screen replacement, where?

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So I pre-ordered the S8 and planned on turning my S7E in to Sprint and start a new lease on the S8, well, today I dropped the S7E and cracked the screen!!!!!!! Ive owned A LOT of phones over the years, first one Ive ever cracked a screen on. who do I have repair it? and for less than $400 that I was quoted at a few places near me. I called Samsung but they couldnt give me an idea what it would cost...........

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I pre-ordered the S8 and planned on turning my S7E in to Sprint and start a new lease on the S8, well, today I dropped the S7E and cracked the screen!!!!!!! Ive owned A LOT of phones over the years, first one Ive ever cracked a screen on. who do I have repair it? and for less than $400 that I was quoted at a few places near me. I called Samsung but they couldnt give me an idea what it would cost...........
If in the US, Best Buy has a select few locations that are actual Samsung certified repair centers. I have one about 45 minutes away from me and they said they would charge $220 to replace a screen.

Start a chat with Samsung and see how much they will charge. When I was comparing costs of warranties I asked Samsung and they said it was $230-240 for a screen replacement.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
It can also depend on wether retaining the remaining Manufacturing Warranty is important to you as to where you get the screen replaced.

I had the pink line on mine which was fortunately replaced under the warranty.

Personally after paying such a large amount initially for the phone I want Samsung original parts on it and retain the warranty.

My philosophy is to pay that bit more for peace of mind. :)

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It can also depend on wether retaining the remaining Manufacturing Warranty is important to you as to where you get the screen replaced.

I had the pink line on mine which was fortunately replaced under the warranty.

Personally after paying such a large amount initially for the phone I want Samsung original parts on it and retain the warranty.

My philosophy is to pay that bit more for peace of mind. :)

I agree with you 100%. Since it is going to be traded in I would find the cheapest place possible☺

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you 100%. Since it is going to be traded in I would find the cheapest place possible☺

Yes I understand.

However I can't help feeling for the prospective new owner with voided Manufacturing warranty and possibly an inferior screen replacement if done by an unauthorised engineer. :(

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes I understand.

However I can't help feeling for the prospective new owner with voided Manufacturing warranty and possibly an inferior screen replacement if done by an unauthorised engineer. :(

That is a very good point for anyone buying a second hand phone.

It is so darn expensive for phone repairs now days.

Nobody wins either way.

One free OEM authorized screen replacement per phone would help.

I dunno...

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
So I pre-ordered the S8 and planned on turning my S7E in to Sprint and start a new lease on the S8, well, today I dropped the S7E and cracked the screen!

If your phone has non-oem parts, there is a chance sprint may refuse to take it back, or come after you later. You better read the fine prints on the trade in agreement.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Usually on trade ins, they will make sure there is no physical damage and if it works. They will not inspect the phone for OEM parts.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
If in the US, Best Buy has a select few locations that are actual Samsung certified repair centers. I have one about 45 minutes away from me and they said they would charge $220 to replace a screen.

Start a chat with Samsung and see how much they will charge. When I was comparing costs of warranties I asked Samsung and they said it was $230-240 for a screen replacement.
thanks! I actually found one not too far from me, gonna see how much it's going to be

That is a very good point for anyone buying a second hand phone.

It is so darn expensive for phone repairs now days.

Nobody wins either way.

One free OEM authorized screen replacement per phone would help.

I dunno...
agreed, HTC used to do that I believe

If your phone has non-oem parts, there is a chance sprint may refuse to take it back, or come after you later. You better read the fine prints on the trade in agreement.
yeah I had made the decision to send it back to Samsung or take it to a Best Buy or just pay it off and sell it on bone yard to soften the hit I'd take on it, if it's $400 or more through Samsung I don't think I'm going to do it........

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
$399 is absolutely ridiculous to repair the screen on a phone...regardless of how old it is.

I purchased my S7 Edge on Swappa in October for $450.

In these cases, insurance offers the peace of mind, but at a premium cost.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
$399 is absolutely ridiculous to repair the screen on a phone...regardless of how old it is.

I purchased my S7 Edge on Swappa in October for $450.

In these cases, insurance offers the peace of mind, but at a premium cost.
yeah it's quite absurd, I called a Best Buy in my state (52mi drive) I was quoted $199 and I'm good with that

Thanks @gvndeb60

Last edited:

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
yeah it's quite absurd, I called a Best Buy in my state (52mi drive) I was quoted $199 and I'm good with that

Thanks @gvndeb60

Anytime! Glad you got it all square away with minimal cost(versus the $400 you were getting quoted). If you don't mind, after you get it done, touch base with the ease of repair. I am considering purchasing Best Buy's warranty now that they actually service the devices.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
This is definitely a big "thumbs down" for Samsung. Apple is so much better when it comes to customer support like replace cracked screen. It's much cheaper too. I previously got them to replace the battery of a 4 year old iPhone for $99. I doubt that I'd be able to get Samsung to be the same for my S7 in 2 years.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Anytime! Glad you got it all square away with minimal cost(versus the $400 you were getting quoted). If you don't mind, after you get it done, touch base with the ease of repair. I am considering purchasing Best Buy's warranty now that they actually service the devices.
so I got the screen replacement done today, phone looks and acts 100% brand new! he had it done in about 1 hour, when I picked the phone up, he went over what he did, he said the frame was replaced along with the front screen, and he replaced the usb port (which turns out was acting up) all for $211.99 otd!!! the service was excellent and best of all, approved by Samsung. thanks again man!

and I agree with the above post, Samsung could learn a thing or two from Apple with their walk in service

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
so I got the screen replacement done today, phone looks and acts 100% brand new! he had it done in about 1 hour, when I picked the phone up, he went over what he did, he said the frame was replaced along with the front screen, and he replaced the usb port (which turns out was acting up) all for $211.99 otd!!! the service was excellent and best of all, approved by Samsung. thanks again man!

and I agree with the above post, Samsung could learn a thing or two from Apple with their walk in service

Mt screen cracked I went to my local best buy and the best could for me was send to the mall and a local dude both who charged 300.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Mt screen cracked I went to my local best buy and the best could for me was send to the mall and a local dude both who charged 300.
there are only a select number of Best Buy stores that are authorized to do repairs, the guy was telling me he's had people drive from West Virginia for repairs lol

Last edited:

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Glad to hear that it all went well for you and glad that Samsung is looking at a way for us to get our phones repaired locally.

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
there are only a select number of Best Buy stores that are authorized to do repairs, the guy was telling me he's had people drive from West Virginia for repairs lol

There must not be one anywhere near me cause they sure didn't mention one. I am going to use my phone unfixed as long as I can..... It's day 2 and I'm irritated so we will see how long it lasts.