Verizon S7 edge - Nougat Help, Tips & Tricks

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Re: Verizon Nougat Help, Tips & Tricks

I have not added it to my quick settings yet, but when you edit the panel it should be at the bottom.
View attachment 253924

Okay now I have it. I had to go into widgets and display the Galaxy Essentials widget on the screen. Then when I tapped on that it brought up the screen that you show. I have now added the Secure Folder button and I'm about to put some things in there.

Thanks a lot for your help on this. It is very strange that this would not show up and that I had to activate a widget in order to get going.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Galaxy does not show as an app. And a search for "Galaxy" or "Secure" produces no results.
Go into recovery and wipe the cache partition. Then go back and see if those apps appear. The Galaxy Apps store should definitely be on your phone. If that does not bring them back then you really should do a factory reset. Both of those apps are built into the OS.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Okay now I have it. I had to go into widgets and display the Galaxy Essentials widget on the screen. Then when I tapped on that it brought up the screen that you show. I have now added the Secure Folder button and I'm about to put some things in there.

Thanks a lot for your help on this. It is very strange that this would not show up and that I had to activate a widget in order to get going.
I am happy you were able to locate it☺

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Anyone know how to get color notification icon, I detest these white icons? The only app I use that has them is Textra. If one app can do it why can't they all?

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

I am happy you were able to locate it☺

So far I'm not impressed. I added two different apps into the Secure Folder. They ain't secure. If you do a search in apps they show up and if you tap on them you can see everything. If you tap them on the Home Screen however it takes you to the Secure Folder and you have enter your PIN or whatever. I haven't found any instructions on the Internet or in Settings to secure this.

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

So far I'm not impressed. I added two different apps into the Secure Folder. They ain't secure. If you do a search in apps they show up and if you tap on them you can see everything. If you tap them on the Home Screen however it takes you to the Secure Folder and you have enter your PIN or whatever. I haven't found any instructions on the Internet or in Settings to secure this.

Also with one of the apps, when you add to the Secure Folder and try to open it asks you to create a new account.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

I had to do a factory reset on mine yesterday, the battery drained to 80% in my hour drive to work.. Man do I hate adding everything back.
It does suck, but it is really nice when you are finished. You shouldn't have any of the issues that others are reporting either as long as all the apps you are using are updated and compatible with Nougat.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Anyone know how to get color notification icon, I detest these white icons? The only app I use that has them is Textra. If one app can do it why can't they all?
I am not sure why myself. You would think it would not be too difficult for Samsung to do.

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

That is how it is designed. You can have separate accounts in the folder from the rest of the phone. It is hard for me to explain. See if this helps.

How to Use Samsung Secure Folder on Galaxy S7

Ok, thanks for that. For most things I don't want two accounts. I probably won't use it for much.

But here's the first thing I tried. I put my Google Drive in there. I don't want people to have access to that. However since I can do a search in apps and tap on it when it displays and it shows the contents it has no value.

I was going to put the Last Pass, my password manager, in there too. But I'm going to wait till I see if I can get the Google Drive thing fixed.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Something I've noticed is GPS accuracy is not as good now, 5m vs 3m with MM. Had 22 satellites locked so it wasn't that, but wouldn't think OS would affect GPS accuracy. Something to look for and watch.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

Something I've noticed is GPS accuracy is not as good now, 5m vs 3m with MM. Had 22 satellites locked so it wasn't that, but wouldn't think OS would affect GPS accuracy. Something to look for and watch.
I had an accuracy problem on my S7E with MM... Downloaded and use GPS Status & Tools app and things work great.

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

Ok, thanks for that. For most things I don't want two accounts. I probably won't use it for much.

But here's the first thing I tried. I put my Google Drive in there. I don't want people to have access to that. However since I can do a search in apps and tap on it when it displays and it shows the contents it has no value.

I was going to put the Last Pass, my password manager, in there too. But I'm going to wait till I see if I can get the Google Drive thing fixed.

Now another revolting development. I started getting the dreaded "System UI has closed" error to the point it pretty much had my phone locked up. Clearing the System cache made it less frequent but it still popped up periodically. I tried several things the last of which was deleting the Secure Folder app in System Apps. Fingers crossed I think this may have fixed it. Doing this results in Secure Folder showing as installed but needing an update. This is how it was originally on my phone after I found it in Galaxy Apps. I am not going to do the update again however. And currently the Secure Folder has no future with me.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

Now another revolting development. I started getting the dreaded "System UI has closed" error to the point it pretty much had my phone locked up. Clearing the System cache made it less frequent but it still popped up periodically. I tried several things the last of which was deleting the Secure Folder app in System Apps. Fingers crossed I think this may have fixed it. Doing this results in Secure Folder showing as installed but needing an update. This is how it was originally on my phone after I found it in Galaxy Apps. I am not going to do the update again however. And currently the Secure Folder has no future with me.
I am sorry to hear that. You certainly put forth a valiant effort trying to figure it all out!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I am using Secure Folder on verizon with no issues. I did do factory reset though right after the upgrade to Nougat. I Always do after a major upgrade. Everything running smooth.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site

I am using Secure Folder on verizon with no issues. I did do factory reset though right after the upgrade to Nougat. I Always do after a major upgrade. Everything running smooth.
A factory reset is the way to go, especially after this major upgrade. Not all, but many people would not have all the problems and battery drain issues they are having if they would spend a little time doing a factory reset. In fact they are spending more time, trying to fix things, by not doing so. Just one's observation and opinion. I am glad you are having a good experience!

DrifterYank

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

A factory reset is the way to go, especially after this major upgrade. Not all, but many people would not have all the problems and battery drain issues they are having if they would spend a little time doing a factory reset. In fact they are spending more time, trying to fix things, by not doing so. Just one's observation and opinion. I am glad you are having a good experience!

I have no desire to spend hours reinstalling apps unless it is a last resort. At least I got my phone functioning to the point of getting screen shots of my apps folder if I do need to reset. So far all is good though.

Out of curiosity, does a reset take you back to Marshmallow, rather than Nougat, if that was originally the version on the phone?

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

Once you upgrade the firmware, a hard reset just reinstalls the new firmware as stock, so you would stay on Nougat, just without any lingering settings or remnants of the old software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow