S7 edge battery saving tips

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I've googled ways to save battery for the S7 Edge.

I really like having AOD but I know it eats up battery . :/ And so does the LED light indicator.

I've had to turn off AOD tonight. Just because I know it does eat up a percentage of battery. I wish I didn't have to. I've turned off LED light indicator a long time ago.

I've disabled / or blocked pretty much most notifications .

Any tips or anything to conserve battery?

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Abbers!

Have you ever looked at your battery stats to see what your top consumers might be?

To review your battery consumption on the S7 edge you need to do the following:

From Home screen,

App drawer > settings

Tap*Battery

Tap*BATTERY USAGE.

Could you maybe post a screenshot of that section? There are additional apps out there that monitor things like rogue apps (apps that are running in the background). However, let's review your battery stats first before we go that route.

Thanks!

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi Abbers!

Have you ever looked at your battery stats to see what your top consumers might be?

To review your battery consumption on the S7 edge you need to do the following:

From Home screen,

App drawer > settings

Tap*Battery

Tap*BATTERY USAGE.

Could you maybe post a screenshot of that section? There are additional apps out there that monitor things like rogue apps (apps that are running in the background). However, let's review your battery stats first before we go that route.

Thanks!

Most stuff that cause battery drainage is usually the phone system itself. I can.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah if you get a chance to screen shot that consumption page let's see if anything looks out of the ordinary.
Right now it looks like snapchat and messenger.

Besides the android system at the top. And even with a dim screen, it shows screen towards the top.

f41fca6795d9cc8a98e59c8da562b6eb.jpg

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
What's your typically day like? Are you able to make it through a whole day or are you charging multiple times a day?

Screen towards the top on your battery stats just means it's usage time (it's normal to be on the higher side). Yes, brightness does affect battery, but this is showing us how active the screen is on.

What I'd like to recommend is installing gsam battery app and letting it run for 24 hours. Then, post a screenshot of the gsam app open. There is a vacuum icon on the bottom of the app that is called "app sucker." I'll need a picture of that. But, the app needs to run for a while to do a diagnosis.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=u58Z0Ttn

Your stats don't initially look too alarming which is good!

While I'm sure you've seen a lot of this already, here's a great post from our very own folks at Android Central 😀. While the article is tailored specifically for the S7, if does apply to the Edge as well.

http://amp.androidcentral.com/fix-battery-life-galaxy-s7

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
What's your typically day like? Are you able to make it through a whole day or are you charging multiple times a day?

Screen towards the top on your battery stats just means it's usage time (it's normal to be on the higher side). Yes, brightness does affect battery, but this is showing us how active the screen is on.

What I'd like to recommend is installing gsam battery app and letting it run for 24 hours. Then, post a screenshot of the gsam app open. There is a vacuum icon on the bottom of the app that is called "app sucker." I'll need a picture of that. But, the app needs to run for a while to do a diagnosis.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&token=f_Ml-IZt

Your stats don't initially look too alarming which is good!

While I'm sure you've seen a lot of this already, here's a great post from our very own folks at Android Central ������. While the article is tailored specifically for the S7, if does apply to the Edge as well.

How to fix Galaxy S7 battery life problems | Android Central

I think most of the time, I charge my phone about once a day. Unless I'm going somewhere and I'd like my phone to be charged up a little more. Sometimes, I can go a day without charging it.

Do you want the screenshot of vaccum icon / app sucker page now or when the 24 hours is up?! And can I close the app and it'll still run in the background or do I need to do anything while it's running?

Well, that's good.

Thanks!

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
AOD should only use approximately 1% of battery per hour.

I'm in the opinion of not throttling the phone by turning off potentially useful features.

I usually get 2 days of usage from my s7 edge.

One thing I always turn off is the battery % sign and just enjoy using the phone without watching if the % figure will drop. ;)

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I turned off "OK Google" after I saw the AudioIn service with a large number of wakelocks and significant CPU utilization (I don't use the feature. It also required a restart to stop the service). I also keep Location off except when needed (I also turn it on occasionally to update satellite info for faster initial lock).

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I turned off "OK Google" after I saw the AudioIn service with a large number of wakelocks and significant CPU utilization (I don't use the feature. It also required a restart to stop the service). I also keep Location off except when needed (I also turn it on occasionally to update satellite info for faster initial lock).
@sparksd

How do you turn off 'Ok Google" I don't really use it either.

I never leave location, bluetooth or WiFi on unless I'm using it.

Last edited:

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
@sparksd

How do you turn off 'Ok Google" I don't really use it either.

I never leave location, bluetooth or WiFi on unless I'm using it.

Open the Google app
In the top left corner of the page, touch the Menu icon
Tap Settings > Voice > "OK Google“ Detection
Now you can turn it off by setting "Say OK Google any time" to off.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Open the Google app
In the top left corner of the page, touch the Menu icon
Tap Settings > Voice > "OK Google“ Detection
Now you can turn it off by setting "Say OK Google any time" to off.

Okay. Thanks. It was already off when I checked it.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
AOD should only use approximately 1% of battery per hour.

I'm in the opinion of not throttling the phone by turning off potentially useful features.

I usually get 2 days of usage from my s7 edge.

One thing I always turn off is the battery % sign and just enjoy using the phone without watching if the % figure will drop. ;)

I actually really like this! Too often I worry about the same stuff and put an emphasis on stripping features instead of just enjoying the device.

Abbers- after reviewing your gsam usage I think you're in a good spot. On that charge alone, you'll look to average a little over 4 hours screen on time which is fairly standard for an Android device. Yes, you'll have people come over and under this number, but if I were in the same spot i'd be satisfied for sure. My benchmark for Android is 3 hours SOT. Anything under that is unacceptable. It looks like you're taking the right steps to ensure good battery life. Plus, you are making it through a day as you mentioned, or sometimes into a second day. For Android, this is a big thumbs up!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am going to make a bit of a comment here... looking at those stats...

Your GSAM screenshot shows that it estimates over 6 hours of screen usage over 30 hours or so. If those estimates hold true, those are excellent numbers. Granted, you haven't gone through a few full cycles yet, so that's just a guess. But if you can get over 6 hours and need to charge once a day... don't take this the wrong way, but the phone's working fine, it's just your expectations that are off. 6+/30+... few phones can touch that sort of number.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I actually really like this! Too often I worry about the same stuff and put an emphasis on stripping features instead of just enjoying the device.

I also agree - what I have turned off is functionality I don't use - OK Google - and I toggle functionality I only occasionally use - Location.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692