Broken or sensitive buttons?

romjae

May 16, 2014
Visit site
For the last day and a half I noticed my volume buttons and the recent apps button reacting like they've been double tapped when touched.

Trying to view my recent apps while in an app will react like a double tap and switch to split screen mode. Turning off the split screen in settings seems to stop this, however that's not a real solution.

Using the volume keys, the volume slider goes all over the place as if I've hit it a couple times.

Suggestions?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You can test the hardware by dialing *#0*#, that will put you into the service mode.
Try wiping cache partition to freshen up the device a bit...

romjae

May 16, 2014
Visit site
You can test the hardware by dialing *#0*#, that will put you into the service mode.
Try wiping cache partition to freshen up the device a bit...

So I played with the service mode a bit. there was only one feature I found that seemed to test the hardware buttons. All it did was give me different colors for each button I pushed. I'm guessing that means they're ok.

Where abouts to do I go to clear out the cache though?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Glad you asked! Turn device off.
press and hold the power, volume down and home buttons. If it's going to work, you should get the Samsung logo on the screen. Once you see the logo, release the power button but not the other two!!
You should see the little green robot appear and do magic things, then fall over and play dead.
So you have the dead robot and the device saying it's dead, ignore all that and give the power button a push... A black screen should appear with small writing...
Using volume down button, scroll to the wipe cache partition, authorise the operation with power button. Read very carefully as the writing is small and you can do harm in this menu!
After a few seconds, you will be prompted to reboot the device, press power to ok this. The phone should reboot normally and should be refreshed, faster and hopefully no bugs!

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Everything Tim told you is correct except hold the volume up instead of volume down button. I am sure he just made a typo, but I didn't want you to freak outツ

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Not a problem my friend, we are here to help! Glad it's sorted. For future reference, the cache partition wipe cures minor ailments with Android devices... It's kinda like a spring clean as it were...
Happy days!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Bummer! Given that the wipe worked for a short time, and one key is a softkey, the other mechanical in starting to think it's software issue.
Can you tell us the device and software please mate?
It's starting to look like a factory reset may be your solution..

romjae

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm on android 7.0
Canadian carrier called Freedom
Samsung S7 Edge "sm-g935w8"

UPDATE: I had some software on the phone I deleted to see if it had an effect. Sentio. It's an OS for a Kickstarter product I was interested in.

I nearly never used it, but it would run in the background. It seems to have had an effect because after removing, it my phone's been fine. I'm surprised it took this long to act up as it's been there for over a month. Maybe an update didn't jive with my phone.

Will update if the issue returns but presently it seems that sentio was the cause.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish