Is it worth to buy a S9 if you have a S7 edge?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
From the 8 line to the 9 I wouldn't say much, but from the 7... Phew! You have a ton!! Better battery life, HDR/Dolby support, newer software, much faster processor, more RAM, and of course, the much improved camera compared to the S7 (with an additional 2x lens if you opt for the plus model). You also get the new Samsung Experience but if you use a different launcher already that might not be a problem.
You will get a better sound experience when user the phone's speakers.

Can't remember if the S7 was still 16:9 or not, but that's also a factor to consider: the screen ratio is now narrower, and that puts some people off.

jako607

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
From the 8 line to the 9 I wouldn't say much, but from the 7... Phew! You have a ton!! Better battery life, HDR/Dolby support, newer software, much faster processor, more RAM, and of course, the much improved camera compared to the S7 (with an additional 2x lens if you opt for the plus model). You also get the new Samsung Experience but if you use a different launcher already that might not be a problem.
You will get a better sound experience when user the phone's speakers.

Can't remember if the S7 was still 16:9 or not, but that's also a factor to consider: the screen ratio is now narrower, and that puts some people off.

Agreed. I just upgraded from my S7 Edge to an S9 plus (because the plus is barely bigger than the S7 Edge, whereas the S9 is actually smaller than the Edge and I thought it was too small based on how I liked the S7 Edge size). It is a world of difference in performance alone due to the 845 processor...everything FLIES compared to my Edge which was getting really slow, which made it well worth the upgrade for me. Also, the camera is way better, the added RAM will future proof the phone, and the stereo speakers make it way better watching/listening to anything on the phone. I am very happy I upgraded.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the smaller S9, coming from the S7 Edge. The RAM isn't an issue for me. I actually ran with a 2GB RAM A8 last November and a 3GB RAM J7pro in December for a couple of weeks each and both worked fine for me with the same setups. I just couldn't justify the need to spend extra on the other things the Plus had that I knew I wouldn't use. Basically the only thing in it that I would actually feel is the larger battery which wasn't a big deal since I always have a powerbank. And I wasn't waiting for the Note this year anyway and I was already eligible for an upgrade.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
The benefits are that you are going to make Samsung a little more richer LOL.

Kidding aside... If you are OK with a curved display and use your phone beyond the normal (medium to heavy user) then it's probably a worthy upgrade to the S9. Someone using it more on the light end of the scale, maybe not... For my type of use (mid-level) the spec bumps haven't made huge differences during day-to-day use so find this need to upgrade has now lessened. Shoot, even my three year old Android can hold its own and doesn't leave me feeling all that left out.

Mbrill73

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch but am returning the S9. Everything about the S9 is superior other than the camera. I couldn't be more disappointed in the camera performance of the S9. Images are soft and lack detail. I found that the S7 takes better pictures.