trying to upgrade to android 7 update shows current

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935A) and when I check for updates it shows that is is up to date.

But it still shows as Android 6.0.1
Build Number MMB29M.G935AUCU4APJ4

Phone is connected to AT&T and wifi, LTE, calls, and SMS all work

Any idea what is going on and how I can update to Android 7 ?
Thanks

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It can often take some time for the carrier to recognize a device and add it to the update queue when you first activate it.

If you don't want to wait, I'd try to load the new firmware using Samsung's Smart Switch. That will identify your device, then grab and install the latest correct firmware. Some time ago, however, I read that AT&T has done something to prevent some of its devices from being updated with Smart Switch. If that's the case and Smart Switch doesn't work for you, that leaves using ODIN (Samsung's maintenance utility) and doing it yourself.

You have to be very careful because it is also very easy to brick your phone if the process does not complete correctly. Understand how the process works, why it works as it does, and how to recover if things go wrong. You will also lose everything on your phone. So make sure that all of your photos, docs, music, etc are backed up. If the process works, your phone will be like it first came from the box with the latest Android 7 (that's the latest Android 7 as released by AT&T, not the no-fooling latest 7.1.x from Google).

The actual process for reflashing the firmware is just a matter of downloading ODIN and finding the right download package for your device. You can't mix and match here. Your phone won't work correctly with the incorrect firmware. This tutorial from one of the mods here is a good place to start.

[Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN with the New Interface

Good luck.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I just activated the phone yesterday, so you may be right
Is there any way to check this?

I also checked for a software update in smartswitch and it shows the phone is up to date

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It would appear that the firmware isn't readily available from the usual sources for the AT&T model. AT&T says that you have to grab their downloads directly from them via WiFi.

There look to be at least two updates that you'll need to have before loading the latest firmware. That may be what is preventing the system from sending them OTA. It might be easiest to contact AT&T to see if they can push the updates to you. There are other ways to get there, but they're not for the faint of heart. Do a search over at XDA for details.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I just had to wait for things to go through the system on AT&T.

My phone is updated today to Android 7
Baseband G935AUCU4BQA6

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an US unlocked S7 Edge that was on 6.0 all this time. I got the notice that an update was ready for it yesterday as well. Looks like whatever phones were missing the update got it yesterday. I skipped the update and disabled some things so that I am not prompted to install the update because I want to have a phone still on 6.0. I have two other S7 Edge phones already on 7.0.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power