Fragility of s7 edge

A

AC Question

I just bought a S7 edge and I now I' worried about its screen being cracked. How much fragile s7 edge really is ? Normally, I handle phones well but again this is my first phone of 5.5 inch so Im worried about accidental drops. Should I be that scared ? Do I need some srtrong cases? Tell me guys.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately yes, the new Samsung phones are somewhat fragile. I would strongly recommend you get a case soon. I use a Spigen Tough Armor on my S8+, but there are many good cases available. Best of luck with the new phone, they are very nice :)

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Dropped mine four feet onto a hardwood floor in a Caseology case without any damage. Still in perfect shape, no scratches.

de1988

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I've dropped mine a few times too and never had any issues with it breaking! And I just use a iJELLY case which is thin and flexible.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have 1 question, though. Why does everyone rely on those cases if they don't cover the display? Or is it assumed that the phone will hit a corner and not fall flat on the display 99% of the time? I am simply curious.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
On orchids phones I used an Otterbox Defender, which comes with an integrated screen cover. The version for the S7E does not work as well as the iterations for non-curved displays, so I went for a soft screen protector and a Unicorn case.

So far, this combination has done the job well. I drop my phone probably once every other week and so far it had survived the past six months.

I do buy the insurance, though, on the chance that one of these drops does turn catastrophic.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have 1 question, though. Why does everyone rely on those cases if they don't cover the display? Or is it assumed that the phone will hit a corner and not fall flat on the display 99% of the time? I am simply curious.

I use a case because it does provide some degree of protection - mine didn't break when I dropped it - but also because it makes the phone easier to grip.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I broke my original S7 Edge on Christmas Eve. I had it in a Spigen Tough Armor case and the case really didn't do anything to protect the phone. You can see in my pic below that even the case suffered some damage. Repair quotes ranged from $350-$400.

I eventually replaced the phone when T-Mobile had a sale on the S7 Edge for $360.

20170709_095334.jpg

talberry

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I've had a pretty good experience so far.
just the other day, my phone fell face down onto the floor. not a scratch on it at all :) pretty happy with it so far!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
ouch these phones are fragile....
I'm guessing it's part of the Gorilla Glass tech. They make the glass harder and less prone to scratching, but the harder something is, it has a tendency to get brittle. Diamonds for example are the hardest substance known, but it's brittle. Plus the new Gorilla Glass on the S7 isn't harder than the previous generation. It's just as hard but thinner and lighter, hence easier to break. We traded durability for prettiness (no scratches).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995