Has Your S7E Received Google Assistant?

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep. The most popular example is asking it the weather.

"What is the weather like today?"

Google answers.

"What about tomorrow?"

Google answers.

It understands when the flow as in when you say "What about tomorrow" it understands the context versus you having to say "What is the weather going to be like tomorrow?" after asking it the weather today. Small stuff like that.

Yes, that is neat feature, but Google search has done that for years. It's not new to Google Assistant.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I guess I have to play around with it bit more. I'm not seeing the benefit. It seems to me Google Now understands the flow of conversations just as well as Google Assistant.

I tried these questions in both Now and Assistant:
- Where was Abraham Lincoln born?
- What about wife?
- When did he die?
- Where?

I got exactly the same responses from both. Plus Now gives the option of typing (as opposed to speaking) in the question, and Google Now has cards. That said, the Assistant UI is a little more user friendly. The two seem more complementary, rather than Assistant being a replacement. If I had to choose one, I'd definitely choose Now.
As far as conversation flow, they are not the same. In Google Now if you ask "Where was Abraham Lincoln born?" You cannot follow up with "What about wife?" It does not know what you are talking about. Instead you have to come back with the follow up question "Where was Abraham Lincoln's wife born?" Google Now cannot keep track of and retain the conversation.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As far as conversation flow, they are not the same. In Google Now if you ask "Where was Abraham Lincoln born?" You cannot follow up with "What about wife?" It does not know what you are talking about. Instead you have to come back with the follow up question "Where was Abraham Lincoln's wife born?" Google Now cannot keep track of and retain the conversation.

You are not correct. Check out this Youtube video from 3 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ixuX4KwVE

Google now has had this capability for some time now. I think since Android 4.4 or maybe before.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I can kind of understand the complaints about the assistant vs now. I think assistant is cool, but I prefer now because I don't always want to talk to my screen. I'd rather type it in when I'm in a situation where I can't be verbal. Having said that though, we still have access to Google now and the cards by moving the Google icon ftom the app drawer to the home screen. Easy fix. I'll just go back and forward between both for now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Nothing wrong with choices. I still use both. GA is more convenient for me on the go. Google now when I'm at home. I feel like people just want to complain.

bchain996

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else unable to use their mic or okay Google? I have tried uninstalling updates and reinstalling, s voice is disabled and default assistance app is set for Google, microphones permissions enabled

hypnospastic

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I got updated over night. I HATE IT! With a passion. No longer can you just long press the button and get the cards you're interested in. No longer can you type a query. No, now you need to TALK to your stupid phone. I could easily use Google Now anywhere. But can you imagine talking to your phone in the middle of a meeting? Or during a wedding? Or in any of the thousands of other places where talking out loud is annoying, embarrassing, or downright rude? Where you might want to be discrete?

And there's no option for going back to Google Now. Thanks for forcing this unwanted bloatware on me, Google. Thanks for nothing, that is.

Do Google's employees really sit around work all day talking to their phones? Maybe they should go out into the real world and see how real people work.

(Sprint S7E, Nougat)

Couldn't agree with you more. Miss the cards.

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
try to go to settings in Google Assistant and retrain the OK Google command with your voice. Also in the google assistant setting is to turn on the OK GOOGLE command.

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I was having trouble as well when I was using the touch wiz launcher. I switched back to Nova and it works perfectly now ( make sure you enable it in the settings of you are gonna use Nova)

Freakster1

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
I got updated over night. I HATE IT! With a passion. No longer can you just long press the button and get the cards you're interested in. No longer can you type a query. No, now you need to TALK to your stupid phone. I could easily use Google Now anywhere. But can you imagine talking to your phone in the middle of a meeting? Or during a wedding? Or in any of the thousands of other places where talking out loud is annoying, embarrassing, or downright rude? Where you might want to be discrete?

And there's no option for going back to Google Now. Thanks for forcing this unwanted bloatware on me, Google. Thanks for nothing, that is.

Do Google's employees really sit around work all day talking to their phones? Maybe they should go out into the real world and see how real people work.

(Sprint S7E, Nougat)

Just go in your app tray and open the Google app and it's still there. The only difference I see is you can't open it by long pressing the home button because that opens Google assistant.

sLithery

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I just got it in Germany with a trick(?). I changed my system language to English(US) and opted in for the Google Beta app. After installing it I pressed the Home-button for two seconds and I automatically got it.

Edit: I also changed my keyboard language and my Google language to English(US) afterwards I changed everything back to German and it still works.

Edit2: It automatically gets disabled after some time.

Last edited:

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Huh. I was poking around in the Google app, and "enable Assistant" was an option in settings. Instantly changed me over from Now to Assistant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs