05-08-2017 01:54 PM
159 ... 23456 ...
tools
    So far, I've easily resisted. As much as I love my S7E, the S8+ leaves me cold.

The new features are not anything I care about. I already don't like the fact I can't use Google Assitant via typing anymore, and must announce my life to anyone, anywhere, anytime I want to use it. I don't mind talking to Alexa in the privacy of our home, but Bixby can pound salt.

The battery life will be a downgrade from the S7E. It just will.

I fondled the S8+ and S8 at Best Buy the other day. The ergonmics from S7E to S8+ are *vastly* improved. I *must* use a case on my S7E all the time. I figure I'd be able to go without at home with the S8+. That's historically been my preference, and it's not something I could do with the S7E (false edge touches, uncomfortable in hand, fingerpints on the fingerprints on the fingerprints). The fingerprint magnet is still strong, especially on the black model. The silver version seemed to hide them much better than the black, or than my silver S7E.

My thought is to wait and see what the Pixel XL II has to offer. Maybe the Motorola Droid Force whatevertheycallitthisyear (Moto still does AOD better than anyone by far, and the battery life is killer...plus I could still have an AMOLED screen).

It isn't impossible to think I could wind up with an unlocked S8+ after they're released, but that's only if the new phone itch overcomes my lukewarm opinion of this phone (and the aforementioned two options disappoint).

Since I moved to Android from BlackBerry 4 years ago, the S7E is the phone I've kept the longest, at 13 months and counting.
    04-09-2017 09:26 AM
    Sitting here with my Coral Blue trying to fight all the S8/Plus temptations​. The plan is that I want to hold out for Note 8 BUT these are going to be a very long 6-7 months.

Anyone else fighting back?
    Nah!

I played with an S8 today, it was great but not enough to entice me.

I'm very happy with my S7 Edge and it's incredible battery life, I can hammer this phone for hours and I'll still have plenty juice left when going to bed.
    anon(10206632) and KPMcClave like this.
    04-09-2017 03:27 PM
    Man, that Samsung dude is lying to you just to make a sale. The Note 8 has already been confirmed by Samsung.

Don't fall for that crap, he is not getting any communication accept from his boss telling him "Do anything you can to make this sale and you will get a big bonus!. It is very important that sales are strong for the S8 and they are offering big incentives".

The nerve of some people!

This is just my opinion for what it's worth☺

It has been confirmed though.
    What madness indeed!

Phone salesmen​ are like small time care salesmen, do anything to get you to the latest model.
    LineKill likes this.
    04-09-2017 03:34 PM
    I've had the S3, S5, S7e. I tend to stay away from even numbered Galaxy's.
    haha I've had the s2-4-6 so all evens for me
    04-09-2017 04:58 PM
    I decided to look up the battery sizes and there's a whopping 100 mah difference between the s7 edge and s8+.

No difference between the s7 and s8.

People overreacting.

The s6 was something to be concerned about.
    04-09-2017 05:18 PM
    I decided to look up the battery sizes and there's a whopping 100 mah difference between the s7 edge and s8+.

No difference between the s7 and s8.

People overreacting.

The s6 was something to be concerned about.
    Did you look up the screen sizes?
    codeda likes this.
    04-09-2017 07:34 PM
    "Better camera" has been my main driver for upgrading to the next Galaxy model. I cannot resist the lure of a new camera feature, and Samsung has consistently had the latest and greatest cameras. The lack of any new camera feature in the S8 is a huge disappointment.
    04-09-2017 07:53 PM
    The lack of any new camera feature in the S8 is a huge disappointment.
    Well the hardware might be more or less the same but its improved on the software front. I am sure Samsung could've (may) brought the same software optimizations over to the S7/S7E lineup but may not choose to do so.
    04-09-2017 09:49 PM
    "Pictures are a little nicer" is not very compelling.
    04-09-2017 09:54 PM
    Got the spigen tough armor case in yesterday and it's practically the same width as my iPhone 7 tough armor case and about half an inch taller.
    04-09-2017 10:30 PM
    What are the benefits jumping to the S8 from the S7E? I only got the edge since it was the only phone available last year when my s5 broke. I honestly do not like the edge/curved screen part. Does the S8 have that?
    04-10-2017 12:29 AM
    What are the benefits jumping to the S8 from the S7E? I only got the edge since it was the only phone available last year when my s5 broke. I honestly do not like the edge/curved screen part. Does the S8 have that?
    Yes
    04-10-2017 06:56 AM
    Not as obvious as the S7 Edge. To answer yes, is not fair. Go see it yourself. Big big difference.
    04-10-2017 08:35 AM
    If you ever got to see the note 7, the 8 plus edges are like that. They aren't as curved as the s7 edge.
    04-10-2017 09:04 AM
    I'm satisfied with my S7 edge; not interested in the S8*or S8+ at this time.
    04-10-2017 09:51 PM
    I just pre-ordered the S8+. I also am NO fan of the stupid "edge." You do have to bear in mind that it's what allows Samsung to fit a bigger screen in a thinner ("less wide") phone, though. There is a bit of a difference between the S8 and S7 edges, though -- indeed, the S8 edges aren't as "extreme" as the S7 edge.

The benefits? With the S8+, you do get some extra screen real estate. The actual width of the screen is either the same or perhaps even a hair less wide on the S8+ than the S7 Edge, but the difference is negligible.

As a fan of Samsung's "S-View" case, the new equivalent is actually similar to the old "clear view cover," but with a horizontal stand capability that should be quite useful. I'll definitely get one of those.

One of the big advantages will be Bluetooth version 5, which should use less power, give you far more range, and allow you to connect two different devices at the same time. That could be useful. And there are some other significant "future proof" advantages -- new technologies that are in our future, and it'll be ready for them when they get here. Also, there will be 64GB of RAM, which should help keep things running quickly.

Another thing to consider are the promotions -- you usually see the VR headset, but I could care less about that. What I'll definitely take advantage of is the offer to get a set of wireless Bluetooth headphones and a 256GB MicroSD card for only $99 -- I'm definitely going to go for that. Note that you truly have to pre-order an S8 phone, "with service," in order to qualify for the promotions. Best Buy is giving you $100 off in the deal, too, so that's where I pre-ordered mine.

In the end, if you haven't already, head down to your local Best Buy store and check the S8 and the S8+ in person -- they have them on display, and you can play around with them quite a bit. "Swipe up" in order to get to all of the apps, then go to town and play with the phones. You might find stuff you like, maybe not -- but go check them out!
    04-10-2017 11:26 PM
    I just pre-ordered the S8+. I also am NO fan of the stupid "edge." You do have to bear in mind that it's what allows Samsung to fit a bigger screen in a thinner ("less wide") phone, though. There is a bit of a difference between the S8 and S7 edges, though -- indeed, the S8 edges aren't as "extreme" as the S7 edge.

The benefits? With the S8+, you do get some extra screen real estate. The actual width of the screen is either the same or perhaps even a hair less wide on the S8+ than the S7 Edge, but the difference is negligible.

As a fan of Samsung's "S-View" case, the new equivalent is actually similar to the old "clear view cover," but with a horizontal stand capability that should be quite useful. I'll definitely get one of those.

One of the big advantages will be Bluetooth version 5, which should use less power, give you far more range, and allow you to connect two different devices at the same time. That could be useful. And there are some other significant "future proof" advantages -- new technologies that are in our future, and it'll be ready for them when they get here. Also, there will be 64GB of RAM, which should help keep things running quickly.

Another thing to consider are the promotions -- you usually see the VR headset, but I could care less about that. What I'll definitely take advantage of is the offer to get a set of wireless Bluetooth headphones and a 256GB MicroSD card for only $99 -- I'm definitely going to go for that. Note that you truly have to pre-order an S8 phone, "with service," in order to qualify for the promotions. Best Buy is giving you $100 off in the deal, too, so that's where I pre-ordered mine.

In the end, if you haven't already, head down to your local Best Buy store and check the S8 and the S8+ in person -- they have them on display, and you can play around with them quite a bit. "Swipe up" in order to get to all of the apps, then go to town and play with the phones. You might find stuff you like, maybe not -- but go check them out!
    There is not 64 gb of RAM

There's 4 GB of RAM.
    04-11-2017 04:47 PM
    It is getting easier for me now as time progresses.
    04-12-2017 09:45 AM
    Piece of cake.

After the last Samsung debacle from not having a removable battery, I'm secure in my position to avoid ever buying one that lacks this simple feature.

Sticking with my time-tested Note 4.
    04-12-2017 05:19 PM
    It is getting easier for me now as time progresses.
    So true. I've decided to just stick with my S7 Edge and wait for Note 8.
    LineKill and Tsepz_GP like this.
    04-12-2017 06:50 PM
    Sitting here with my Coral Blue trying to fight all the S8/Plus temptations​. The plan is that I want to hold out for Note 8 BUT these are going to be a very long 6-7 months.

Anyone else fighting back?
    I actually preodered it on March 30th. Just cancelled my order yesterday. How's that for fighting back ! It's such an incremental upgrade. Sure that screen is pretty aluring but the S7 Edge is almost as good. I'm quite happy with that. Till something more monumental is out, I can wait.
    anon(10206632) likes this.
    04-13-2017 07:08 AM
    I actually preodered it on March 30th. Just cancelled my order yesterday. How's that for fighting back ! It's such an incremental upgrade. Sure that screen is pretty aluring but the S7 Edge is almost as good. I'm quite happy with that. Till something more monumental is out, I can wait.
    Another strong willed person👍 Like I said earlier it is getting easier for me. I almost preordered, but I really want the Note 8 and unfortunately I cannot have both ☺️
    Lance Redden likes this.
    04-13-2017 08:09 AM
    You have just been freed from the Matrix. Well done!
    Lance Redden likes this.
    04-13-2017 09:29 PM
    Another strong willed person Like I said earlier it is getting easier for me. I almost preordered, but I really want the Note 8 and unfortunately I cannot have both ☺️
    I need someone to keep me in check because I PLAN on getting both and right now I'm not doing a good job trying to stop myself.
    04-14-2017 12:29 AM
    I'm still holding off too.

I could buy the s8 or s8+ to replace my s7 edge but they do not not bring enough to the table for me to pull the trigger.

I have the disposable income as I purposely save each month to be able to finance the purchase.
    So I could buy the s8 s8+ and then move onto the Note 8 but I'm just not wowed by them and my s7 edge is only 8 months old and is solid.
    Lance Redden likes this.
    04-14-2017 12:59 AM
159 ... 23456 ...