Screen Casting

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most TVs support direct connections (WiFi Direct), so just set your TV to its screen sharing input and then set the S7 to
Screen Mirroring (or Smart View, can't remember what it's called there) so that it can see the TV.

If your TV, however, doesn't support direct connections, then you won't be able to wirelessly cast your screen without a router in the middle.

Robert Lindsay

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
there is serious lag using the screen mirroring or smartview features, if you use the you tube app on your phone and cast to the youtube app on your tv, this seems to be ok for me as far as lip sync goes.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
'Lag' should only occur if your network doesn't have enough bandwidth or if your connection is not strong enough. Since the OP mentioned that they don't have an Internet connection on the TV, your 'app' suggestion will not work in this case.

Robert Lindsay

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
'Lag' should only occur if your network doesn't have enough bandwidth or if your connection is not strong enough. Since the OP mentioned that they don't have an Internet connection on the TV, your 'app' suggestion will not work in this case.

i wish the smartview would work but audio sync is miles out, im not suggesting bt broadband is ace but it should not be a problem, if i use the your tube app everything is fine, if i try to use screen mirroring or the smartview app, lip sync is out by miles, if anyone can suggest a fix then fine then im all ears, so far Samsung support are a bit **** to say the least.

does smartview work for you without lip sync issues?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
i wish the smartview would work but audio sync is miles out, im not suggesting bt broadband is ace but it should not be a problem, if i use the your tube app everything is fine, if i try to use screen mirroring or the smartview app, lip sync is out by miles, if anyone can suggest a fix then fine then im all ears, so far Samsung support are a bit **** to say the least.

does smartview work for you without lip sync issues?

Yup, no issues on mine. When you use the YouTube app on your TV (or a Chromecast), it's the app doing the actual download, not your phone. With screen mirroring, it's the phone doing all the work, and then beaming the image and audio to your TV...that does take some processing, so I forgot that part: if your TV or phone (or both) processors are either not fast enough or are doing other things, image might suffer, and sometimes, audio sync. It also is app-dependent sometimes, unfortunately.

But for the most part, it's worked OK for me. No audio sync problems to a 3-year-old Samsung TV.

Robert Lindsay

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Yup, no issues on mine. When you use the YouTube app on your TV (or a Chromecast), it's the app doing the actual download, not your phone. With screen mirroring, it's the phone doing all the work, and then beaming the image and audio to your TV...that does take some processing, so I forgot that part: if your TV or phone (or both) processors are either not fast enough or are doing other things, image might suffer, and sometimes, audio sync. It also is app-dependent sometimes, unfortunately.

But for the most part, it's worked OK for me. No audio sync problems to a 3-year-old Samsung TV.

Im glad to hear it does work for some people. As you say it will take alot of processing for this but you would think they would not have made the feature available if it did not work well. My Samsung s7 phone should be powerful enough, it has a lot of stuff disabled too so it not running other things. Maybe the tv i not up to the job, when i start my tv i have to wait about 30 second before i can use the remote and change the source input, its as if its waiting on the system fully loading like a pc.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Most TVs support direct connections (WiFi Direct), so just set your TV to its screen sharing input and then set the S7 to
Screen Mirroring (or Smart View, can't remember what it's called there) so that it can see the TV.

If your TV, however, doesn't support direct connections, then you won't be able to wirelessly cast your screen without a router in the middle.

Gotta correct you, there are ways to cast without a router. Microsoft's Miracast doesn't require home internet or a router. I have one plugged into the HDMI of my TV and screen mirror my phone for Netflix and other streaming.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Gotta correct you, there are ways to cast without a router. Microsoft's Miracast doesn't require home internet or a router. I have one plugged into the HDMI of my TV and screen mirror my phone for Netflix and other streaming.

That's WiFi Direct right there :)

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
So I have a question... What settings do I need to check so I can watch what's on my TV, on my phone?

I have 2 Samsung Smart TVs, and when I had the Note 7, I was able to mirror from my TV to my phone easily.
Now, I swear I've also done this on my S7E after I got it, to watch Football while doing stuff in the kitchen, and for some reason, recently, I can only mirror one way from my phone to my TV, but not the other way.

I've tried to search settings for Mirroring but I didn't find anything that helped.

Any thoughts?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
On the newer phones that has been moved to the 'Smart View' menu. If you're on the same WiFi and the TVs are supported, you should see the option to cast from TV on the Smart View pop-up. Also check your router if there have been any configuration changes that might be blocking the mirroring traffic packets or VPN that might be active as this might restrict your phone's ability to see the TVs in the network.

If that doesn't work you can try and find an old version of the SmartView app (version 2, I believe) as the latest version on the Play Store removed the ability to mirror from TV as they planned to include that with the phone.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
On the newer phones that has been moved to the 'Smart View' menu. If you're on the same WiFi and the TVs are supported, you should see the option to cast from TV on the Smart View pop-up. Also check your router if there have been any configuration changes that might be blocking the mirroring traffic packets or VPN that might be active as this might restrict your phone's ability to see the TVs in the network.

If that doesn't work you can try and find an old version of the SmartView app (version 2, I believe) as the latest version on the Play Store removed the ability to mirror from TV as they planned to include that with the phone.
Thanks! I'll check my TV setting when I get home.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I'll check my TV setting when I get home.

Hope it works! In my case, I have to use the SmartView old app for one of my TVs (2014 model), but my newer TV (2016) does work directly from the phone's SmartView menu. I can also control the latter with my phone via WiFi, whereas the first I need an IR Blaster.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I think I figured it out. for some strange reason, I had to download smart connect, even though I can see my TVs from my phone. it now let's me view my TV on my phone. While I was able to see the TVs available, for some reason, view TV on device was missing. it had to have been an update that changed it. I had it before, but in any case it's working now. thanks guys!

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Problem solved. Used smart screen with an Anycast M2 Plus. copies everything to the tv with no delay. total cost $15.00. Works like a champ.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
3 weeks of searches, still can't find a way to cast my father's S7 Edge to his TV. I tried wired solutions and Microsoft's Display Adapter (since it was suggested on this forum). It simply does not work without wifi, tried it on a few different phones now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn