s7 Edge Battery Questions?

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
No. Charge now. You should not ever let a lithium ion battery go down below 40%. At least not when you can help it. It creates more wear and tear for the battery internals. Regularly depleting it ti below 5% actually runs the risk of killing it.

That's true and all, but when I'm testing, I do let it go as low as I need.

It's the "regularly" part that does the damage.
Just once wouldn't do anything bad...

EDIT: For a while I used a piece of software to warn me when battery dropped to 30% or reached 80% during charging - I was only using it between those two extremes, charging up to 3x per day!

You should see how wonky the percentages go, when you do that! They have no problem adding up to numbers well above 100... At one point my Android System usage was at 74%! That must have been when I figured out, how the new and "improved" percentages work...

(It only resets the counter once you charge above 90%)

Last edited:

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
Really is it really true about these batteries..because i just charged my phone when warning notification shows up like 15% or 20%. Snapdragon variants of S7 Edge does consume more power
because i have a friend with s7 edge G935F Exynos version and he's not into tech so he doesnt know
what are the features of his s7 so when i opened it like his location was on, NFC is on, Brightness is set to like 70% and news feeds pops up.. Edge feature enabled..but i was able to hold it for
like 30 minutes..i can notice that the battery drains like 1% every 7 minutes when im browsing with
all those features enabled. and 9-10 minutes with only on the Home Screen. Compared to my
S7 Snapdragon that loses 1% every 5 minutes with those Features disabled and only using WiFi.

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
But why does samsung doesn't tell you this that you need to charge your phones on
these battery levels. Just bought Anker 10400mah Power Bank yesterday because when im outside i feel like my battery wouldn't last a day when im outside. Not like when i was in Marshmallow that i dont care about my battery stats cause at the end of the day i still have like enough juice to last me another day.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Really is it really true about these batteries..because i just charged my phone when warning notification shows up like 15% or 20%.

Well in the settings somewhere (Battery, Advanced, Notifications), you can set the battery warning to 50, 40 or 30%... I have all of them enabled, and get a notification when the battery drops that far.

Last edited:

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
hahaha ok noted..never thought of that. Since i always think that charging batteries while it still
has load on it will harm your batteries than draining it to 1 or 2%.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
hahaha ok noted..never thought of that. Since i always think that charging batteries while it still
has load on it will harm your batteries than draining it to 1 or 2%.

It's pretty much the other way around.

We don't live in the age of "memory effect" anymore. (Well, we never actually did)...

The sooner you charge, the better.

Also, don't leave it attached to charger, after it's full. Constantly topping it off, to keep it at 100% is also not good.

Samsung doesn't tell you this, because they want you to burn out your irreplaceable battery soon enough for you to buy the next model...

Last edited:

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
I might buy s7 Edge international version next year..It's around 400usd only here in UAE and keep
it at marshmallow. Upgrading it to nougat would repeat this headache again since i think they (Samsung) do purposely make updates for Older models suck so that they can purchase their newest
flagship.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Upgrading it to nougat would repeat this headache again since i think they (Samsung) do purposely make updates for Older models suck so that they can purchase their newest
flagship.

Yes, I experienced this with my S3. The more I updated it, the worse it got. In the end the camera needed 7 seconds just to open!

I solved that by flashing a custom ROM.

MY SGS7E has a similar fate awaiting it in the very near future.

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
here are the latest screenshots of my battery usage with 15% remaining of the battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170914-201309.jpg
    Screenshot_20170914-201309.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20170914-201253.jpg
    Screenshot_20170914-201253.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20170914-201243.jpg
    Screenshot_20170914-201243.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 14

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
here are the latest screenshots of my battery usage with 15% remaining of the battery.

Your stats look normal. I would LOVE to have stats like that!

Unfortunately I can not get Android System off the top of the list.

Also, that's some amazing battery life you have! 2 days? Wow.

Do you have Wi-Fi and/or Mobile Data enabled at all? I mean in the screenshot Wi-Fi is ON, but otherwise?

bedscenez

Aug 30, 2017
Visit site
my wifi is enabled with like 6 hours of that total screen on time..But that 5 hours 20 minutes is of SOT is like not enough i used to have 6 hours to 7 hours back on Marshmallow. By the way what Version of s7 edge you have do you have the
Snapdragon version also. Wish we have the exynos version.

Also i just noticed that having a Dark Theme and adjusting brightness to 30-60% doesnt make any difference..I still lose 1% every 5 minutes whether im just in the home screen without running any apps with wifi on. Just jealous of those guys with the exynos version having more SOT.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I can not get Android System off the top of the list.

Just on the off chance... Do you happen to have an SD card installed? Media indexer is one of the things Android System provides, and it's not all that uncommon to have a corrupted media file (picture, song, video) and have poor Android System trying to re-index that file over and over again, wasting CPU and battery.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I DO have an SD card installed. A Kingston 128GB 45MB/s.

I use it for large file storage and backups. It's not essential, I wouldn't even notice it's absence unless I go about installing new apps or updating old ones. (Because I auto backup up to 5 old versions of apps in case they get worse with updates)

Some settings might get messed up if I remove it, but it's totally worth the try, to see if the problem goes away.

I will remove it for a couple of days, and report back, if a miracle happens!

Thanks for the tip!

P.S. If this should turn out to be the problem, is there anything I can do to solve it, while keeping the SD card?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
P.S. If this should turn out to be the problem, is there anything I can do to solve it, while keeping the SD card?

The only way that I know of is to find and remove the corrupted file, if that is the cause of the problem.

Easiest way may be to back up the contents of the chip to a desktop, reformat the chip, and copy the stuff you really need back. The corruption could be in an EXIF (if picture) or MP3 (if audio) tag, though, so the file might be perfectly fine from a "can a desktop OS read it?" perspective but still bad in terms of trying to read the metadata on it and organize it into an album or whatnot.

Still, if taking the chip out helps, then you can always copy data off it, reformat it, and move what you really need on board back. If the problem comes back, then you know that either the card is having some problems or there's a bad file on there that is causing you problems. You could try using an indexing service on your desktop to see if it shows anything weird, or whatever.

H8FKAndroid

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Sadly, after a very short time without my SD card, it became obvious, that this is not the answer.

GSam still blames:
- 32.6% on Android System
- 28.4% on Kernel and only
- 16.0% on Screen

SystemPanel2 on the other hand says:
- 25.0% on Android System
- 19.3% on Logging Daemon
- 14.6% on Screen

Now for me, having been used to Screen always being on top in battery usage, this is bizzare, and annoys me to no end.

Because either the power use is being reported / assigned incorrectly, or my phone is wasting over a third of my battery on unnecessary tasks.

Interestingly, when GSam, for an unknown reason, temporarily loses access to the detailed app usage data, it shows a completely different, and much more reasonable power usage distribution - in those rare and unpredictable cases, the screen comes out as the top individial consumer, the apps only top it, due to being counted as a group.

I'll have to screencap it, next time it happens, or force it to happen, by removing a permission...

But this is what is leading me to believe, that it could be a reporting issue, and not actual absurd usage by System apps, especially, since otherwise, my phone's battery life and consumption per hour seem reasonable as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol