Setting up fingerprint unlock without lock pattern?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I played with the fingerprint setup on my S7E, but I noticed that I can't set it up before setting an unlock pattern too before.

I really don't want to go through several processes so I can do a basic unlock of my phone, so I was wondering if there is a way to only set up a fingerprint without the unlock pattern?

Thank you and appreciated.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I use a pin with it. It requires a backup security either pin or pattern I believe. However, you can set your phone to not actually lock for up to 3o minutes so that way you can use just the fingerprint to wake the screen.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
When setting up the phone for fingerprints, it requests either a pattern or a PIN, and requires this alternate security method whenever the phone is powered on (and when one registers new fingerprints), which makes some sense, though one imagines the software engineers have maybe seen too many movies where the bad guys walk through secure installations with the help of severed body parts...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's an alternate, not a second lock. You can unlock it with fingerprint and it will not ask for the PIN.

Also you need it. What if you only enrolled one finger and got a paper cut? You won't be able to open your phone for a couple of days.

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
The pin is for that time when your fingerprint doesn't work. It's plan B, not a double unlock. Also allows family access to your phone via pin when you can't.

Dub0401

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I wanna use swipe lock or no lock with fingerprint. I want to log into apps that use fingerprint or password with fingerprint but not lock the phone itself.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I wanna use swipe lock or no lock with fingerprint. I want to log into apps that use fingerprint or password with fingerprint but not lock the phone itself.

Not possible. Those apps that work with fingerprints require authentication via accounts and the phone needs to be secure for that.

Dub0401

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Not possible. Those apps that work with fingerprints require authentication via accounts and the phone needs to be secure for that.

Well it should be because the apps are already protected by a password.

Example is my banking app. It needs a password to login. Even with my screenlock disabled I still need the password to get into my bank app. If I enable screenlock I still need a password for my bank app. Screen lock doesn't protect my bank app, the password to login to it does. It also offers fingerprint login, and using that does the same thing as typing the password. I want to use that without the screenlock having to be set. I don't get what screenlock has to do with apps protected by a password already. Its not like the app is unlocked because I entered a pin/fingerprint/pattern to unlock my phone.

piannetta

May 13, 2012
Visit site

My phone used to show me to setup and use fingerprints with a lock screen. I've used swipe to unlock for years and used fingerprints try worked with my banking apps.

But recently, and I suspect after the upgrade to Android 8, that changed. Very annoying!!