what is the best email apps

StephaneM60

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
The Android version of Outlook is also good, but doesn't show you an "unread email" badge.
You can easily solve this by using "Notifyer" (free for standard badge, requires purchase to customize the badge). This app will add a badge to the outlook icon for each e-mail notification (the badge is updated when the notification is dismissed), so this is not exactly the same as an unread count badge but gets close.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
For those of you interested in Aqua Mail, the pro version is currently 50% off in the Play Store. It is currently $2.49 and normally costs $4.99. I am not sure how long the sale is running for.

Shrimply

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
Just to jump on this thread, are there any that play nicely with doze?

I'm using K9 (originally because it was the only one I could find that allowed use of sd card storage although this isn't a huge issue now). But it needs to be white listed under battery optimisation and there are no options to stop it syncing over night.

So ideally I'd want something that android can manage without stopping emails coming through, or that allows a time when it doesn't check for new mail.

Also, as of nougat, K9 doesn't allow for LED notification without sound or vibration. Are there any apps that have sorted a work around for this?

There is privacy issues with K9 where it can't seem to show different information on the lock screen and when the screen is unlocked. Ideally I'd like to see the email heading on the lock screen but not be able to expand to read the whole email but have full functionality in the notification area when the phone is unlocked. I'm not sure if this is an app limitation or one that is caused by Nougat though.

Two other things K9 can't do which would be useful.

1) Print emails
2) Create calendar entry from email

Maybe I want too much, but look forward to your responses

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time K9 user as well but I've run into "sync disabled" problems since the Nougat update. Therefore, I tried a number of other email apps until I settled on the stock Samsung email. It's decent.....

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It all comes down to personal preference. Everyone is going to have their own needs and wants. Try a couple and see which one works best for you.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Hrm, it appears that Aqua Mail does not support Exchange ActiveSync... Guess I will have to try something else.

Edit: Nine does ActiveSync and has a dark/night theme. I will try this for a while and see how it works.

BTW, I finally found the settings to sync for seven days vs three in the native app. Not intuitive at all.

Last edited:

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
You should all consider the best email apps out there, many exist now, but make sure you look at Terms for all of them. K9 is open source and a very good client. Our app which has been around since 2010, MailDroid is ad based and an ad-free version which you can pay for. Many others are not clear on what they do. For example, AquaMail was bought by Mobi and comments have shown tracking was added in. TypeMail and BlueMail and others have no open revenue model, but all your emails pass through their servers. Do they sell your data?

Some people don't care, but many should. If you look at the recent exposure of the free email spam unsubscriber (unroll.me), you will see what happened. While many people know that a free service needs to make money somehow, an open show of how they make that money is important. If you care about this, then you should be sure to look at what Terms exist for each mail client.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Google Inbox. But I see lots of votes for Aquamail so may give that a try. I would use stock Samsung if it let me swipe to archive (or even have an archive button) rather than delete.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You should all consider the best email apps out there, many exist now, but make sure you look at Terms for all of them. K9 is open source and a very good client. Our app which has been around since 2010, MailDroid is ad based and an ad-free version which you can pay for. Many others are not clear on what they do. For example, AquaMail was bought by Mobi and comments have shown tracking was added in. TypeMail and BlueMail and others have no open revenue model, but all your emails pass through their servers. Do they sell your data?

Some people don't care, but many should. If you look at the recent exposure of the free email spam unsubscriber (unroll.me), you will see what happened. While many people know that a free service needs to make money somehow, an open show of how they make that money is important. If you care about this, then you should be sure to look at what Terms exist for each mail client.

I was using AquaMail Pro since that Russian guy started it, but lately i started getting a lot of email spam. I didn't know that it was bought out by Mobi, so i guess that is the problem. Your app(MailDroid) is one of the better ones, but when i tried it, it always took forever to download my hotmail emails. For whatever reason, the stock email app on my new S7 Edge downloads my emails, both gmail & hotmal, at a faster rate than any email app in the Play Store. I'm sticking with the stock one.:p

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I was using AquaMail Pro since that Russian guy started it, but lately i started getting a lot of email spam. I didn't know that it was bought out by Mobi, so i guess that is the problem. Your app(MailDroid) is one of the better ones, but when i tried it, it always took forever to download my hotmail emails. For whatever reason, the stock email app on my new S7 Edge downloads my emails, both gmail & hotmal, at a faster rate than any email app in the Play Store. I'm sticking with the stock one.:p

Appreciate that and yes, the stock one is good (has got a lot better over the years). I just want people to look a bit and notice that a revenue model has to exist for almost all these companies. Find out what it is. Don't fall in the unroll.me boat. We have been approached over the years dozens of time to sell data from our users. We have always said no and while this has really hurt us financially, it is our belief that even anonomyzed email is a breach of trust.