chinese characters on s7 edge

Wbrian

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife has an S7 Edge. since this evening she's been getting a popup at the bottom of her screen, a grey oval box with what seems like chinese writing inside of it. It's making her crazy. Any ideas what might cause it and how to make it stop?
I've since googled a bit and found ES File explorer is a culprit. She's deleted it and hard restarted but no improvement...

Thanks!
WBrian

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved from the Nougat forum to the S7 edge forum.

Can you show us a screenshot? It might help if we figure out what the message says.

Wbrian

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I had posted it in the Nougat furum thinking it was an OS issue... screenshot coming...
she went for Sushi today and one if the girls said it said something about an app not working normally and closing...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Google Translate app says it translates to, "sorry, program abnormal." Hard to say what might be producing that "toast" notification (i.e., system vs 3rd party app). Where did your wife get her phone from? Was it directly from a carrier, or was it purchased from the web unlocked? Trying to determine if the phone might have been intended for the Chinese market, which could result in Chinese system messages.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I remember some threads talking about a similar toast some time ago and the culprits were ES File Explorer and a couple of Cheetah Mobile apps. See if they are installed in your wife's phone.

Also, next time she gets that message see what's listed under settings - memory, the culprit should be there. Another way could be checking out the running processes. Not sure about the S7, but in most modern phones you need to enable Developer Options to make this option available.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Glad you managed to fix it and thanks for the follow up! It'll be very helpful for other users with a similar issue. See you around the forums.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! Can you let us know what the exact app was? As Javier P mentioned, that would be helpful for other users as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech