was? The question has been WHY it hasn't been released. I (sort of) finally got an answer from Samsung. Read above.

Why?

Because Samsung decided to do updates for the other models first.

It's that simple.

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Why?

Because Samsung decided to do updates for the other models first.

It's that simple.

No, it's actually NOT that simple. In fact, there IS an answer if you'd bother to read it. For whatever reason, you've just chosen to be rude throughout this entire thread, which is rather odd for a moderator of these forums.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We've been hoodwinked. We spent the most and receiving the least. I'll never buy a Samsung unlocked phone again. There's no advantage. I was a big advocate for Samsung phones since the six series but now I'm considering other phones.
...You assumed there would be an advantage when it comes to updates.

It doesn't matter if it's an unlocked-carrier free model. The OEM will update based on their priorities.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Got somewhere, maybe? Another person from Samsung called me back, apologized for all the confusion and seemed to at least make sense with the explanation. She sold the holdup is with the Smart Switch program, that they still need T-mobile and AT&T to sign off on it despite it being an unlocked phone, and that they're expecting that to be done within the next two weeks. As soon as that's done the update is ready to roll.

True? Who knows, but it at least makes more sense than the other runaround answers I've gotten so far.
..Is Samsung Smart Switch included in the AT&T and T-Mobile variants?

And if so, is Nougat available for those models?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No, it's actually NOT that simple. In fact, there IS an answer if you'd bother to read it. For whatever reason, you've just chosen to be rude throughout this entire thread, which is rather odd for a moderator of these forums.
You incorrectly assumed that the unlocked model would get updates first.

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
..Is Samsung Smart Switch included in the AT&T and T-Mobile variants?

And if so, is Nougat available for those models?

You know the answer to both of those questions. Again, your attitude is unnecessary.

AT&T and Tmobile signed off on the software for their variants first. Samsung explained they're still waiting on them to sign off on it for the unlocked version. So, it's not Samsung that prioritized things, it's the carriers (which is understandable why they would). I could make an argument that Samsung can and should rework the software so it doesn't need carrier signoff for a small feature within the larger picture, but it is what it is. Samsung's update is ready to push as soon as they get the ok from both carriers, which again, was explained to me to be expected within 2 weeks.

See, I got an actual answer to my original question, unlike your dismissal of the question to begin with.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You know the answer to both of those questions. Again, your attitude is unnecessary.

AT&T and Tmobile signed off on the software for their variants first. Samsung explained they're still waiting on them to sign off on it for the unlocked version. So, it's not Samsung that prioritized things, it's the carriers (which is understandable why they would). I could make an argument that Samsung can and should rework the software so it doesn't need carrier signoff for a small feature within the larger picture, but it is what it is. Samsung's update is ready to push as soon as they get the ok from both carriers, which again, was explained to me to be expected within 2 weeks.

See, I got an actual answer to my original question, unlike your dismissal of the question to begin with.

Going by simple history, where you know, the carrier models were getting security updates before the unlocked model, common sense would tell me that an OS update would probably come to those carrier models before the unlocked model.

Assuming that the unlocked model would.get the updates first is an incorrect assumption when there's other things in play.

Also - I think you're assuming Samsung submitted the update for the unlocked model at the same time (or before) Samsung submitted the carrier versions for carrier testing. Do you know that for sure? Or are you not assuming that? Which means, it's still entirely possible that Samsung worked on updates for the carrier models before the unlocked model.

slick5150

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Going by simple history, where you know, the carrier models were getting security updates before the unlocked model, common sense would tell me that an OS update would probably come to those carrier models before the unlocked model.

Assuming that the unlocked model would.get the updates first is an incorrect assumption when there's other things in play.

Also - I think you're assuming Samsung submitted the update for the unlocked model at the same time (or before) Samsung submitted the carrier versions for carrier testing. Do you know that for sure? Or are you not assuming that? Which means, it's still entirely possible that Samsung worked on updates for the carrier models before the unlocked model.

I'm telling you what Samsung told me. Yes, they submitted the updates at the same time and got signoff from Verizon and Sprint quickly. They've been waiting on AT&T and Tmobile.

I'm done with this thread. I got my own answer. You added nothing to the discussion other than being rude. So, thanks for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol