Is this possible? (show notifs on lock screen but not light up screen)

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge/T-Mobile version on 7.0. Rather than tell you how my options are set up now, I'll just tell yo what I want. Is this possible?

I want my phone to not light up or anything when I get an incoming call/text etc... But when wake up the screen I want it to show what phone calls I missed. Messing with the options I can only get it so it lights up my screen or does nothing and doesn't even show missed calls, but will show I have a voicemail. If someone called and didn't leave a VM I'd never know they called unless I went into the missed calls list.

I apologize in advance because I think I have confused myself. haha I have an iPhone that I leave on DND and it never lights up my screen but shows all missed calls, vm, messages etc on lockscreen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure you can do that for calls (maybe Do Not Disturb mode will work?), but for texts, you need to use an app that supports this. The Stock messaging app will always light up the screen when a text is received (and for this very reason, it is usually one of the first apps I replace on my phone). You can use 3rd party options that don't light it up like Hangouts, or apps that allow you to select which behavior you prefer, like Textra.

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Setting up and enabling Do Not Disturb will prevent your screen from lighting up, but notifications will still show up on your lock screen.
There are a bypass options and filters, if so desired.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Setting up and enabling Do Not Disturb will prevent your screen from lighting up, but notifications will still show up on your lock screen.
There are a bypass options and filters, if so desired.

I tried various options and the missed call isn't showing up when I don't let it light up my screen.

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Have you checked the phone (the app itself) to make sure the Notification permissions are correct?
One of the permissions is actually called "hide on Lock Screen".

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked the phone (the app itself) to make sure the Notification permissions are correct?
One of the permissions is actually called "hide on Lock Screen".

I just went into my phone app then settings and don't see a "hide on lock screen". I don't even see permissions. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It's a good possibility that what you're looking for isn't possible with a non rooted device.

I just figured it out based on your previous post. There's no "phone" app in the list of apps in settings. But when I went to the settings app it has notification options. I had show silently unchecked. So on DND it was still lighting up my screen. I checked it and now when on DND it shows my missed calls. So confusing! But thanks.

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Woops. My bad. Forgot you had to select show system apps.
If the notifications are showing on your lock screen now, cool! Glad we got that working.
Does the screen light up when someone calls with dnd active?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Woops. My bad. Forgot you had to select show system apps.
If the notifications are showing on your lock screen now, cool! Glad we got that working.
Does the screen light up when someone calls with dnd active?

Ok I spoke too soon. It does NOT light up when the call is coming in now, however now it lights up after the person hangs up and shows I have a missed call. Haha. Can't win!

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Maybe try enabling Keep Screen Turned Off found in the Display and Wallpaper menu, then cover the light sensor.
That may keep the screen off?

Hey I Tried

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I was playing around in my Application Manager, and found something that might work.
Settings / Applications / Application Manager. Upper right, select More and go to Modify System Settings.
Screenshot_20170301-220625.png

In there, select More and Show System Apps.

Screenshot_20170301-220746.png
You can turn the phone permissions off, which will deny it from changing system settings.
Maybe it will prevent the phone app from waking the screen?
Or maybe it won't receive phone calls at all until re-enabled.

Just thought I'd share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay