According to this article..We will lose almost 50 percent of our charge... hope not. Samsung Galaxy S8 vs the competition
    03-29-2017 12:12 PM
    Uh, that's normal for any battery.
    03-29-2017 12:16 PM
    I don't see anything in that article that says what you say.

But no, while all batteries lose some capacity over time, 50% loss over two years just isn't accurate. Maybe 20%, worst case.
    03-29-2017 04:29 PM
    If you're really hamfisted with the thing... Running it down until it turns off, leaving it on the charger all night, etc, you could probably turn a battery to junk in two years.... Earlier even.

Unless you are one of those crazy people who charge with the slowest charger in the house and only keep it between 40% and 80%, bank on losing 10% a year... Maybe 15%.
    03-29-2017 07:55 PM
    Anyone know how to find out the battery cycle counts on an S7 again?
    03-29-2017 09:09 PM
    Anyone know how to find out the battery cycle counts on an S7 again?
    Well... there's no real set number on that. It varies from battery to battery and highly dependant on how its being used. There are some apps that can give you an idea as to how much wear you are putting on your battery, but there's no real way of knowing where it'll start to lose an appreciable amount of charge.
    03-30-2017 10:21 AM
    If you're really hamfisted with the thing... Running it down until it turns off, leaving it on the charger all night, etc, you could probably turn a battery to junk in two years.... Earlier even.
    Leaving it on the charger all night won't hurt anything. The phone doesn't keep charging forever. Once it reaches 100% it stops charging, until it drops sufficiently, then it'll slowly top up again.
    03-30-2017 09:09 PM
    Leaving it on the charger all night won't hurt anything. The phone doesn't keep charging forever. Once it reaches 100% it stops charging, until it drops sufficiently, then it'll slowly top up again.
    This is one of those false beliefs that's still kicking around... Leaving a fully charged phone on a charger causes stress to the battery... stress that, if you make it a habit, will accelerate how quickly it degrades. LiPO batteries do not like to be held at a fully, saturated charge state, even if not being used. That is why you don't store them fully charged.
    thecomicbookandme likes this.
    03-31-2017 08:59 AM
    This is one of those false beliefs that's still kicking around... Leaving a fully charged phone on a charger causes stress to the battery... stress that, if you make it a habit, will accelerate how quickly it degrades. LiPO batteries do not like to be held at a fully, saturated charge state, even if not being used. That is why you don't store them fully charged.
    I don't believe it. I have been leaving my phone on charger (wired, and wireless) overnight for many years. I have suffered no real noticeable impact as a result. Whatever the "stress" , the damage has been so minimal that I can't even tell. Then, like most people, my phone is changed every couple of years or so (or sooner). I don't worry one bit about continuing the practice.
    03-31-2017 09:31 AM
    I don't believe it. I have been leaving my phone on charger (wired, and wireless) overnight for many years. I have suffered no real noticeable impact as a result. Whatever the "stress" , the damage has been so minimal that I can't even tell. Then, like most people, my phone is changed every couple of years or so (or sooner). I don't worry one bit about continuing the practice.
    You don't have to believe it... it's a function of the chemistry and backed up by industry research and lab testing data.
    03-31-2017 09:37 AM
    You don't have to believe it... it's a function of the chemistry and backed up by industry research and lab testing data.
    And yet, so negligible in practice as not to really matter. Especially with the rate at which we replace the devices anyway.
    03-31-2017 09:38 AM
    20% I would understand...50% loss should be considered a defect. My Galaxy S from 5 years ago does better.
    03-31-2017 11:02 AM
    It all depends on how you use it typically batteries hold 100% charge in 500 cycles. How fast you use your cycles determines how fast your battery deteriorates.
    03-31-2017 11:32 AM
    Leaving it on a 100% trickle charge all night is better than leaving it off the charger and having to charge it back to 100%. Which do you think generates more heat and stresses the battery?
    04-01-2017 04:43 PM
    Leaving it on a 100% trickle charge all night is better than leaving it off the charger and having to charge it back to 100%. Which do you think generates more heat and stresses the battery?
    Leaving it on the charger is worse. If you top it off in the morning, you're only doing it for a few minutes (and a nearly full battery won't pull much power) vs leaving it on the charger for several hours.
    04-01-2017 08:35 PM
    Leaving it on the charger is worse. If you top it off in the morning, you're only doing it for a few minutes (and a nearly full battery won't pull much power) vs leaving it on the charger for several hours.
    Seriously? How many milliamps do you think the phone is pulling overnight?
    04-02-2017 02:41 PM
    Seriously? How many milliamps do you think the phone is pulling overnight?
    It's not so much that... LiPo cells do not like anything when they are near or at their saturation charge. When it's full, it charges a little, stops for a bit, charges a little again, etc. So it's a little bit of stress on the chemistry of the cell over and over again.

Here's a good primer on some of the research.. it has links to more detailed info as well.

https://accubattery.zendesk.com/hc/e...nd-methodology
    04-02-2017 03:18 PM
    Still have a old s6 edge I'm about to trade in and it still has good battery life. Definitely hasn't lost 50%
    04-02-2017 07:56 PM
    Still going on with that? I use my phone all day and charge it at night which I assume is standard practise for most people. Every phone I've had has been the same. My phone is usually around 30% when I go to bed and it's at 100% when I get up. I could see if you left it for days but I think you're seriously overstating the issue.

What do you propose people do? Wake up every hour so you can remove it from the charger when it's at 100%.
    04-02-2017 08:05 PM
    Still going on with that? I use my phone all day and charge it at night which I assume is standard practise for most people. Every phone I've had has been the same. My phone is usually around 30% when I go to bed and it's at 100% when I get up. I could see if you left it for days but I think you're seriously overstating the issue.

What do you propose people do? Wake up every hour so you can remove it from the charger when it's at 100%.
    Well, it's the truth. Use your phone in whatever way you want... No one is telling you that you can't. But there are several things that if you follow them, either religiously or occasionally​, will extend the life of your battery... Things that are established properties of the battery tech that is being used. And there are other things that shorten that life. But it's your phone, do what you wish.

As for when to charge... I never leave my phone on the charger all night and every morning when I leave for the day - whether work or play - I leave with a fully charged phone without any hardship. 6P charges quite quickly, doesn't take much.
    04-02-2017 10:21 PM