How to do factory reset when you've forgotten Samsung account password

ruby2zday

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a Samsung galaxy s7 edge, a middle eastern version (if that matters) that I bought unlocked, new on ebay. A couple months ago the gmail app stopped syncing, apps wouldn't update and I couldn't download new apps from play store ("downloading . . . " forever). I took it to a Samsung rep at a Best Buy and he said he couldn't figure out what was wrong but that SOMETHING was and he suggested a factory reset. I've backed up my stuff and I'm ready to do that but when I started the process realized I forgot my samsung account password. I tried to change it but a warning popped up that said not to change your password unless you disable the reactivation lock first - but you need your password to do that??!!!! Is there a way I can tell (without the password) if the reactivation lock is even enabled??? Please help. Thanks!

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Edit:
There is an easy way to check Reactivation lock status: Settings> Security, Reactivation lock should be under Find My Mobile category. However, yes, you need Samsung pasword in order to disable it.

Turn off your phone, then press and hold Power + Home + Volum down at the same time until a screen with yellow mark appears, then press Volume up key. Now you should enter Download/Odin mode where you should be able to a line of text REACTIVATION LOCK: OFF/ON.

Actually, you can factory reset your phone in Recovery mode (Power + Home + Volum up) without Samsung passord. However, you may still need to log in Samsung account or Google account while setting up due to Factory reset protection. It would be best if you could get back your Samsung password.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruby2zday

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I read that removing the google account disables factory reset protection? If the google account is removed and the reactivation lock is off, I should be able to reset my password safely? And then do a factory reset?

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
As far as I know, remove all the Google accounts on your phone should disable factory reset protection. However, I'm not sure about whether Samsung account would prevent you from set up after factory reset.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung ID won't be removed even if you force a factory reset through recovery mode. During set up it will still ask you to put in your Samsung ID and password. I work at a cell phone warehouse and when we get returns from customers, 80% of the time they factory reset without removing the Samsung ID which will therefore render the device useless. If I recall correctly, you can try logging on Samsung.com and select "forgot password" and follow through the process and once you change the password, you should be able to log on to your phone. I had to do it when I had the S7 Edge and was changing from the S5 - I forgot my password to my Samsung account and was able to change it this way.

KozarisTyrn

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Last few days my S7 Edge has this stupid Odin Mode but it usually occurs around 2-5% battery if I turn it off or if it auto offs from dead battery. I can simultaneously hold Power, Volume down and it over rides Odin and restarts. Couple days ago I ran Software Update...all apps have a new look mostly acceptable but this stupid "Official Samsung faplock blah blah." How EXTRAORDINARILY ASININE...Mulfunction of "marshmallow" or whatever Android version...or Malicious Annoyance designed to SCREW with your head.

einschneidend

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I don't know if this is still useful but this is what I did,
under Backup and Reset menu there's an option called reset
it has a label that says 'Reset all settings to their defaults'
I did that and it let me sign in (a few times, then phone restarted)
and then proceeded with the factory reset.
(The forgotten password should be retrieved in the Samsung page).
I hope it helps.