Hey guys

I have the S7 edge, when i bought it as a refurb model earlier this yeat i noticed the keyboard was lagging in some apps more than others, it still does it, the only way to get an acceptable responsiveness from the keyboard is to disable all keyboard features i.e. from the key feedback to the predictive text etc. It seems to be worse in Textra but a bit better in Whatsapp.

I have researched this issue and it seems a common problem but nobody seems to have found a definitive answer, it seems some people just disable a few of the keyboard features and live with it that way. I get the same problem when using the Google keyboard and Swiftkey, i find the Samsung keyboard to be a little bit better.

I do have a lot of things disabled with Package Disabler Pro but i was getting the lagging before everything was disabled.

Does anyone have any known fixes for this issue?
    08-13-2017 05:17 PM
    Do you wipe the cache daily? I experienced lag too, even with the bloatware disabled. Closing down apps & clearing the cache, for me, were the best fixes.
    08-13-2017 05:44 PM
    Honestly the Samsung keyboard just lasts long enough for me to download Swiftkey, and then it's unused for the rest of the phone's life (or until I factory reset it, I usually do so before a major OS update).

Try downloading a new keyboard app, and see if that still lags. If it doesn't, then it's just the keyboard app that's having a problem, and you get a better keyboard out of it. The most commonly suggested are Gboard by Google (this is the keyboard that comes in Pixel phones), and Swiftkey (Microsoft owns this one now). I prefer Swiftkey, especially since the buttons don't flow over the edge.
    08-14-2017 03:22 AM
    Honestly the Samsung keyboard just lasts long enough for me to download Swiftkey, and then it's unused for the rest of the phone's life (or until I factory reset it, I usually do so before a major OS update).

Try downloading a new keyboard app, and see if that still lags. If it doesn't, then it's just the keyboard app that's having a problem, and you get a better keyboard out of it. The most commonly suggested are Gboard by Google (this is the keyboard that comes in Pixel phones), and Swiftkey (Microsoft owns this one now). I prefer Swiftkey, especially since the buttons don't flow over the edge.
    I use SwiftKey too and still experience occasional keyboard lag. I've found I was able to minimize it by disabling bloatware, keeping the cache clear, and doing the occasional soft reset. Unfortunately it seems like Samsung has had a systemic issue with keyboard lag. Honestly, this will be my last Samsung. I'm on my 5th Edge 7 due to various warranty issues.
    08-14-2017 07:15 AM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Like Murph i also experienced lag when using swiftkey, google keyboard and samsung keyboard. I did try clearing the cache using the maintenance app and this seems to have worked as there seemed to be less lag. It is a nuisance trying to remember to do this every day, is there an app that can schedule clearing your cache every day?
    08-16-2017 12:54 PM
    I have installed Swiftkey again. It certainly seems a bit quicker on this occasion. I will keep an eye on the lag and clear the cache if reqd or do a soft reset. When using the samsung keyboard the predicted words were delayed in being displayed, with Swiftkey they are showing the predicted words instantly. I will stick with this keyboard for now.

Thanks for the assistance guys..
    08-26-2017 07:00 AM
    the key press animations of all keyboards lag on my s7 edge. gboard isn't too bad and is better than the Samsung keyboard but still a bit laggy. SwiftKey is absolutely awful and I can't use it unless I switch off the key press animations as they may so far behind I find it distracting.
    08-27-2017 09:35 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I turned on the click sound, it gives you an idea of the delay between the key press and the letter being typed, the animation is in between the two. For some reason Whatsapp is snappier, so is Messenger, Textra is noticeably slower and so is my email apps. Goodness knows why it differs.

When i first got my S7 a few months ago one of the first apps i installed was Textra, i was using the standard keyboard and this app and had all the bloatware enabled, the results were a very slow unusable Textra app, i thought there was a fault with my phone it was that bad. After i disabled tonnes of bloatware things are more useable now but im still getting some lag. All my apps and phone performance seems fine, its just the keyboard that is lagging.
    08-27-2017 10:17 AM
    I've written about this for a couple years now and swift key has ignored my responses. The lag with swift key is unbearable with Android devices . And although it is not constant .....it creeps up every 2 weeks and is unbearable . When the lag hits , there is a 2 second delay in keyboard response time. For a technology firm like swift key, this is a a deal breaker . Everyone in the Swift Key IT group knows there is a problem . No one will tolerate a 2 sevind delay when typing ..... But they cannot or will not fix this

The SK app performance seems to be directly tied to internet performance . I think swift key is trying to capture user data....therefore, when internet performance is slow , the keyboard follows

To combat this, I tried to turn off off all communications with swift key databases , however, the problem persisted . The solution? I was deleting and reinstalling swift key every single month to solve this . For the last 5 years .....

I am all done with swift key . GBOARD from Google has finally caught up to swift key prediction....acceptable for fast typing . Prior to 2017, this was not the case. However , the last release is almost identical to swift key prediction (I am texting 100-200 times per day and I manage an email inbox of 150 to 200 emails )

GBOARD will probably render the Swift Key company obsolete within 2 years. Look for Swift Key to be gone by 2019. Why? Because they are either incompetent or they just don't listen
    09-02-2017 01:56 PM
    It looks like you have thoroughly test both google and swiftkey keyboards. At the moment swiftkey is working fine for me. After reading your post i have installed gboard too. I will swap between the two and see which i prefer, i just hope i dont get any lag after continued use but i will see how it goes. Gboard does seem a little bit better on initial impressions.
    09-05-2017 08:30 AM
    Microsoft actually recently bought out Swiftkey.

Anyway my beef with Gboard is how the letters flow over the edges.
    09-05-2017 06:31 PM
    Microsoft actually recently bought out Swiftkey.

Anyway my beef with Gboard is how the letters flow over the edges.

Yeah one of the things i dont like about the Samsung. The curved edges look great but are a bit ir a nuisance sometimes like when the keys are located there. After fitting an oem clearcase its a bit better to hold without touching the edges.
    09-06-2017 09:32 AM
    Yeah one of the things i dont like about the Samsung. The curved edges look great but are a bit ir a nuisance sometimes like when the keys are located there. After fitting an oem clearcase its a bit better to hold without touching the edges.
    Swiftkey doesn't flow over the Edge, neither does the stock Keyboard.
    Robert Lindsay likes this.
    09-06-2017 09:44 AM