S7 edge - AMOLED display cracked but front glass is ok

A

AC Question

Hello - I'm looking to see if anyone else has had a problem with their S7 edge display cracking but not the front glass. To be really specific the front glass on my phone is untouched and damage free, but the AMOLED display needs replacing.

A few weeks ago the display developed a small blob on the left hand side, after 2 weeks it stopped working completely. On the day it stopped working it began to flicker, and a horizontal line developed rendering the phone unreadable.

I sent it back to my phone retailer (EE) and they assessed it as an out of warranty repair due to damage. The question is - how can my screen crack due to damage, but the glass be ok? The only thing I can think of is the phone coming under some sort of torque or tension, but I find it hard to believe the display would crack, but the glass not?

I'm wondering whether there is an issue with fast charging, over heating or wireless charging. It's really hard to get an answer on google, as most examples talk about the front glass being damaged.

Has anyone else had similar? From day 1, the phone has been in a gel case, and only sustained not wear and tear.

I'm wondering whether the repairer saw a crack, and just was being lazy bucketing it up in the "damaged" category.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If I recall, the digitizer and the glass are two separate items sandwiched into a single unit. I have seen a damaged digitizer with no external damage. In my case, it was a drop from a school desk, bouncing off a backpack on its way to the carpeted floor. Yes, the phone was in an Otterbox Commuter.

While I'm sure that the damage could have been from a defect, it may be difficult to convince Samsung.

Good luck.