Is Textra the best texting app?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish you could archive messages. I deal with so many different people I'd like to be able to swipe away things that arent currently pertinent. Thats why I like google's messaging app. I wish there was an option to illuminate the screen though. I also don't like how the pictures you take don't save to gallery

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it's the best. I love having different color notification icons for certain individuals that contact me and Textra is the only one that allows and works consistently.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It's having an issue with pics not showing up. Any suggestions?

If you are on Nougat, I believe that this is a known problem to which Textra sent out a message. I had to adjust a setting (Settings>MMS>Behavior=System) in order to receive a picture from an Iphone. It works fine for me know.

As to the OP's question, it's all personal preference. After the Nougat update I tried the stock apps again, but came back to Textra.

mysamsungs7e

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
If you are on Nougat, I believe that this is a known problem to which Textra sent out a message. I had to adjust a setting (Settings>MMS>Behavior=System) in order to receive a picture from an Iphone. It works fine for me know.

As to the OP's question, it's all personal preference. After the Nougat update I tried the stock apps again, but came back to Textra.

All fixed and I agree Textra is the best

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I switched over to Textra from Chomp SMS a few years back, and absolutely loved it. I even sprung for the inexpensive and worth-every-penny paid version. I loved the customization of the app and how quickly the app developers dealt with bugs and issues. Being able to customize colours, ringtones, and backgrounds... I was in my glory. I use stock messaging now, but whenever someone asks for a third-party messaging app recommendation, I immediately tell them about Textra. The name says it all.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I switched over to Textra from Chomp SMS a few years back, and absolutely loved it. I even sprung for the inexpensive and worth-every-penny paid version. I loved the customization of the app and how quickly the app developers dealt with bugs and issues. Being able to customize colours, ringtones, and backgrounds... I was in my glory. I use stock messaging now, but whenever someone asks for a third-party messaging app recommendation, I immediately tell them about Textra. The name says it all.

Why the change?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Why the change?

I only changed from Textra to stock because I had gotten a new device at the time (LG G3); and LG's stock messaging app had satisfied me then. I have an Honor 8 now and though I have EMUI Theme Editor so I can still customize some of the SMS app, I miss the Textra features. When I have some spare time to really tinker with the settings, I may jump back. I'd pay for the full version again, for sure!

Edit: LOOL I'm downloading it now.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Tried it once, seen an ad and uninstalled.

I nearly always used Google (Android) Messenger on my phones. Did what I needed without all the customisation options. Due to having a Gear I've switched back to stock as it's the only one that I can use on the watch. The SMS delivery report is still annoying as hell on it though.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Textra has always been my text app. Never had an issue with it and they fix bugs quicker than I recognize them. Super support. I went for the paid version and have always used it with no issues.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Tried it once, seen an ad and uninstalled.

I nearly always used Google (Android) Messenger on my phones. Did what I needed without all the customisation options. Due to having a Gear I've switched back to stock as it's the only one that I can use on the watch. The SMS delivery report is still annoying as hell on it though.

I have a Gear S2 and get Textra notifications on it without any issues at all. I've not ever had any for the 11 months I've had the watch, through various software updates to the watch, phone OS, and Textra.

With the upgrade to Nougat, I do now get the message delivered notifications on the S2. That's something I never had to deal with before.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Textra has always been my text app. Never had an issue with it and they fix bugs quicker than I recognize them. Super support. I went for the paid version and have always used it with no issues.

Agreed! I'm disappointed at how long it took me to get the paid version lool. So worth it.

Ksymsy

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I went to textra from my stock app. For a few weeks it worked quite well but after I went to textra pro I can't send mms anymore. Yes I've gone thru all the fixes that textra provided. I'm on Samsung s8. And I've checked settings on everything. Any ideas?

shaneontherocks

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been using GBOARD & ANDROID MESSAGING. I love them both. Note you can't actually send any gifs with gboard using the stock Samsung App. So that is why I use Android messaging as well. I think they make the perfect combo so now I can use/send gifs, change contact messaging colors, change keyboard colors and layout (beach pic for my keyboard) and you can even search google within the keyboard! it's a an amazing combo! Everyone should try this out! No Textra for me. The app looks cheap imo and not paying to remove ads.

Now once Samsung Stock mess. app supports gifs, and all these features then I will revert back but until then, these two apps are the best!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been using GBOARD & ANDROID MESSAGING. I love them both. Note you can't actually send any gifs with gboard using the stock Samsung App. So that is why I use Android messaging as well. I think they make the perfect combo so now I can use/send gifs, change contact messaging colors, change keyboard colors and layout (beach pic for my keyboard) and you can even search google within the keyboard! it's a an amazing combo! Everyone should try this out! No Textra for me. The app looks cheap imo and not paying to remove ads.

Now once Samsung Stock mess. app supports gifs, and all these features then I will revert back but until then, these two apps are the best!

I'm using the new Android Messaging app also. I tried Textra and after the trial ran out, I'm not sure that it's worth paying $3.99 for the app just to remove the ads. I deleted that app.

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I have paid Textra, sooooo customizable, I love it. I have no issues with it. I ran it on my S5 Active, because I hated the look of the stock app, and a friend recommended it. I just got the S7 Edge, and it was one of the first things I switched, didn't even give the Samsung app a chance, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol