Who has been able to resist S8/S8 Plus so far?

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
When I played with the s8 + the edges were like the note 7 edges and not as pronounced as the s7 edges.

That's kind of what I think I've read -- there's something different about them. I'm not familiar with the Note 7 -- never picked one up and looked at it before they were off the market -- so is it just something like the screen doesn't go all the way down to "halfway between the top and the bottom of the phone" like the S7 Edge? Thanks for your thoughts!

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
That's kind of what I think I've read -- there's something different about them. I'm not familiar with the Note 7 -- never picked one up and looked at it before they were off the market -- so is it just something like the screen doesn't go all the way down to "halfway between the top and the bottom of the phone" like the S7 Edge? Thanks for your thoughts!
The note 7 edges weren't as curved as the s 7 edge is. I'm probably describing it all wrong. Lol

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Don't see the point, it's got the same camera on the rear, worse battery capacity and life to drive the bigger screen and has nothing on it that makes me really want it. Always wait for the odd numbered release as they so far have offered the most new features. This is just a refreshed S7 with a slightly better screen, a voice assistant and a better selfie camera.

You could make that comparison with the s6 and s7.

The s8 is a new design. Next year, probably get roughly the same design, with some note 8 features and probably slightly bigger battery.

The rear camera is also not the same. And going 5-8mp on the front camera is pretty big deal.

If you haven't seen one in person, then you really won't understand the draw to it.

It's something you have to hold bc it throws your senses off, being so small with so much screen.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Almost preordered the phone but stopped myself. If I'm gonna be buying the phone at full price, I want an USA unlocked model in coral blue.
I'm like you but can't wait for the unlock model as I leave the country for 3 months on may 4th. I ordered the unlocked Verizon model with $100 package.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the 7 and comparing it to the 8 I have to say the curved screen makes it look better. If the s8 was flat I would not even upgrade.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

Excellent picture. Note how the S8 screen -- not counting the navigation buttons that are now at the bottom of the screen -- is virtually exactly as tall as the S7 Edge screen. Yes, the S8 is a smaller phone, and the screen is very notably not as wide as the S7 Edge screen. The S8+ does show some extra tallness, probably no extra width -- but is that wee bit of tallness worth the price, and the much bigger phone in your pocket? Obviously, for me, it's all about the screen -- but of course there are other differences. Finally, note the five icons on the S8 phones, but only four icons across on the S7 Edge -- in reality, you can get five icons on the bottom "home" row with the four-across grid, but you can also get a five-across grid, if you want it. So, don't get hung up on the smaller, denser icon look of the S8 screens.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Went to my local Best Buy store, and to the Samsung area. Started talking to the guy there about the S8+, and he pulled one out of a drawer, where it had been charging. So, I really got to play with it. First things first, I popped it into my left front pants pocket and sat down in a chair nearby -- I was able to sit down without any problem. So, I could probably live with it in that regard. We also looked at a bunch of other things, which generally met my satisfaction.

Then we started talking about promotions, and he showed me one that seemed to be "Get the VR thing, then you can get a set of Bluetooth earbuds and a 256GB MicroSD card for $99." Hmmmm. He grabbed one of the Best Buy higher-ups, and they talked about engineering everything -- the promotions expire April 20, whereas the phone is supposed to be available on April 21. So, this is all in "pre-order" territory. We talked about buying the S8+ outright, which I was expecting to do since I definitely haven't paid off my S7 Edge on AT&T's Next plan yet -- but that wouldn't trigger any of the promotions -- you've got to sign up for service to get them. So, it was "pay off the S7 Edge, then plug the S8+ into my AT&T plan. They talked about trading my S7 Edge in, which I figured was some kind of ridiculous thing like "for a $50 gift card," but they were talking about something like $300 - $350 for my S7 Edge. So, I might think about that, though I always just hang onto my phones as "backups" if I ever have any problems with my new phone.

Bottom line, looks like I'll go in next week when things are quiet, and sit down with them to come up with a plan to move forward.

Oh, and one other thing: The S8 phones on display tend to use a smaller zoom and a smaller font than I've been using on my S7 Edge -- frankly, I don't think I've ever messed with them. I mentioned this kind of thing up above -- comprehend how you can set your S7 Edge up very similarly to the smaller text and such that they tend to have the S8 phones on display set up with. You might make some changes to your S7 Edge that might help you avoid some S8 lust.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten so used to the S7 Edge battery that I can't take the step back to the S8. I have zero battery anxiety with the edge - not only does it last a long time, its standby is the best I've ever had, and even if it's down to 10%, I know I can make it 2 hours easy and then it charges so quickly I don't even bug out about it. I've literally never gone down to zero with the edge, and I don't feel compelled to go out of my way to bump charge it all the time. So the S8+ is my only option, and it really seems too big for one handed use. I think there's a more than 50% chance I'll be hanging on to the edge for another year. I've never had the same phone for more than a year. None of the other non-Samsung phones interest me at all. I think the edge is nicer than the G6 and I'll probably wait to see if the Pixel 2 blows me away.

It would be painful to lose Samsung Pay - I absolutely love Samsung Pay.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So far, I've easily resisted. As much as I love my S7E, the S8+ leaves me cold.

The new features are not anything I care about. I already don't like the fact I can't use Google Assitant via typing anymore, and must announce my life to anyone, anywhere, anytime I want to use it. I don't mind talking to Alexa in the privacy of our home, but Bixby can pound salt.

The battery life will be a downgrade from the S7E. It just will.

I fondled the S8+ and S8 at Best Buy the other day. The ergonmics from S7E to S8+ are *vastly* improved. I *must* use a case on my S7E all the time. I figure I'd be able to go without at home with the S8+. That's historically been my preference, and it's not something I could do with the S7E (false edge touches, uncomfortable in hand, fingerpints on the fingerprints on the fingerprints). The fingerprint magnet is still strong, especially on the black model. The silver version seemed to hide them much better than the black, or than my silver S7E.

My thought is to wait and see what the Pixel XL II has to offer. Maybe the Motorola Droid Force whatevertheycallitthisyear (Moto still does AOD better than anyone by far, and the battery life is killer...plus I could still have an AMOLED screen).

It isn't impossible to think I could wind up with an unlocked S8+ after they're released, but that's only if the new phone itch overcomes my lukewarm opinion of this phone (and the aforementioned two options disappoint).

Since I moved to Android from BlackBerry 4 years ago, the S7E is the phone I've kept the longest, at 13 months and counting.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Sitting here with my Coral Blue trying to fight all the S8/Plus temptations​. The plan is that I want to hold out for Note 8 BUT these are going to be a very long 6-7 months.

Anyone else fighting back? :)
Nah!

I played with an S8 today, it was great but not enough to entice me.

I'm very happy with my S7 Edge and it's incredible battery life, I can hammer this phone for hours and I'll still have plenty juice left when going to bed.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Man, that Samsung dude is lying to you just to make a sale. The Note 8 has already been confirmed by Samsung.

Don't fall for that crap, he is not getting any communication accept from his boss telling him "Do anything you can to make this sale and you will get a big bonus!. It is very important that sales are strong for the S8 and they are offering big incentives".

The nerve of some people!

This is just my opinion for what it's worth☺

It has been confirmed though.
What madness indeed!

Phone salesmen​ are like small time care salesmen, do anything to get you to the latest model.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I decided to look up the battery sizes and there's a whopping 100 mah difference between the s7 edge and s8+.

No difference between the s7 and s8.

People overreacting.

The s6 was something to be concerned about.