Has Your S7E Received Google Assistant?

droidtgray

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, now how do I get it to go away?

Now the home button long-press brings up a prompt for voice entry, and there's no setting I can find to bring up text entry or the Google Now feed. I can start the Google App from the launcher, which opens the familiar Google Now feed, and allows text entry.

This update has rendered search almost useless to me. When I want to use voice, I say, "OK, Google." When i want to manually enter a search, I manually press the home button. Except now the shortcut for text search is gone. **** you, Google.

Until they fix this you can go to language settings and change your default language to English us virgin islands. Google assistant does not support this language yet so the home button will now default back to google now with text entry options. There is also home2shortcut in the play store I have used in the past that lets you reprogram some buttons to launch the app you want.

KindalRL

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
Still nothing for me, and I'm up to date on all software. I'm starting to feel like the kid who brought a bag lunch on pizza day.

djlee0314

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Finally got Assistant as well this morning. Wasn't notified of any new update but just long pressed home button. T-Mobile user in Seattle, WA

It just dawned on me that I did a manual restart (something I do weekly for maintenance) when I woke up this morning and also received the Assistant update. Not sure if it's just coincidence but if you're still waiting maybe give it a shot!

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
What is the main difference between Google now and Google assistant? I've had Google assistant for a few days now and yet to use it.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Finally got Assistant as well this morning. Wasn't notified of any new update but just long pressed home button. T-Mobile user in Seattle, WA

Well, I'm convinced. Not everyone is getting Google assistant. I've got 3 android devices and none have received it yet. I know that I should get it on all 3 at the same time because it will come down from my Google play store account, but what's the hold up?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What is the main difference between Google now and Google assistant? I've had Google assistant for a few days now and yet to use it.

Assistant is an evolution of Now/On Tap. First... the most obvious change is the interface when you launch the On Tap/Screen Search interface. Previously, it would give you a list of action icons.. stuff like finding a gas station or ATM, etc. Then it would search your screen and try to give you relevant information based on that. With Assistant, it alters the interface, moving to a voice based system rather than a touch based.

The second main difference is a little bit more subtle and has to do with the voice interaction. With Now, it was relatively basic.... it would transcribe your query into a direct Google search and give you results. There were some commands, but they were a bit rigid and you had to know them to use them.

With Assistant, Google enhanced things... rather that it transcribing your query into a Google search, it attempts to understand you in a more conversational tone. It is more able to interact with you when you use natural speech, and then also retains context. So when you ask "Are there any Thai restaurants near me?" After it gives you a list, you ask "When does it open?" and it will understand.

Assistant attempts to improve on what a lot of people complain about.... rather than dictating commands, people want to speak in a natural way without having to memorize particular syntax and commands.