Need help to flash Samsung S7 Edge SM-G935F

anon(8098745)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi!
A windows phone user here, needs help with an android device.
A friend bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935F) from UK, Got it flashed , so that it can be used in India.
Now the problem is , the phone is not getting any software updates.
Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
As long as you are flashing the official ROM from Samfirmware, it will get updates. There are so many guides and YouTube videos out there. Just search. Odin is the tool to do the flashing. You can flash as many times as you want until you are happy with the it.

anon(8098745)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Yes it works. Do you want a step by step guide for flashing?

It would be great if u can post a tutorial or pointer on how to get started with the process.
I am a newbie when it comes to Android, been a Windows Phone user ever since.

Another question: Will the phone receive future updates? Will this process "un-root" the phone?

Thanks

Last edited:

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks @tuscanybay.
Its a UK Model (SM-G935F) so if i flash it with the official ROM, will it work with Indian carriers as well?

Regarding your SM-G935F, the 'F' model is the 'international' line for the S7 Edge so there's a good chance it will work in India BUT that's dependent on which carrier you're using. Go here:
WillMyPhoneWork.net - Check if your phone works on a network
fill in the info for your model and it will show you a table of carriers and which bands they support.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
A windows phone user here, needs help with an android device.
A friend bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935F) from UK, Got it flashed , so that it can be used in India.
Now the problem is , the phone is not getting any software updates.
Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
If your S7 Edge was flashed with a stock ROM you may or may not get carrier-supplied OTA updates, it's going to be dependent on your carrier. If your S7 Edge was flashed with a custom ROM however, it will be a rooted device (stock ROMs do not require root, third-party ROMs do) and will probably be running a custom Recovery (probably TWRP, maybe CWM or Philz). Rooted devices cannot/should not be taking OTA updates, when you're rooted updates and upgrades are your responsibility.
Here's a write-up on steps to flashing a stock ROM, XDA Developers is a trusted site for Android phones:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/official-stock-firmware-update-odin-t3335065
Regarding Odin, note while it is a utility developed by Samsung it's also no longer supported by Samsung. If you encounter an issue using Odin, try using a version recommended for the version of Android you're working with:
Download Odin (All Versions) for Samsung Galaxy Devices
If you don't have access to a Windows PC (Odin is Windows only) there's an Open Source alternative called, "Heimdall" that runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows systems:
http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/
Use sammobile or updato for Samsung stock ROMs, both sites verify that their downloads are legitimate. Note that it's really, really important you get a ROM specific for your device. Don't mix and match:
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/
Download Firmware – Samsung Update
(sammobile downloads might take quite a while, it intentionally limits download bandwidth on its servers so even if you have a really fast connection on your end, be patient.)

anon(8098745)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
@smvim, one last favor; can u please guide me to select the region/carrier.

Sketch.png

I want the phone to work in India, but since it was brought from UK, i am skeptical as to what region/carrier i should select.
I read a warning on the box saying "European Model: This product should be activated with a SIM card issued from a mobile operator within Europe. (as defined EU/EEA, Switzerland and the following Non-EEA countries Albania, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (F.Y.R.O.M), Monaco, Montenegro, San Marino, Serbia and Vatican City.) To use SIM cards from other regions, a cumulative call over five minutes must first be made with the SIM card from European operators."

How to go about it?

What if i use Samsung Smart switch and select "Emergency software recovery and initialization".?

Last edited:

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
@smvim
I want the phone to work in India, but since it was brought from UK, i am skeptical as to what region/carrier i should select.
To be honest I really don't know for sure. Just speculating, I'm just assuming you would want to opt for the UK ROM as that was where you originally bought it, ROMs in general being specific to match the phone's hardware configuration (drivers and such tied to the chipset and radios inside). But depending on the carrier you're using in India that could leave you with a phone that has limited cellular connectivity. Did you check your phone's compatibility using that willmyphonework.net site? Different carriers in different nations rely on different cellular networks. That said, the 'F' being a global model I'd also assume it might have more hardware compatibility than other more region-specific and/or carrier-specific models (that need to have cellular radio chips that match up with a particular cellular network).
Hopefully someone else will chime in with better info on this matter.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante