Hate the New update 7.0 on the S7 Edge

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I applied a dark theme right away as well, and it helps a lot. The notifications shade remains blinding though. Maybe I need to find a theme specifically designed for (or at least updated for) Nougat.

TheCrushgroove

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Let me know if you find one.

+1

I created an account just to voice my displeasure with the new update. As a 40-something male with fading eyesight, I now have trouble reading the tiny, bland, stark, black&white notification pull down tray... and I've yet to read a safe way to alter that setting. What a wonderful option on a $700 phone, right?

I bought these phones (S7 and an S7 Edge for the Mrs.) for very specific reasons, and now some of those reasons have not only changed, but changed in a manner in which I can't even access or alter their settings. All in the name of someone else's definition of progress and change, and for the sole sake of progress and change. I don't react well to other people trying to think for me or whom insist upon how I should be thinking. I have the US Gov't and a wife for that, thanks. I don't react well to bait and switch business models or ever-evolving products that evolve themselves right out of usefulness tot he end user. In fact, it is in these very ways that OP is correct in his comparison to Apple.

I think we're done here, Samsung. I finally gave in, and you blew it.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the default email app is all white... Gotta find a theme that fixes that or get a different app.

Last edited:

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
+1

I created an account just to voice my displeasure with the new update. As a 40-something male with fading eyesight, I now have trouble reading the tiny, bland, stark, black&white notification pull down tray... and I've yet to read a safe way to alter that setting. What a wonderful option on a $700 phone, right?

I bought these phones (S7 and an S7 Edge for the Mrs.) for very specific reasons, and now some of those reasons have not only changed, but changed in a manner in which I can't even access or alter their settings. All in the name of someone else's definition of progress and change, and for the sole sake of progress and change. I don't react well to other people trying to think for me or whom insist upon how I should be thinking. I have the US Gov't and a wife for that, thanks. I don't react well to bait and switch business models or ever-evolving products that evolve themselves right out of usefulness tot he end user. In fact, it is in these very ways that OP is correct in his comparison to Apple.

I think we're done here, Samsung. I finally gave in, and you blew it.

If you try 2 fingers down instead of 1 for the notifications, it's actually bigger than before. I find it hard to long press the new icons, but overall I like the more stock look of N.

People have been complaining for years about the "Samsung" look, so I guess you can't please everyone all the time.

Abby Normal

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
So my phone is working good...... that is a plus.... but the tiny notifications NOT a plus..... the change in the pull down,,, NOTa Plus......
Someone please write an app that takes all white away that was just installed.......Not a plus....

OVERALL I shouldn't complain..... my phone works well so far.. yes I have to find and learn some new ways to do what I was used to doing...... and there are some new things I have to learn......

But I guess there are minor burrs and it could be worse.......

I would like to see Samsung or google give us the ability to say no to any upgrade if we want to.......

Until then I will try to ignore the other stuff and move on.......

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Whenever new updates become available it's a no win situation. We complain when there's no change and we complain when there are changes. I've just learned to expect that there may be changes that Ill have to get used to with each new OS update.

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
got to be honest,,, I am slowly getting my phone back to looking like it did before Nougat......I know I won't get it all back but I can easily live it now.....

Sunny deeee

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Really horrible interface. I have to actually press an embedded arrow to read long texts, which takes me to a different screen. Then you read the long text and have to navigate back to messages to finish reading the next text from the SAME person. Everyone would rather just scroll and not have to look for hidden content! The reverse camera button is now in upper left corner and cannot be reached with a simple click of the thumb. I have to actually change the device to my left hand, so I can reach up to the top left, just to reverse camera. This is how we live life now, Samsung. Don't kill business by making it harder to navigate the camera. It also doesn't take the same quality of pics. Who are you hiring for these upgrades? Surely you can afford the best, but it's like the designers are way out of touch. And the generic same size font on everything clouds my mind. The other display was easy and simple BC it suggested an order with color and size, now it's cluttered BC nothing stands out. This is so bad I will either find a way to revert to previous software or I will change phones. Cannot be productive like I need to be and I've intentionally tried to give it time to grow on me.

Lizz Nieves

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the samsung 7 and I updated the phone with the new updates and I TOTALLY HATE THE LOOK AND THE FEEL. It takes to many steps now to do one thing. I hate having to text. it is tedious. how do we get it back to the way it was. someone help me I hate my phone. The text it to light I cannot see it. everything just looks horrible. HATE IT...I can't scroll across the top any longer I know have to hit that menu expander button. Who do they talk to about these upgrades. Horrible job. hate it...hate it hate it. hate it...did I tell you that I hate it...

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the samsung 7 and I updated the phone with the new updates and I TOTALLY HATE THE LOOK AND THE FEEL. It takes to many steps now to do one thing. I hate having to text. it is tedious. how do we get it back to the way it was. someone help me I hate my phone. The text it to light I cannot see it. everything just looks horrible. HATE IT...I can't scroll across the top any longer I know have to hit that menu expander button. Who do they talk to about these upgrades. Horrible job. hate it...hate it hate it. hate it...did I tell you that I hate it...

You do know you don't have to use the default texting app, right? There are others out there that replace it (Textra is my choice). I hear ya, though. I have not yet run the update, though my phone is bugging the *&^$ out of me to do so. If I wait long enough, maybe it'll just....go away?

LAHagan

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
HATE, is a strong word. . .& I HATE the new update on my S7 edge!
The flow & aesthetics of the design & format look like several steps BACKWARDS.
I can NOT stand the way the "phone" contacts, including favorites is laid out now, as well as changing to mostly white backgrounds with little to know contrasts.
The messaging apps contrasts are "plain Jane" & with few options to change the colors.
The designers of this new update know Nothing about how people age or with certain disabilities contrasts are more difficult to distinguish from. At first glance having a greater contrast in color & textures make using the phone easier for most people. NOW, with the new update, the mostly white & light contrasts make distinguishing between things on your screen more difficult. It has become less user friendly, & very BORING to use.
The new version makes using the phone more difficult & for many, including myself, wanting to switch phones to leave Samsung altogether.
I am already upset about the way they changed the Calender app several updates ago & still carry around my Note 3, just to use the old version of Calander. It use to allow you to highlight with color the complete block for each day & ad stickers. I can glance at my month & based on the color of the days know which days I work & which days I am off. ( I am a RN & work at a hospital). Now the calander is all white, with only option to color with highlighting words for events. & no way to add stickers to quickly see pay days, birthdays, holidays, appointments etc. & don't reply with check out other calender apps. . .I did. None of them let you color or shade the entire day or add tiny stickers to the bottom right corner of the day blocks.
& here we go again with this latest update.
The new update has made The lay out more list oriented & contrast options & layout options are little to none.
This latest update, in my opinion has made using my Samsung phone less pleasing, more difficult for certain tasks & BORING

Tayloravenue

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
My galaxy s7 edge update is horrible! Everything has changed! I want the old version back or I am getting rid of this phone!!!!!!!

Is it possible to roll back??????