Anyone have problems with wifi following Nougat upgrade?

JeffACastro

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
After completing the upgrade this evening, I find I am unable to connect to the wifi I used to download the upgrade. Wifi is on and i can see my home network. When I try to connect, I end up getting a failed to connect message.

I tried resetting my network settings and then tried to enter in credentials for my network. Same issue. Wifi turns off on its own and about 10 seconds later turns back on. I finally resorted to resetting my settings to factory settings and the result is the same.

I have read this evening that some people had this issue way back when Nougat came out for Google devices, but have not been able to find a solution that works for my phone. Welcoming any suggestions folks might have to resolve this problem. Thanks.

JeffACastro

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
The phone. Router was not a problem. I had downloaded the update using the same wifi that I could not connect after the update. All other devices on our home wifi worked with no issues. I did the following before finally resorting to a factory reset:
  1. Reset Network Settings
  2. Reset Settings
  3. Wiped cache partition
Talked to both Verizon and finally Samsung support for the issue. Both ended up suggesting the same final step to resolve the problem.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
It's only been this week that my WiFi doesn't connect to a network when I turn on the Wifi and doesn't give me network options or anything.

When I restart the phone, it'll connect to my network(The router/modem) for a little while. and then it won't be connected.

I've cleared cache.

Do I have to do a Factory reset? And if I do a factory reset, will it update to nougat again?

Last edited:

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Have you already tried rebooting the router, by unplugging its power for 10 seconds?

I did. I turned off the router for a whole minute and then turned the router back on. No networks show up when it's scanning for networks. It should find our network.

It didn't seem to make a difference even though I rebooted the router. My dad asked me if I tried connecting to the network at work and I said no because I don't get the chance to look at my phone or anything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's strange. Try testing it out at your local coffeeshop or library, or anywhere with a free wi-fi hotspot.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, that's strange. Try testing it out at your local coffeeshop or library, or anywhere with a free wi-fi hotspot.

I'm going over to my mom's in a little bit and her network is saved to my phone, I believe. So I could try seeing if it'd connect to that.

But the weird thing is... there should at least 3-4 networks in the area that should pop up and there isn't. It'll be 'scanning' for networks but no networks pop up.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

Whenever I restart my phone it connects to the network for a while before it's no long connected to a network and the Wifi symbol isn't at the top of the bar anymore.

So I'll have to wait and see if it stays connected to the network.

I have it on safe mode and it was able to connect to the network and other network choices showed up too.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it stays connected, then some 3rd party app is presumably causing the conflict. Try uninstalling your apps one by one until the problem goes away. Tedious, I know, but unless you have an idea of which app is causing the problem, that may be the only way you can figure it out.:-\

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
If it stays connected, then some 3rd party app is presumably causing the conflict. Try uninstalling your apps one by one until the problem goes away. Tedious, I know, but unless you have an idea of which app is causing the problem, that may be the only way you can figure it out.:-\

Hey! It's better than doing a factory reset. I'll start with the 3 recent apps I've downloaded / and installed in past 4-5 days. I hope it's not the Facebook wrapper app Metal Pro.

Thanks!

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
@B. Diddy

It ended up being the IMDB or AMC Theaters app that was causing the problem with the WiFi. As soon as I removed those two app's , the Wifi showed up at the top of my screen like it should.

I appreciate the help! I'm glad I didn't have to end up doing a factory reset!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Excellent! Make sure to send feedback to the developers of those apps to let them know of this potential issue. That may help them patch the app properly for Nougat on S7's.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Excellent! Make sure to send feedback to the developers of those apps to let them know of this potential issue. That may help them patch the app properly for Nougat on S7's.

:) I did. I e-mailed both developers to let them know I had to uninstall their app because of a Wifi issue and because of the new OS Nougat for my phone. So they know there's a Wifi issue with their app and the new OS Nougat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084