Samsung S7 edge nougat update lost feature

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I updated to the nougat on my Samsung S7 edge. Samsung had the feature of one handed use for things like the dial pad and calculator where you could have the number pad on right side of screen or left.

I can't find that feature anymore, did Samsung take that away from us, or am I not finding the option. This feature was the main selling point for me on Samsung phones, if they took it away I may be looking at other phones harder. I can't believe they took that away.

de2b01c5b84d81d7701877751790c5f4.jpg

Last edited:

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I saw it in the settings menu somewhere after I upgraded to Nougat. I don't remember where, since I don't use it much.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There's a one handed option in the settings but that's just to reduce the screen size, don't see anything to change the dial pad or calculated keypad to one or the other side. I hope it's somewhere, but I can't find it.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I used the reduced keyboard size and the option to have the keyboard either on the Rh or Lh too.

At present I'm unable to find anything in settings.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have that to, all it offers now is reduce the screen. Before the update you had a setting to position the keyboard, dialpad, and calculator keypad to the right side or left side whichever you chose. Thinking they dropped it, shame it was one of the main reasons I went with Samsung.
Like this
8038be744aea75039c01fd28e53ac878.jpg

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that requires extra steps to get to that. The example I showed you was set up to be that way in normal screen mode just by selecting phone app. The new method requires another step, so went backwards.

Sucks, that's how Samsung has had me as a customer since note 3 days, without this feature opens up looking at other manufacturers. Think lg does it, can't remember

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is what the OP was talking about. I can drag from the top right of the phones dial pad screen to bring it down to the lower left or drag from the top left and drag it down to the lower right.

You can do this with other apps as well.

Screenshot_20170307-013653.jpgScreenshot_20170307-013956.jpg

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
From what I saw in the screenshot you posted of the dial pad that you googled, I have not seen any settings that allow you to set it up that way. You have two options, the one-handed mode and what NexusGirlX just showed you.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
From what I saw in the screenshot you posted of the dial pad that you googled, I have not seen any settings that allow you to set it up that way. You have two options, the one-handed mode and what NexusGirlX just showed you.
Yes that appears to be the new way in nougat. Before nougat you could set it up for the dial pad, calculator keypad, and the keyboard to do what I posted automatically when you opened them. You didn't have to reduce the screen size first, then open the dial pad or whatever.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes that appears to be the new way in nougat. Before nougat you could set it up for the dial pad, calculator keypad, and the keyboard to do what I posted automatically when you opened them. You didn't have to reduce the screen size first, then open the dial pad or whatever.

The nice thing about resizing the phone app or the calculator app, is that you can hit the up/down arrow icon on the top left and it will just become an icon on your screen for as long as you leave it there. To open it when you need it, just tap on the icon and it will go to that small sized app again. Done with the app and reduce it to an icon again.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This is what we lost. I took a screenshot from my daughters S7 edge that hasn't updated yet.

Is there a way to contact Samsung about losing this feature and ask for it back?

9e7d209da8ac60ea522f524c94deade3.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The nice thing about resizing the phone app or the calculator app, is that you can hit the up/down arrow icon on the top left and it will just become an icon on your screen for as long as you leave it there. To open it when you need it, just tap on the icon and it will go to that small sized app again. Done with the app and reduce it to an icon again.
You're talking about popup windows. That's still in Nougat. That's not what the OP was talking about.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You're talking about popup windows. That's still in Nougat. That's not what the OP was talking about.
Thank you. I couldn't remember what exactly they called the feature I was talking about, then remembered my daughter has the S7 edge and hasn't updated yet.. I updated first post with my picture.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, what I posted above pretty much does the same thing. In the two screenshots below, you see the phone app reduced in size like you see in your example. The second screenshot shows what it looks like when you minimize it. It sits on your home screen at the top or wherever you decide to move it, looking like an app icon. Tap it and it opens again just as it does in the first screenshot. It can stay there as an icon as long as you want, forever even. This is probably why they got rid of doing this in the manner you are looking for.

Screenshot_20170307-061411.jpgScreenshot_20170307-061421.jpg