As the title says. Apart from a handful of variants, SIM #2 could only ever connect at 2G pre-Nougat.

I'm looking to pick up dual SIM unit, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance!
    11-13-2017 04:19 PM
    It's a pity that I had to actually purchase a SM-G935FD and post to answer my own question, but I will for the benefit of anyone else wondering the same thing.

The short answer is, yes, at least with Nougat (which is what my phone shipped with), you get 3G support out-of-the-box for the second SIM.

Some details which are not always apparent:

1. Either SIM card can be set to be the active data connection, and will assume an automatic LTE/3G/2G connection mode. The other SIM will automatically be set to 3G/2G, and can even be set to 3G only, but I found that unnecessary. Physically changing the SIM cards around to change modes is, in other words, not necessary.
    2. In dual SIM mode, 3CA (3 carrier aggregation) for LTE is disabled. I did find a drop in speed and an increase in dead zones as a result, but it was nothing that I couldn't live with.
    3. Dual SIM phones are always "Dual SIM Dual Standby" so keep in mind that if you make or take a call on your secondary SIM, features such as number lookup that require a data connection will not work, nor will any background activity such as app refreshes or incoming WhatsApp messages, until you hang up.
    4. This model is not tailored for North American markets, even though all the major band support is there, but there is no "LTE" icon in the signal notification. You will only see 4G or 4G+ even if you are actually getting LTE speeds.

All this said, I'm very happy moving up from my standard SM-G935W8 (32GB) to the SM-G935FD (128GB). I got to keep the features I love about Samsung and add some major sugar on top.
    12-09-2017 07:40 AM