Hate the New update 7.0 on the S7 Edge

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Ahh, the Nougat update!

Personally I HATE it and think it is a stinking, steaming pile of dog crap.

Having had my Samsung Galaxy S7 a while, I recently updated it to 'N' and have to say, what a freakin' disappointment!

I have no idea what it is with Google and why they make each update of Android IMHO more sparse than the one before.

Personally I prefer colour, gradients, demarcation between 'zones' and nice detailed icons. Not these bland single colour icons on a white background that have been pushed on the user over the last few updates.

Most of use have handsets costing in excess £500-800 with truly awesome screens with resolutions fit for a TV in hand-held devices and we are forced to look at huge white spaces, white interfaces/menus, with single colour icons! WTF?

Maybe its to preserve battery life? If so, that's very lame! Personally, I'd rather look at a thing of beauty for 6 hours than a heaving pile of turd for 24!

For instance the pull-down the top menu on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge' is white, with light blue basic icons.

Ooooh, lightbulb moment here! I've got an idea! For the next Android update, make the icons white on a white background and be done with it! We, the users can just use 'The Force' to find what we are looking for.

Is it just me or does anyone else hate predominately white/light interfaces, with light-coloured this and light-coloured that?

It literally hurts my eyes to look at a predominately white interface and when all the icons are the same colour instead on being individual, then I think that takes longer to find what your looking for.

It's like someone with OCD is in charge and wants everything to match! I'm all for continuity, but there's got to be some give when it's informational content on screen.

Oh, and the 'LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?' found at the bottom of each sub-menu in settings? WTAF? Why can't they just put all the available options there for the user to peruse at will! I'm pretty sure I'll manage to navigate the extra content!

Also, WTF is it recently with the overuse of actual words instead of icons?

Here's an idea, why not use easily identifiable icons in order to de-clutter the menus instead of 'Over Texting' the menus?

For instance, in the default email app, if you long-press a message, you are presented with the word 'DELETE' as an available option. Now forgive me if I'm wrong here, but what is the universal symbol for 'DELETE'? A fracking 'Waste Bin', that's what!? Everyone in every language is familiar with this, so why change it to the actual word 'DELETE'? Surely, it must be harder to program the OS to use the translated word for 'DELETE' considering the wide range of languages available in Android.

Oh, and 'NOTI. SETTINGS' on the pull-down menu? Ahhhh, this annoys the p!55 out of me! If words have to be used, at least use the full words as it just looks less lazy!

Another step back IMHO is the caller ID screen which is so poor, it's criminal!.

Sadly, there wasn't the preferred full screen HD image of the caller contact in previous versions of Android (although, I'm pretty sure it was a loooong time ago), but at least we had the half-screen contact's image on display during a call up until recently.

Now? A stoopid little lo-res circle with a blurry-crap background. Again and update that makes the interface look worse.

I spent ages preparing good quality 720x720 images for ALL of my contacts and now they look like 5hi7e!

I'm pretty sure there is an Apple insider at Google signing off these 'ASAP' (As S**T A Possible) updates in the hope more Android users will defect to Apple. Defection has never crossed my mind in 8 years, but the last two updates ('M' & 'N') are pushing me closer!

I just feel that the interface of last few incarnations of Android has become increasingly clinical to the point the interface is just not nice to look at any more or as easy to navigate (no colour, no demarcation and no detailed icons).

Maybe by Android 'P' we'll have retrograded to a black & white, icon-free, MS-DOS-like (just text) interface!

Seriously, it as if Google are retrograding Android in order to re-upgrade the interface in the future.

END OF RANT! :D
For the time it took to type this post, you could have reverted​ back to Marshmallow already.

I too refused to let Samsung decides​ how my phone should run, but I took action instead of whining. I use Odin to put Android 6.0.1 back to my S7, and immediately sideload a package disabler to block all future updates. No root required and warranty is not voided. Couldn't​ be happier with the results.

samsung7

Apr 8, 2017
Visit site
Everyday .... I have to deal with the "N" system update, and tap "later", ok, ok ,tap-tap-tap.

Tired of it!! I bought the phone, it's MINE. I don't want "N" untill it's a major "upgrade".

- Less battery life
- white screens
- small fonts on notifications
- extra steps to do simple tasks
- another setting shuffle

All these CONS for 2 stupid little tricks I DON'T CARE ABOUT!!! ARGGHH!

ENOUGH! How do I shut it off?!? I'm happy with Marshmellow.

HELP!!
-

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Everyday .... I have to deal with the "N" system update, and tap "later", ok, ok ,tap-tap-tap.

Tired of it!! I bought the phone, it's MINE. I don't want "N" untill it's a major "upgrade".

- Less battery life
- white screens
- small fonts on notifications
- extra steps to do simple tasks
- another setting shuffle

All these CONS for 2 stupid little tricks I DON'T CARE ABOUT!!! ARGGHH!

ENOUGH! How do I shut it off?!? I'm happy with Marshmellow.

HELP!!
-
Install Package Disabler Pro and choose these two items to disable the update and the notification....

Worked for me. On MM here, and was doing the same thing as you were for weeks. I don't want N, it has nothing of value to me.
6b30b8c6f17d26f7685fb5f7d44d4fb3.jpg

osufoot

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Re: Hate the New update 7.0

In what way is it "just like an iPhone"? One of the great advantages of Android is the ability to change it to make it work the way you want.

Don't like the home screen/launcher? Go find another, there are plenty of options in the Play Store.
Don't like the texting app? Same deal, the Play Store has TONS of options

Elaborate on what you don't like and the great folks here can try to guide you to fix it.

Keep in mind - on Samsung the design is not "Android", it's Samsung's idea of what Android should be. I have a Nexus 6P - while there were some tweaks to the interface there was no significant change to the way my phone looked or worked when I got the Nougat update.

I don't like changes with the phone. For example ... I am unable to delete all calls from an individual unless I do each call one at a time. Before I was able tap the caller, then a list of call received from that caller appeared. I was then able to select which call from that caller I wanted deleted from that call history.

How to get to call history log for an individual caller??

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hate the New update 7.0

How to get to call history log for an individual caller??

I can access that information by viewing their contact in the Contacts app. I'm on a Nexus 6P, your phone's manufacturer may have chosen to install a different contacts app that works in a different way.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yep headed if it's just like an iPhone one and I'll go buy an iPhone and forget Samsung all together. I want to go back to what it was before the upgrade

Samsung is not indicative of Android as a whole, look at other devices and see if something else will suit your needs. You have other choices and they won't involve having to re-buy apps on a different platform.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I dislike 7.0 as well! harder to see, different icons on pull down screen seem smaller & blue against white background hard to see. Fast charge completely broken, takes hours to charge from 70-100% (Yes, fast charge is turned on & I use Samsung brand charger & cable & worked great with previously version)

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
For the time it took to type this post, you could have reverted​ back to Marshmallow already.

I too refused to let Samsung decides​ how my phone should run, but I took action instead of whining. I use Odin to put Android 6.0.1 back to my S7, and immediately sideload a package disabler to block all future updates. No root required and warranty is not voided. Couldn't​ be happier with the results.

What is this package of which you speak? I've pretty much decided that I am sticking with 6.0.1 (instead of "adjusting" to an upgrade I don't want or need), but I sure would like to block the constant update alerts I get. Any way to keep these from showing up? Thanks.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What is this package of which you speak? I've pretty much decided that I am sticking with 6.0.1 (instead of "adjusting" to an upgrade I don't want or need), but I sure would like to block the constant update alerts I get. Any way to keep these from showing up? Thanks.
Post 83 above

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Cool, thanks. I've been with Samsung since my GS3 and love my S7 Edge, and this is the first time I have (after prowling the forums for weeks) decided that Nougat was a misstep on Google's part; granted, I've not used it, so I have no experience to base my decision on. That said, I can say I have never seen so much complaining and dislike for a major upgrade with Android. I hope O (whatever they end up calling it) will address the gripes that users have raised about Nougat, and that we can skip N altogether should the newer OS offer improvements and changes we want.

A coworker sent me a great article on the reality that developers are not the user. They, for the most part, lack the ability to see an interface the way we as users do, and to them, their design probably looks great. To many of us, not so much.

U3962521

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Me too

Having the new os update after getting multiple ******* alerts a day to upgrade I did and it's ****.

The search feature on SMS messages now when you search for a name say Rod will find any word with Rod in it. Not name aware. Found all the SMS with pRODucts as a word.
This new os is now resulting in many more mistakes being made. Not user friendly . ******* hate it. Constant freeze and runs very very slow

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
decided that Nougat was a misstep on Google's part

Many of the complaints are regarding SAMSUNG'S implementation of the OS. I saw no significant difference on my Nexus 6P when I installed the Nougat update. Samsung makes the final design decision on updates for it's devices and those decisions often involve significant changes from the way the OS is on Nexus or other more "pure" devices.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
If people hate the new update, and would rather whine than sell or trade the phone, why not learn how to root the phone. Once rooted, you can change the OS to MM, and do other things to the phone that could make it more enjoyable for you. Go to xda-developers website, and learn how.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
If people hate the new update, and would rather whine than sell or trade the phone, why not learn how to root the phone. Once rooted, you can change the OS to MM, and do other things to the phone that could make it more enjoyable for you. Go to xda-developers website, and learn how.

Some people have work email on their personal device and therefore it can't be rooted. I had that issue...I was able to download Good for Enterprise but it checked my device for root and if I had it it would NOT let me access email. Learned that the hard way.