Has Your S7E Received Google Assistant?

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I really do appreciate your reply but none of these are really the answer.

Changing language is, at best, a temporary solution, because Google will roll this c**p out to all English languages soon enough. Google Now started out as US English only, too.

The Google Widget works, but only works from the home screen, unlike long pressing the home button which worked from anywhere. It's also a really ugly widget.

The fact remains that Google forced a piece of bloatware that I didn't ask for, don't want, and that is far less useful for me.

Another solution that might work in the long term is to try an app like Swipeup Utility. I haven't used this extensively but it lets you change the Device Assistance app (the app that is launched when you press and hold the home button. You can change this to the Google App and you will get the functionality you had before.

Note: if you decide to uninstall Swipeup Utility, before you do so, reset the Device Assistance app to Google Assistant, because otherwise it will be set to None when you uninstall.

Personally I like having both Assistant and Now. Assistant is a tad bit better for voice questions, but most of the time I would rather type in the question (e.g., in a business meeting / conference call). For that, I have added a Google app button on my Tasks Edge panel, so I get best of both worlds.

Lowgybear3

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
OK GUYS I JUST DOWNLOADED GOOGLE ASSISTANT!!!!!!!!!!

That's right... I DOWNLOADED it!!

Well not the assisyant itself but I went to apkmirror and downloaded the very latest version of the Google app!!! Since the announcement I've been constantly checking the version of the Google app that I have and it was (6.14.16.21.arm64) I think that number (64) means that its a BETA and does not contain the assistant. But I went to apkmirror and downloaded (6.14.16.21.arm) without that number 64 at the end and presto! The Google assistant is part of the initial setup! So if you want the assistant and can't wait here's your golden nugget!! Cheers!

osubass1

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
OK GUYS I JUST DOWNLOADED GOOGLE ASSISTANT!!!!!!!!!!

That's right... I DOWNLOADED it!!

Well not the assisyant itself but I went to apkmirror and downloaded the very latest version of the Google app!!! Since the announcement I've been constantly checking the version of the Google app that I have and it was (6.14.16.21.arm64) I think that number (64) means that its a BETA and does not contain the assistant. But I went to apkmirror and downloaded (6.14.16.21.arm) without that number 64 at the end and presto! The Google assistant is part of the initial setup! So if you want the assistant and can't wait here's your golden nugget!! Cheers!

the 64 refers to the 64 bit processing, not beta.

i was one of the first to post that i received it and my Google app version is of the arm64 variety.

mededitor

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Huh. I was poking around in the Google app, and "enable Assistant" was an option in settings. Instantly changed me over from Now to Assistant.

Thank you so much for mentioning this! I still hadn't gotten Google Assistant (I thought) until I did as you suggested. Voila! Google Assistant.

Zobbyb

May 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the UK. No assistant yet. Enabled it by changing the language to English US but as soon as you go back to UK English it disappeared again. I wasn't too struck though to be fair.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK. No assistant yet. Enabled it by changing the language to English US but as soon as you go back to UK English it disappeared again. I wasn't too struck though to be fair.
Thanks for the reply. I imagine it won't be that good anyway so I'll just wait. I'm just annoyed I don't have it yet. Can't see what the hold up would be.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Got it on three S7 Edge phones and a Note 5. Just had to go to the Google Now app and enable assistant in settings
I didn't realize it had to be activated via Google Now. I have it up and running now.
673bde26544e920b7c14d37f5c7d808e.gif

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Got it on Vodafone UK last week
Still don't have it yet on EE. How did it arrive? I noticed a few Google play updates appear to be downloading on my phone over the last week. It did it on its own in the background while I was using the phone. Still nothing though

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Not on my sim free UK version yet either.

Some have received it simply by holding down the home button to invoke the Google App and it's automatically updated that way.