S7e Phone not sending DTMF tones?

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Strange issue. May be related to Oreo v. 8.0 update?

When I call my home answering machine, from my cell phone, I need to be able to access my answering machine & now I cannot. Need to press numbers, generating DTMF tones that the machine can recognize.
Keypad tone is turned on & I can hear the tones.

My old answering machine is AT&T 1739 which is 9 ½ years old. It has worked with remote function, all this time, including with this S7e phone.
Last week it stopped responding to remote tones. After troubleshooting the Machine, I gave up & bought the new model AT&T 1740.
To my surprise, I have the exact same problem!
Speaker phone function on or off, same problem.

I changed DTMF from normal to long, no help.

I can call other automatic systems such as AT&T help or Verizon & those automatic systems recognize my tones just fine!

If this was my 1st AT&T machine I would just buy a different brand.

Something changed, probably with my cell phone, so the tones it puts out are no longer recognized by my old & also my new AT&T answering machine.

I tried calling my home phone from my cell phone to see if, while I was speaking and recording a message on my answering machine, I could press some numbers and the tone would be recorded.

No tones were recorded! This is the problem! When my machine picks up and I press my security code no tones are being transmitted &/or received!

Any ideas?

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Update:
Since the Android update to v. 8.0.0, My S7e will not work with 2 different AT&T Answering machines.
This same Samsung phone DID work fine with the AT&T machine until the Android update.
The AT&T answering machines do not respond to remote commands when I press keys on my Samsung phone.
Changing DTMF from normal to long does not help.

My phone does work with other automatic systems that require entering numbers such as Verizon or Samsung tech support.
Other phones can work with my AT&T machine such as landlines, AT&T tech support.

The Android update broke something with the DTMF tones so AT&T answering machines no longer recognize the tones.

I called Verizon, they cannot help.
I called Samsung, they cannot help.
I called AT&T, they cannot help.

The problem seems to be that Android update. v. 8.0.0.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I had a friend try with their Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 8.0.0.

Did not work!

So if you call AT&T answering machine from any non Android v 8 phone, it works fine. Use any Android v 8 phone & AT&T machine will NOT work with remote codes.

This v. 8.0.0 update did something to break the ability of phone to send out DTMF tones.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Update-Summary

My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge no longer can send DTMF tones to an answering machine! Ever since the Android v.8 update. I need to send tones to access voice mail, on my answering machine, when away from home.

It worked fine for years with this same cell phone & my AT&T 1739 answering machine. I bought a new AT&T machine model 1740, same problem. I bought a Panasonic answering machine model KX-TGD530, same exact problem.

I changed the DTMF tone setting on my phone from normal to long, no help.

I am able to access any of these answering machines using; landline phone or old flip cell phone (Not Android)
I tested using a friend’s Samsung cell phone, running Android v 8 & that phone also was NOT able to send a DTMF tone that was recognized by these answering machines!

Even though I can hear the tone when I press a key on the keypad of my phone, that tone is NOT being transmitted when I am on a call. I called my answering machine & began speaking to record a test message & also pressed some keys. When I played back the recording, it recorded my voice but only silence when I was pressing keys on the keypad. Somehow, the cell phone has changed, so it does not send DTMF tones, once connected to a call.

WiFi calling is not activated
All Volume settings are at least 50%
Dialing keypad tones: on
Keyboard sound: on
System updates: have latest

Using speakerphone or not, no help

I need to fix this.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Question: what telephone service is your answering machine connected to? Old-fashioned landline? Service from your cable TV provider? What?

Can you take your answering machine to a friend's home (preferably one with landline service), plug it in and test it?

Based on experience I have had at work with fax machines connected to modern phone services, I'll bet the problem is with your home phone service, not the machine and not your Samsung phone.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.
No, I cannot try my answering machine at someone else’s house with landline service.

I have Landline telephone service from Cox Cable using their Cisco Cable modem for both Internet & phone.
Had this modem for more than 1 year.
Also had Samsung Phone more than 1 year.
Also AT&T answering machine many years.
All worked together just fine. I was able to call from my cell phone & enter tones & access Ans. M.
Until the Android v 8 update.

1st I replaced AT&T with new AT&T
Then replaced with Panasonic.

I discovered a friend with android v. 8 also cannot call my machine (any of them) & get it to hear the tones.
Phones that are NOT Android v 8 are able to call my home & get ans. m. to work.

I will call Cox but doubt that is it.

I can call people with my Android phone & they cannot hear any tone when I press a key. Neither can my ans. m.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I just called Cox phone tech support.

They never heard of this issue & also do not think it is their modem or service.

Everything points to Android v.8.
It must mute DTMF tones once the call is connected.

I think Few customers have landlines anymore & of those, most have voice mail service rather than answering machines.

So not many people to complain.

I may need to dump Android & get an iPhone.

Unbelievable.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just called Cox phone tech support.

They never heard of this issue & also do not think it is their modem or service.

Everything points to Android v.8.
It must mute DTMF tones once the call is connected.

I think Few customers have landlines anymore & of those, most have voice mail service rather than answering machines.

So not many people to complain.

I may need to dump Android & get an iPhone.

Unbelievable.

But, you said it works fine with other online services requiring DTMF tones.

Try this: dial 416-342-9562. Press # during the opening message, then, press menu option 8; if that works, press any single key on your phone and the voice should read back the number of the pressed key.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Does not work.

Says not enough $ in my acct. to place this call & when I press #, no effect, press 8, no effect.

However as I stated earlier, I AM able to use automated systems; Verizon, Samsung, AT&T, etc. with my cell phone. My conclusion is that an automated system is different vs. an answering machine or a live conversation. (Before I came to this conclusion, I replaced the answering machine.)

Something in the phone software must recognize the difference between a call being connected live (Person or answering machine answers the call) vs. an automated system. Seems strange that there is a difference but, that is what my tests seem to indicate.

When I say the DTMF tones are muted “once a call is connected” I mean once a live person or answering machine picks up the phone.
I know it seems strange to make a distinction between live & automated system but, it fits the data.

If you have an Android v 8 phone, can you call a friend & then press any key & your friend can hear the tone? I think not. If you have any other phone, they can hear the tone.

I read somewhere that during conference calls DTMF tones are muted so people cannot disrupt the call by accidentally pressing buttons & creating random tones. Whatever software causes this may be improperly turned on with the new v 8 update for all calls & is causing this problem.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I inadvertently gave you a number in Toronto. You might have better luck with one of these numbers; for example, 631-791-8378, a New York number. The Test Call

While your premise is reasonable, I can say with some degree of certainty that it does not apply to all Android phones; I certainly never had that problem when running Android 8 on my Google Pixel phones, for example.

Personally, I still think it is an interaction between, specifically, your phone and your Cox VOIP service. Is there really no place else that you can plug your AT&T answering machine in long enough to test it?

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the correct testing #.
The Test Call can correctly receive all my DTMF tones.
But so can the other automated services.

Why can no one I call, with my cell phone, hear my DTMF tones?

I read the Cox telephone with ADT thread. Good idea to consider this. I called my alarm company & the system has been calling in automatically daily for system check, as expected. So it does work with Cox VOIP.
If I had just switched to Cox VOIP with their telephone modem & the answering machine issue started, I’d be suspicious of Cox.

I think answering machines (AT&T & Panasonic & perhaps any brand) Need an audible DTMF tone to be transmitted over the phone line. My Cell phone used to do this & since the v 8 update no longer does.
Maybe automatic systems do not require an audible DTMF tone as explained in the “Test Call” (I think it was a recorded explanation, instead of reading a tone it reads “data.”)

I cannot find a way to contact Android. I cannot even send them feedback, which they would ignore:
https://support.google.com/android/answer/7674108?hl=en&ref_topic=7651525

My phone does not seem to have the send feedback command.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Update: FIXED with latest Android Update!

Android had a major system update today for my cell phone & now I am able to access my home answering machine (Panasonic) remotely!

All commands are now working.
Update: Android update: G935VVRS9CSB1