Why do my lockscreen notifications disappear immediately after they appear

A

AC Question

So everything was fine until a few days ago when I downloaded a launcher app from the store, then I ended up deleting it but from then on whenever I got notifications from Snapchat, etc. They would appear on the lockscreen but disappear once the screen shut off. All of my settings are on for notifications and app settings but it really annoys me because if I'm not looking at my phone I have no idea if I'm getting messages or not. Any help?

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

Is it just the lock screen where you are not receiving notifications? Can you see them in the notification tray if the phone is unlocked?

Zach Cleave

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi thanks for answering, and yes it only happens when the screen is locked. I'll get a Snapchat notification and it will turn on the screen but as soon as it shuts off the notification is gone. When the phone is unlocked though it'll stay on until I go to the app

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi thanks for answering, and yes it only happens when the screen is locked. I'll get a Snapchat notification and it will turn on the screen but as soon as it shuts off the notification is gone. When the phone is unlocked though it'll stay on until I go to the app

I'm wondering if that prior launcher tampered with some settings. I know you mentioned about notifications being on for apps/settings, but did you look at some further settings in the notification area?

Settings app > notifications > configure notification settings (on the G5 plus its just a gear icon for the additional settings and it may show up differently on your device > What do your "on the lock screen" settings show? Does it say "Show all notification content" or "Don't show notifications at all"

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Try Settings > lock screen & security > Notifications (tap on this for additional settings) > Then it should show you those additional settings > scroll all the way down too to make sure nothing is turned off.

Zach Cleave

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
The thing is I still get a notification when it's locked, the problem is it disappears on it's own after a few seconds regardless if I've seen it or not

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Zach, welcome to the forums. What launcher did you install? I'd start clearing cached data from your storage settings and then restart the phone. Also, go to the security settings and see what's checked as device administrator.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
That's odd! That's a very reliable launcher. Please reference what Javier mentioned above too. Do you remember installing anything additional with Nova launcher

Zach Cleave

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I have android device manager set as my default device administrator. I went through and cleared the cache for most of my apps too, what's apps in specific should I clear the cache for?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I would clear all the cached data from the storage settings and then a restart.

I moved your thread to the S7 edge forum where it'll be easier getting feedback from other owners.

Zach Cleave

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I did so and it didn't do anything. Just to clarify the notifications work when the phone is unlocked and I'm in an app or on the home screen, but it only happens when the phone is on the lockscreen. The notification will appear and then immediately disappear. Is there anything else I can do?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what else to suggest. I've read a few reports about bugs with the AOD notifications after Nougat, but didn't find a definitive solution. Did you recently update the android version? Also, which lock method are you using?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just a question, is this happening with the notifications from all your apps or only with those that didn't came preinstalled and you downloaded?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It could be a bug or just a temporary glitch after the update. You could try a cache partition wipe from recovery, always recommended after a big system update.

You could also try switching notifications off and back on for some of the apps that are giving you problems.