Hate the New update 7.0 on the S7 Edge

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If people hate the new update, and would rather whine than sell or trade the phone, why not learn how to root the phone..

What you call "whining" we call Google screwing up a perfectly good OS (Marshmallow) in favor of change for change's sake; name one good, must have feature in Nougat (silence....). And if you are still under warranty (as many of us are), rooting voids it. Rooting is not rocket science, we know this, and you are NOT helping.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I created an account just to voice my displeasure with the new update....I think we're done here, Samsung. I finally gave in, and you blew it.

Don't blame the hardware manufacturer; they only made the device. Blame Google and your provider; they are the ones who created a new, useless OS and let the providers load it up with garbage no one wants or needs. I agree with you on how bad N is, but point your finger in the right direction. And personally, I would rather stay with Marshmallow the rest of my smartphone days than stumble into Apple's walled garden, lost forever to a mindless cult.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
'

Heh, which ought to tell us something about how well received N was. Nope, stayin' put. :cool:
Unfortunately that doesn't tell us anything. There are a number of videos on how to decapitate and then paint my Little pony toys to make them evil. But far less than 1% of people do that. Similar to the far less than 1% of people freaking out about a software update. Not saying there aren't people having legitimate difficulty, but the vast, vast, vast majority of people don't care at all or appreciate the upgrade.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't blame the hardware manufacturer; they only made the device. Blame Google and your provider; they are the ones who created a new, useless OS and let the providers load it up with garbage no one wants or needs. I agree with you on how bad N is, but point your finger in the right direction. And personally, I would rather stay with Marshmallow the rest of my smartphone days than stumble into Apple's walled garden, lost forever to a mindless cult.

This is totally backwards. Google makes the base OS, but the OEM, in this case Samsung, is the one creating 90% of what Samsung users are interacting with. The AOSP builds that Google releases barely even have a UI and almost all of the complaints we've seen have been UI/UX.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
name one good, must have feature in Nougat (silence....)

Seamless updates - oh wait, Samsung didn't implement this; only Google did. Improved Doze. Improved notification handling. Overhaul of many security features, including granting and revoking single permissions from apps as the user's choice, etc, etc. There are pages and pages of improvements, most of which are just quality of life improvements, but the ones above are some of the most important ones to me.

Many of the complaints are regarding SAMSUNG'S implementation of the OS. I saw no significant difference on my Nexus 6P when I installed the Nougat update. Samsung makes the final design decision on updates for it's devices and those decisions often involve significant changes from the way the OS is on Nexus or other more "pure" devices.

This is still true ^^

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
@grunt0300 no need to root to re-flash an old firmware version. Just need to follow the directions here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

It should be noted that neither rooting nor that guide is for a novice. If one step is done wrong it could render the device unusable and a backup of all data that is cared about should be done before either process.

On behalf of Rukbat, thanks for linking to the Odin guide. To add to your post, users considering this move, be advised; Samsung sometimes updates, and adds a change to the bootloader to prevent rolling back to previous updates.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
To add to what Aquila said, Vanilla Android that is found on Pixel/Nexus Devices is skinned a little bit. In this case, Samsung adds a lot of changes to the base code.

I'll say they do. My Nexus 7 was the "purest" Android device I've yet owned, with only Gapps placed front and center. Boy, do I miss that tablet. Though, I must say that both Verizon and Samsung at least had the good taste to put all their crap in their own groups in the App Drawer on my Edge. I've NEVER opened either, and likely never will.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On behalf of Rukbat, thanks for linking to the Odin guide. To add to your post, users considering this move, be advised; Samsung sometimes updates, and adds a change to the bootloader to prevent rolling back to previous updates.

Yeah that's so weird to me. I can't figure out why they would want people to not be able to choose which OS they want unless there are critical security fixes.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's so weird to me. I can't figure out why they would want people to not be able to choose which OS they want unless there are critical security fixes.

A common supposition is to prevent rolling back to a version of Samsung's Android that was easier to root.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a bit ironic that my S7 Edge (Verizon) nags the hell out of me to upgrade to Nougat (and, of course, will not go away after many, many refusals), but my 7" Tab A cannot even get to Marshmallow. Perhaps if I hold out long enough, I can skip Nougat and upgrade to whatever "O" is going to be called. Reminds me of Microsoft and Office; they just can't leave well enough alone. Office 2010 was just fine, but no, they had to go and screw it up with 2013 and now 2016. Sigh...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a bit ironic that my S7 Edge (Verizon) nags the hell out of me to upgrade to Nougat (and, of course, will not go away after many, many refusals), but my 7" Tab A cannot even get to Marshmallow. Perhaps if I hold out long enough, I can skip Nougat and upgrade to whatever "O" is going to be called. Reminds me of Microsoft and Office; they just can't leave well enough alone. Office 2010 was just fine, but no, they had to go and screw it up with 2013 and now 2016. Sigh...
The 7inch Tab A is a budget device. By history alone, Samsung rarely updates the lowest end of their devices.