Factory Reset\Restore questions

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I try to avoid doing reset\restore like the plague becasue it seems to take so much time and effort to get my phone back the way it was (i.e. apps reinstalled, home screens, folders etc) so I am looking for some tips to make this as painless as possible.

- does it matter if I do the reset through the phone's setting menu or via the recovery mode?
- for restore, ids there an order in which I should do things and what tools should I use?

I have a recent backup to my PC via Smart Switch. at one point in the restore process, if any, should I use Smart Switch?

Do the Google and Samsung Cloud backups restore the way smart switch would? At what point should I use these restore functions?

Thanks

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that rebuilding your phone after a factory data reset (FDR) is a PITA, it's also the best way to ensure that whatever ails your device (whatever it is that is making you do the FDR to start with) is truly eliminated. You'll get the most bang for your effort by NOT restoring anything. Set it up like a brand new device. If your trouble is caused by an app setting or a corrupted data file, then you're just putting your problem right back on the device.

As far as choosing the start location for the FDR, it really doesn't matter so long as you plan to use the device yourself. If you run the FDR from the recovery menu, you'll have to enter an account and password on the device when you set it up in order to unlock the phone. If you start from SETTINGS\BACKUP AND RESET, then the phone can be set up like it truly just came from the box.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that rebuilding your phone after a factory data reset (FDR) is a PITA, it's also the best way to ensure that whatever ails your device (whatever it is that is making you do the FDR to start with) is truly eliminated. You'll get the most bang for your effort by NOT restoring anything. Set it up like a brand new device. If your trouble is caused by an app setting or a corrupted data file, then you're just putting your problem right back on the device.

As far as choosing the start location for the FDR, it really doesn't matter so long as you plan to use the device yourself. If you run the FDR from the recovery menu, you'll have to enter an account and password on the device when you set it up in order to unlock the phone. If you start from SETTINGS\BACKUP AND RESET, then the phone can be set up like it truly just came from the box.
Solid information!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781