Galaxy S7 Edge screen destroyed by a 2cm drop

pixel girl

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
So, I was laying in my bed, holding my phone a little above my chest to watch TV on it. It slipped out of my hands, and dropped literally two centimetres onto my metal and plastic vaporiser (which, by the way, was completely undamaged by the incident). This was the result:
s7 edge damage 1.jpg
s7 edge damage 2.jpg
I'd been offered insurance. Had I known that this phone was more fragile than a newborn kitten with brittle bone disease that's been dipped into liquid nitrogen, I'd have taken them up on the offer and put the phone in a very bulky, protective case. But for this to be the damage after a two centimetre drop? Something is inherently extremely defective about this phone's construction. Did Samsung's engineers not learn their lesson from the Note 7 about pushing materials past their intended design specifications?

pixel girl

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Not really, it's got very rounded edges. Here's some pics of it. The damage to the paint job was already there, it's got kinda worn over the year or so I had it, though I kinda like it because it reminds me of beat up old Star Wars tech. But yeah, no real sharp edges on this thing.
vape 1.jpg
vape 2.jpg

pixel girl

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
I didn't have time to try and catch it. It was over in a fraction of a second. I mean, an object dropping two centimetres happens extremely quickly, you know?

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Anything will break given the right circumstances. Personally, and knowing my family, I buy the insurance on all my phones, which costs me the equivalent of a new phone every year, but it is nice to use the insurance when something goes wrong once or twice every couple of years.

If you are strong-willed, then you could put a few dollars a month into a phone-emergency fund just in case you break your phone.

Unfortunately for me, that is not an option in my household.

pixel girl

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
I'm likely gonna have to get into a big fight with my phone carrier about repairing this. As you can probably see from the calendar displayed, I'm a disabled woman who has to live on disability benefits alone, so I really don't have all that much money to spare. I go with a good smartphone because with my disabilities, such a device is one of the best disability aids I can have. I didn't go for insurance because I never used the phone in what, before a couple days ago, I'd have considered an even remotely hazardous environment for it. And due to those (mental health related) disabilities this caused me two days of panic attacks and being too depressed to get out of bed. I mean, had I dropped it onto a floor or something I'd hold my hands up and say "yeah, this was my own fault", but... something like this? To me, that's an inherently defective product that's clearly not fit for purpose. And I read some review of the durability of the S8's screen, it's apparently even more fragile, at least in the tests that review conducted. What are Samsung thinking?

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I was laying in my bed, holding my phone a little above my chest to watch TV on it. It slipped out of my hands, and dropped literally two centimetres onto my metal and plastic vaporiser (which, by the way, was completely undamaged by the incident). This was the result:
View attachment 262727
View attachment 262728
I'd been offered insurance. Had I known that this phone was more fragile than a newborn kitten with brittle bone disease that's been dipped into liquid nitrogen, I'd have taken them up on the offer and put the phone in a very bulky, protective case. But for this to be the damage after a two centimetre drop? Something is inherently extremely defective about this phone's construction. Did Samsung's engineers not learn their lesson from the Note 7 about pushing materials past their intended design specifications?
That has got to be the funniest description I've read in a long time! LOL

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ouch! Yeah unfortunately as the Gorilla Glass gets more hardened, the easier it can be to break in some circumstances.

Your S7 seems to have landed on your vapouriser right on the curvature on the Display which is the weakest point of these curved displays unfortunately.

So sorry to it happened to you.

pixel girl

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Annoyingly I didn't even want this phone in the first place. I wanted a Pixel XL, but they were out of stock, and I was in hospital with a broken leg and a half broken iPhone, so I settled because I needed a quick replacement. I mean, even before it broke, the edge screen was always erratic... detecting touches when it shouldn't, not detecting them when it should... and of course any full screen video gets annoying curves at the top and bottom. I was willing to put up with that... I'm not willing to put up with a phone that could be smashed by a well placed pillow strike.

BruceFlea478

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I've always used a slim style case for my phone and it's survived a drop from my shoulder on tile flooring while talking and I'm 6'5". That's a real bummer about the screen. I also use to have the issue with the sides of the screen for touch until I got the case on it as well.

I hope you get this all sorted out.

pixel girl

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
You know I actually tried to buy a case for this phone, twice. First time, thanks to Amazon being stupid with search results, I ended up with a plain S7 case. Second time, only half of the case arrived (I got a refund for that).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I broke the display on my S7 Edge on Christmas Eve when I tripped on some stairs and the phone was in a case. Mine actually had glass fall out. I got quoted $350-$400 to replaced the display. I later replaced the phone when T-Mobile had a sale on the S7 Edge for $360.

You'll be better off now just looking for another phone.

20170628_104951.jpg

Emily 1

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
This happened to me with my Galaxy S7 three days after I got it. Granted mine was more of my own fault. I had not put a case on the phone yet, was waiting for one off Amazon rather than spend $40 in Verizon. Was getting out of my car and the phone slipped out of my bag and hit pavement face down. It did have a screen protector on but the screen still cracked. First time this ever happened to me. Luckily I was able to sign up for a squarespace insurance policy because it was a new phone, and then I paid the deductible to get it fixed. I think I still paid around $200 to get it fixed (between the cost of the insurance policy and the deductible) but out of pocket to fix it would cost even more. It was worth it at the time because the phone was brand new and I planned to use it for 2 years. Plus now I guess I have insurance for the phone (I've never bought it in the past either). I agree with you these phones are fragile and I've been paranoid about it ever since.

Really sorry to hear about what happened with you. I hope you find some resolution. The phone definitely should not have cracked in your incident, but unfortunately if the phone falls just the right way it will crack when these phones are made of so much glass material.

alexficken1

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 262727
View attachment 262728

It was in my pocket in my school blazer, which is on the left side of your chest, i slipped and my phone hit a metalbar, the back is completely shattered and its bent so much it doesnt even work