05-19-2017 02:20 AM
202 ... 56789
tools
    I got updated over night. I HATE IT! With a passion. No longer can you just long press the button and get the cards you're interested in. No longer can you type a query. No, now you need to TALK to your stupid phone. I could easily use Google Now anywhere. But can you imagine talking to your phone in the middle of a meeting? Or during a wedding? Or in any of the thousands of other places where talking out loud is annoying, embarrassing, or downright rude? Where you might want to be discrete?

And there's no option for going back to Google Now. Thanks for forcing this unwanted bloatware on me, Google. Thanks for nothing, that is.

Do Google's employees really sit around work all day talking to their phones? Maybe they should go out into the real world and see how real people work.

(Sprint S7E, Nougat)
    Couldn't agree with you more. Miss the cards.
    03-10-2017 11:17 PM
    try to go to settings in Google Assistant and retrain the OK Google command with your voice. Also in the google assistant setting is to turn on the OK GOOGLE command.
    03-11-2017 12:05 AM
    try to go to settings in Google Assistant and retrain the OK Google command with your voice. Also in the google assistant setting is to turn on the OK GOOGLE command.
    Tried both of those still no luck
    03-11-2017 01:15 AM
    I was having trouble as well when I was using the touch wiz launcher. I switched back to Nova and it works perfectly now ( make sure you enable it in the settings of you are gonna use Nova)
    03-11-2017 03:50 AM
    Still no update for me. Had updates for Google play movies over the past few days.
    03-11-2017 09:06 AM
    I got updated over night. I HATE IT! With a passion. No longer can you just long press the button and get the cards you're interested in. No longer can you type a query. No, now you need to TALK to your stupid phone. I could easily use Google Now anywhere. But can you imagine talking to your phone in the middle of a meeting? Or during a wedding? Or in any of the thousands of other places where talking out loud is annoying, embarrassing, or downright rude? Where you might want to be discrete?

And there's no option for going back to Google Now. Thanks for forcing this unwanted bloatware on me, Google. Thanks for nothing, that is.

Do Google's employees really sit around work all day talking to their phones? Maybe they should go out into the real world and see how real people work.

(Sprint S7E, Nougat)
    Just go in your app tray and open the Google app and it's still there. The only difference I see is you can't open it by long pressing the home button because that opens Google assistant.
    sweetypie31 likes this.
    03-11-2017 01:37 PM
    I just got it in Germany with a trick(?). I changed my system language to English(US) and opted in for the Google Beta app. After installing it I pressed the Home-button for two seconds and I automatically got it.

Edit: I also changed my keyboard language and my Google language to English(US) afterwards I changed everything back to German and it still works.

Edit2: It automatically gets disabled after some time.
    03-11-2017 03:57 PM
    In Nova, you can still assign a gesture to Google Now to avoid Google Assistant.
    03-11-2017 05:12 PM
    Huh. I was poking around in the Google app, and "enable Assistant" was an option in settings. Instantly changed me over from Now to Assistant.
    03-11-2017 05:18 PM
    huh. I was poking around in the google app, and "enable assistant" was an option in settings. Instantly changed me over from now to assistant.
    got it. Yea.
    03-11-2017 06:50 PM
    Just discovered I had it and set it up. On AT&T. Not much different than ok google before just more options.
    03-11-2017 07:35 PM
    With Google Assistant i can now control my smart thermostat though.
    03-12-2017 12:49 AM
    With Google Assistant i can now control my smart thermostat though.
    Right. These are things Google Now cannot do.
    03-12-2017 08:36 AM
    Thanks, I really do appreciate your reply but none of these are really the answer.

Changing language is, at best, a temporary solution, because Google will roll this c**p out to all English languages soon enough. Google Now started out as US English only, too.

The Google Widget works, but only works from the home screen, unlike long pressing the home button which worked from anywhere. It's also a really ugly widget.

The fact remains that Google forced a piece of bloatware that I didn't ask for, don't want, and that is far less useful for me.
    Another solution that might work in the long term is to try an app like Swipeup Utility. I haven't used this extensively but it lets you change the Device Assistance app (the app that is launched when you press and hold the home button. You can change this to the Google App and you will get the functionality you had before.

Note: if you decide to uninstall Swipeup Utility, before you do so, reset the Device Assistance app to Google Assistant, because otherwise it will be set to None when you uninstall.

Personally I like having both Assistant and Now. Assistant is a tad bit better for voice questions, but most of the time I would rather type in the question (e.g., in a business meeting / conference call). For that, I have added a Google app button on my Tasks Edge panel, so I get best of both worlds.
    03-12-2017 10:11 AM
    OK GUYS I JUST DOWNLOADED GOOGLE ASSISTANT!!!!!!!!!!

That's right... I DOWNLOADED it!!

Well not the assisyant itself but I went to apkmirror and downloaded the very latest version of the Google app!!! Since the announcement I've been constantly checking the version of the Google app that I have and it was (6.14.16.21.arm64) I think that number (64) means that its a BETA and does not contain the assistant. But I went to apkmirror and downloaded (6.14.16.21.arm) without that number 64 at the end and presto! The Google assistant is part of the initial setup! So if you want the assistant and can't wait here's your golden nugget!! Cheers!
    03-12-2017 10:48 AM
    Idk what it is or how to tell the difference
    03-12-2017 10:50 AM
    OK GUYS I JUST DOWNLOADED GOOGLE ASSISTANT!!!!!!!!!!

That's right... I DOWNLOADED it!!

Well not the assisyant itself but I went to apkmirror and downloaded the very latest version of the Google app!!! Since the announcement I've been constantly checking the version of the Google app that I have and it was (6.14.16.21.arm64) I think that number (64) means that its a BETA and does not contain the assistant. But I went to apkmirror and downloaded (6.14.16.21.arm) without that number 64 at the end and presto! The Google assistant is part of the initial setup! So if you want the assistant and can't wait here's your golden nugget!! Cheers!
    the 64 refers to the 64 bit processing, not beta.

i was one of the first to post that i received it and my Google app version is of the arm64 variety.
    03-12-2017 05:03 PM
    Huh. I was poking around in the Google app, and "enable Assistant" was an option in settings. Instantly changed me over from Now to Assistant.
    Thank you so much for mentioning this! I still hadn't gotten Google Assistant (I thought) until I did as you suggested. Voila! Google Assistant.
    03-13-2017 04:57 PM
    Still no assistant for me yet
    03-14-2017 12:17 AM
    Got it on three S7 Edge phones and a Note 5. Just had to go to the Google Now app and enable assistant in settings
    Deke218 likes this.
    03-14-2017 07:45 AM
    Has anyone in the UK got it yet?
    03-14-2017 12:04 PM
    I'm in the UK. No assistant yet. Enabled it by changing the language to English US but as soon as you go back to UK English it disappeared again. I wasn't too struck though to be fair.
    03-14-2017 12:45 PM
    I'm in the UK. No assistant yet. Enabled it by changing the language to English US but as soon as you go back to UK English it disappeared again. I wasn't too struck though to be fair.
    Thanks for the reply. I imagine it won't be that good anyway so I'll just wait. I'm just annoyed I don't have it yet. Can't see what the hold up would be.
    03-14-2017 02:11 PM
    Got it on three S7 Edge phones and a Note 5. Just had to go to the Google Now app and enable assistant in settings
    I didn't realize it had to be activated via Google Now. I have it up and running now.
    pankaj981 likes this.
    03-14-2017 02:23 PM
    Here is a fairly decent guide that helps explain Google Assistant and Google now in their current state.

http://searchengineland.com/google-a...t-guide-270312
    03-15-2017 03:02 PM
202 ... 56789